Grand Californian Super Thread Updated 11/7/13

StormyCA

Chief Troublemaker
Please tell me someone has a pic of the Mickey sugar?

Those Casabellas look like just the ticket.

TikiTikiFan

DIS Veteran
I wonder if it's like this? The resort we stayed at in Costa Rica had these and they were comfy
View attachment 502054
I called today to see if we could reserve since the hotels have the official go ahead to open and he told me the cabana rentals are on the same system as dining so when we see dining open that's when you can call to reserve this. He also confirmed this is what the smaller two person ones look like. Just thought I'd let you all know! :)

mouschievous

Mouseketeer
I called today to see if we could reserve since the hotels have the official go ahead to open and he told me the cabana rentals are on the same system as dining so when we see dining open that's when you can call to reserve this. He also confirmed this is what the smaller two person ones look like. Just thought I'd let you all know! :)
Fantastic news! We're a family of 4 adults, so I'm thinking 2 of the smaller options would work well - and be much cheaper than a full cabana 😊

• limace

DIS Veteran
    To be honest, I’d save my money if you weren’t going to do a full cabana. The regular lounge chairs are super comfy and umbrellas provide good shade and when we’ve been there, we haven’t had problems getting four together-and you get service at the regular chairs too (and I’m a cabana fan and typically get them in Vegas).

mouschievous

Mouseketeer
    To be honest, I’d save my money if you weren’t going to do a full cabana. The regular lounge chairs are super comfy and umbrellas provide good shade and when we’ve been there, we haven’t had problems getting four together-and you get service at the regular chairs too (and I’m a cabana fan and typically get them in Vegas).
    Can you typically find lounge chairs? I guess I'm used to places where if you don't reserve a cabana, and you don't get to the pool first thing, you're not getting a lounge chair. Of course, with the new situation, who knows what it will be like.

GlowTheWeird

Earning My Ears
    We go every November for a week, and we have never had an issue with loungers; that said- it’s November. Not sure if people are thinking pool. We only head to the pool if it’s warm enough to enjoy, but we haven’t had an issue. Maybe summer months are different though.

gottalovepluto

DIS Veteran
    Can you typically find lounge chairs? I guess I'm used to places where if you don't reserve a cabana, and you don't get to the pool first thing, you're not getting a lounge chair. Of course, with the new situation, who knows what it will be like.
    Everything is unknown because Social Distancing could result in chairs being removed as they attempt to maintain 6 feet between parties.

• TikiTikiFan

DIS Veteran
    Everything is unknown because Social Distancing could result in chairs being removed as they attempt to maintain 6 feet between parties.
    This was my concern plus we’re going before DLH opens and so many guests have been moved over to the GC so I don’t wanna risk not having a comfy place to relax for our pool day. I’m looking forward to a day of sitting by the pool and eating.... and drinking. 😅

crystal1313

DIS Veteran
    This was my concern plus we’re going before DLH opens and so many guests have been moved over to the GC so I don’t wanna risk not having a comfy place to relax for our pool day. I’m looking forward to a day of sitting by the pool and eating.... and drinking. 😅
    Exactly my concern. We are dedicating a whole day to the pool as well. SO looking forward to it!!

SeaDis

Mouseketeer
    There are tons of empty lounge chairs throughout the day and they usually have a clean folded pool towel laid on them for you.

If someone claims you are in "their chair" just move on to the next one. Repeat as needed. :thumbsup2

• MATTERHORN

<font color=purple>HA HA take that all of you unco
    If you are back at the pool before about 1pm on a warm/hot day, you can find loungers. Any later and it gets a little harder or impossible.

socks4dobby

Earning My Ears
    We are planning a trip next year to Disneyland with toddlers, and we are considering staying at the Grand Californian.

I’ve read some comments that said some of the rooms are a very long walk from the hotel exits. When we book, are we able to request a room location? Are there specific wings that anyone especially prefers or would recommend? I’ve never been to this hotel, but I know at other hotels (like Grand Wailea) we are able to request specific wings If available.

As always, I greatly appreciate any advice and comments. This community is incredible, and I’ve learned so much. This will be a very expensive trip for us, and this board has really helped us think through how to get the most value and maximize the experience. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

montreid

DIS Veteran
    Depends if you want Downtown Disney access/then to DL or DCA access and to possible DL that way and priority on quiet

300s balances out access with action inside/great hall music
    200s is quiet, but can be a distance walk to anything

Personally I like being right around the Great hall. love hanging around the Mezz landing.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.