Grand Californian Super Thread Updated 11/7/13

Nonsuch

DIS Veteran
Hello, I just got off the phone with an operator at the Grand Californian, and when I requested a room with the sinks separated from the sleeping area, he said that after the renovations, all of the rooms have the sinks adjacent to the sleeping area and none are behind a door. I thought for certain some folks said that there were a few (rare) rooms in which the sinks were behind a door. Can anyone confirm or deny? ...
This photo is from the Grand Californian site:
ada-queen-interior-16x9.jpg
The title of the photos says "ada queen", so this is a Handicap Accessible room.
Bathroom has a pocket door and beds are low.

Do a room search and select "Accessible Rooms", so see a list of various configurations.
Note: the photos are out of date (pre-renovation)

twodogs

DIS Veteran
We had a room like this with a pocket door earlier this year. It was a King with a sleeper chair and pull down bed. We didn’t request this specifically but it is just what we got. We had to move rooms after the first night due to a mix up, so maybe it was an ADA room that they were blocking out and then they gave it to us due to the mix up? Every other time we have stayed at the GCH (4 times this year already), we have not had the pocket door.

bandaidqueen

Earning My Ears
We have always had sink outside bathroom even before renovations. Have always had a pocket door separating sink area from toilet/shower or tub.

• julesann

DIS Veteran
    I am guessing this info is in this thread somewhere but I want to share something I learned the hard way this past week: I forgot my prescription sunglasses and my dh mailed them overnight express via USPS. He called the GCH for the hotel’s mailing address. However, they did not tell him that only UPS and Fedex packages go directly to the hotel.

If you send something via USPS or Amazon they will go to the resort’s administrative offices to be sorted and this will take an additional full day. So even though my glasses arrived by noon on property they did not arrive to the GCH until the next afternoon. Although I worked with Bell Services with many calls and visits to them, they were unable to expedite their arrival.

emchen

Let's explore!
    I am guessing this info is in this thread somewhere but I want to share something I learned the hard way this past week: I forgot my prescription sunglasses and my dh mailed them overnight express via USPS. He called the GCH for the hotel’s mailing address. However, they did not tell him that only UPS and Fedex packages go directly to the hotel.

If you send something via USPS or Amazon they will go to the resort’s administrative offices to be sorted and this will take an additional full day. So even though my glasses arrived by noon on property they did not arrive to the GCH until the next afternoon. Although I worked with Bell Services with many calls and visits to them, they were unable to expedite their arrival.
    That is definitely good to know. Sorry to hear about the hassle. Stuff like that seems like a missed opportunity by GCH to showcase some Disney Magic. Just my opinion.

Nonsuch

DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing, this information is not already in this thread.

• Disney_Alli

DIS Veteran
    That is definitely good to know. Sorry to hear about the hassle. Stuff like that seems like a missed opportunity by GCH to showcase some Disney Magic. Just my opinion.
    I had a similar problem when a purse I ordered was showing delivered but no one at the hotel could tell me where it was - I lost a little sleep over that as it was a Disney Dooney and we were only on property for 3 or 4 nights that trip but eventually I got it. I'm very sorry that happened with your glasses!

bluecruiser

DIS Veteran

That's a bummer ... I wanted to clarify that deliveries from Amazon Prime Now (their grocery/beer/etc. service) do not go to the resort's administrative offices. They end up with Bell Services, so there's no additional day delay to receive them.

traci

Doesn't want any Tags
    Hi, does anyone have any insight on room request for this category? The hotel is huge and I am wondering if there is location/floor to note on reservation :)

• dmar

Earning My Ears
    We booked a standard room last year and got upgraded to a partial view of the woods/monorail and that was awesome. Definitely enjoyed my coffee in the mornings in the balcony as the family was getting ready for magic morning/day. I used to buy the coffee at Hearthstone lounge, but now I'm going to have to check for the free coffee in the mornings at White water Snacks.

traci

Doesn't want any Tags
    Thank you all for the help - much appreciated! It's been a few years since we have been there and I wasn't sure

julesann

DIS Veteran
    We booked a standard room last year and got upgraded to a partial view of the woods/monorail and that was awesome. Definitely enjoyed my coffee in the mornings in the balcony as the family was getting ready for magic morning/day. I used to buy the coffee at Hearthstone lounge, but now I'm going to have to check for the free coffee in the mornings at White water Snacks.
    A few weeks ago coffee at White water snacks was disappointing---very weak. Had to dump it and get a cup later at Starbucks.

traci

Doesn't want any Tags
    What about parking? Is it convenient to self park at GCH or do you recommend valet?

TinkerTay

... A Pirate’s Life for Me
    I love the woods view rooms, they’re my favorite! It’s so nice and relaxing to sit on the balcony with the trees, and the monorail going by... I’ll be in one this weekend and can’t wait! Near the Napa Rose elevators is best for DCA entrance, but I’ve never had a bad woods view room while staying there. I’ve never had to park a car (we fly & shuttle) but apparently the self park lot is right across the street and easy access... :)

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates