Grand Californian Super Thread Updated 11/7/13

twodogs

DIS Veteran
Woods/Courtyard view rooms opened up at GCH for 10/18-10/21, which is our trip. I even got the winter sale rate for Sunday night. Off to cancel the DTD view room I had booked when nothing else was available. I’m saving $600 by moving from DTD view to Woods Courtyard, and by getting the sale for Sunday night.

Drnifer

Where's my super suit?
I am well versed in most things WDW, but have almost zero knowledge about Disneyland. A close friend is trying to get a reservation for the Grand Californian for specific dates in October 2019. All of my usual ways to find rooms are turning up nothing, including trying to book direct through the Disney website. Any tips or tricks on finding rooms there? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
This is probably a long shot, but there are DVC rental/exchange groups on FB that occasionally have confirmed reservations available for rent if the owner isn’t able to use the reservation. It’s worth a try.

• stardusty21

Mouseketeer
    We were there 2 weeks ago and used Vons (Pavillion) for grocery delivery. Arrived when they said they would and everything we ordered was there. They texted me when they arrived at the hotel and I met them down at the lobby and they brought the bags up to my room. Bell services will also bring them up for you.

StarlitNight05

DIS Veteran
    We were there 2 weeks ago and used Vons (Pavillion) for grocery delivery. Arrived when they said they would and everything we ordered was there. They texted me when they arrived at the hotel and I met them down at the lobby and they brought the bags up to my room. Bell services will also bring them up for you.
    The only caveat to this is that if you order alcohol you must meet the delivery person yourself -- Bell Services cannot accept alcohol for guests.

As a side note we've ordered from Prime Now with great success. I liked being able to track the driver through the app and see exactly when they were pulling in for the delivery. Another option for folks -- particularly if you already have an Amazon Prime membership. Delivery is free for orders over $35. There is usually a coupon code for $10 off for first time orders too.

• whjensen

Mouseketeer
    Hey there, we just booked a premium view at GCH and they put us in a pool view, which is fine. They also said specifically that the room is 2 queens only, no trundle.

1. My understanding is the 2 queen rooms don't have a sleeper chair, correct?
    2. Has anyone had success in calling the reservation line to move over to a theme park view? (Knowing there is no guarantees and it depends if there is a cancellation)

MrsD.Duck

Mouseketeer
    Hey there, we just booked a premium view at GCH and they put us in a pool view, which is fine. They also said specifically that the room is 2 queens only, no trundle.

2. Has anyone had success in calling the reservation line to move over to a theme park view? (Knowing there is no guarantees and it depends if there is a cancellation)
    I had to call early summer because i had made our reservation for a theme park view and they out it in as a pool view, changing itnto what i orginally thought i had told them cost an extra 100.00. The last few times our 2 queens was exactly that with a regular sofa.

tikimao

Earning My Ears
    Just returned from a lovely stay at the GCH. We had a standard view, but we were able to see a peek-a-boo view of the Disneyland fireworks:-). A nice treat since we got too tired to stay in the parks for them more than once.

Pool/hot tub hours were 9am- 9pm, with the Redwood pool (slide pool) open 10-6pm. I really wish they'd extend the pool hours--it would be so very nice to have a hot tub soak after a late night in the parks.

White Water Snacks is still there, that's where the free coffee for hotel guests is. The new Craftsman Lounge is lovely--great poolside lounge area, bar, and they bring you food if you are lounging around the pool. Really nice, we liked it a lot.

Bell services is awesome, super fast and friendly.

I can't imagine staying anywhere else on a trip to DL/DCA!

• julesann

DIS Veteran

Last October I had a 2 queen room with a trundle bed at the GCH.

azdisneylover

DIS Veteran
    Just got back from staying at the DGC. If you are the type of person who does a load or two of laundry (think Grizzly rapids soaked clothes), I highly suggest to call the day before you go to check the status of the laundry facilities.

emchen

Let's explore!
    I can't imagine staying anywhere else on a trip to DL/DCA!
    I couldn’t either so I tried staying at the Fairfield Inn Gateway property...which is probably about the same distance to The Esplanade.

Save you the long version...I need a better imagination, lol! Worth it to stay on Disney Property. Serene stroll through DTDL compared with walking through “the real world”!

gottalovepluto

DIS Veteran
    I couldn’t either so I tried staying at the Fairfield Inn Gateway property...which is probably about the same distance to The Esplanade.

Save you the long version...I need a better imagination, lol! Worth it to stay on Disney Property. Serene stroll through DTDL compared with walking through “the real world”!
    It was the light literally falling out of the (barely functioning) hot tub (noticed after I got into the hot tub) that sealed FI as a “nope” in my book.

gottalovepluto

DIS Veteran
    Anyone know how to contact the Grand Californian. We stayed in August and they have put through a charge on my credit card despite us not charging to the room and I have no idea who or how to complain
    I may be too late but call Disney and ask for the Hotel Billing telling them you have an error on your bill.

whjensen

Mouseketeer
    Last October I had a 2 queen room with a trundle bed at the GCH.
    Thanks. I asked about that. They said that the particular room I'm booked into does not have the trundle. I should add that just had a conversation with one of the reservation agents and she explained that they are actually still two classes of rooms and the theme park view has a different price. Go figure.

Runnsally

DIS Veteran
    Hi, all. First time to DL. Can I activate an e-ticket at the Grand Californian hotel DCA entrance or do I have to go to the main DCA park entrance? Thanks!

tankgirl!

Earning My Ears
    Hello, I just got off the phone with an operator at the Grand Californian, and when I requested a room with the sinks separated from the sleeping area, he said that after the renovations, all of the rooms have the sinks adjacent to the sleeping area and none are behind a door. I thought for certain some folks said that there were a few (rare) rooms in which the sinks were behind a door. Can anyone confirm or deny? If they do exist, what do I need to ask for (type of room)? Thanks, I'm checking in tomorrow and would really appreciate the help. In my family we have really early risers who get ready early and it'd be great to give them more privacy (and more sleep for the others!).

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates