Grand Californian Super Thread Updated 11/7/13

Rey Del Suicide

Earning My Ears
Wondering if anyone can help me out, How convenient are the laundry rooms? And can you bring your own detergent/fab softener? Thank you in advance.

Runnsally

DIS Veteran
First time at DL and the GCH this November. We have courtyard view booked. I’ve read a room near the Napa Rose elevators provides a preferable location and also think a view of the monorail would be cool. Any suggestions re room requests for the courtyard category? Thanks in advance.

• ParkHopper1

DIS Veteran
    First time at DL and the GCH this November. We have courtyard view booked. I’ve read a room near the Napa Rose elevators provides a preferable location and also think a view of the monorail would be cool. Any suggestions re room requests for the courtyard category? Thanks in advance.
    All the Courtyard rooms have Monorail view...it runs right through the middle of the Courtyard.

sheri236

Mouseketeer
    We have a standard view booked for our upcoming trip. Prefer to be near the napa rose elevators, is that an option for standard? Had a courtyard view last time and it was a perfect location

Minniesgal

DIS Veteran
    Anyone know how to contact the Grand Californian. We stayed in August and they have put through a charge on my credit card despite us not charging to the room and I have no idea who or how to complain

ParkHopper1

DIS Veteran
    We have a standard view booked for our upcoming trip. Prefer to be near the napa rose elevators, is that an option for standard? Had a courtyard view last time and it was a perfect location
    Stand rooms overlook the front of the hotel...but I do know that they sell way more standard rooms than they have in inventory which is why many commonly get upgrades. There are zero guarantees, but putting in that request may up your chances of getting a Courtyard.

• tankgirl!

Earning My Ears
    Is the viewing area for World of Color open to all guests or just those on the concierge level? I've heard varying reports from different websites. Thank you!

sgrap

DIS Veteran
    Is the viewing area for World of Color open to all guests or just those on the concierge level? I've heard varying reports from different websites. Thank you!
    If you are talking about the patio on the 6th floor of the DVC wing, then my understanding it that it is open to all hotel guests. You do need a room key to get into that area, though. Honestly, the view from that patio is very off to the side, so if you can go into the park to view it, you will have a *much* better vantage point.

tankgirl!

Earning My Ears
    Thanks. My daughter won't stay up late enough for World of Color in the park, but I thought we might catch a glimpse from the patio. I appreciate the info!

• Woody and Buzz

Earning My Ears
    We are staying at the Grand Californian for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day this year. This will be our first time staying at GH. My question is would you upgrade your room view to deluxe partial view? Currently I have a standard view booked but now wondering if I upgrade for Christmas....

Thank you for any comments or insight.

DizMe

Here we gooooo...
    I personally would not bother unless it's not much more. At GCH, the location of the room is much more important, IMO, than the view. Frankly, there aren't great views for the most part; some of the rooms can be very far away from everything so I always request a room near an elevator. Specifically, I like the rooms over the Napa Rose wing. There aren't a lot of standard view rooms there but lower floors and obstructed views = standard, so I often get what I've requested. That wing is very nice and has its own elevator bank that comes out next to Napa Rose (very close to the DCA entrance from the hotel). Many of the theme park view rooms don't give you much of a view because of the trees or they're far away. DTD view is also typically a long walk. There are nice pool view rooms and the courtyard rooms have a view of the monorail going by, but I'd still rather be close to the lobby and elevators. I do sometimes book a premium room when a special is running because there are times when the premium room is the same or close to the same price as a standard due to the way they give discounts for the premium that even it up.

I just noticed you said Christmas Eve and Christmas, so I'd definitely request something near the lobby. It's spectacular and so fun to look down at the tree, carolers, Santa, and everything going on below.

ParkHopper1

DIS Veteran
    I just noticed you said Christmas Eve and Christmas, so I'd definitely request something near the lobby. It's spectacular and so fun to look down at the tree, carolers, Santa, and everything going on below.
    I have had a room off the lobby during Christmas...while you are correct it is nice to look down onto all the festivities and music...it is not so nice having to hear that non stop in your room! A lot of that noise carries into the lobby facing rooms.

I agree the views at the GCH are pretty weak...I would keep the Standard and hope for a Courtyard view...that is my favorite with a the Monorail running through, the rest of the categories are not worth the price hike IMO.

StarlitNight05

DIS Veteran
    We are staying at the Grand Californian for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day this year. This will be our first time staying at GH. My question is would you upgrade your room view to deluxe partial view? Currently I have a standard view booked but now wondering if I upgrade for Christmas....

Thank you for any comments or insight.
    I'd keep the standard room too. We usually book standard, and have been upgraded to courtyard most of the time. Last time we received a true standard room and had a view of the parking lot/front entrance. However, this room was still a decent location, still were able to get a glimpse of the monorail, and when we sat on our balcony at night we could hear faint music coming from DtD (it was actually really nice!). We'd happily stay in that location again.

I've heard some nightmare stories of people paying a premium for a better view, only to get a view of trees.

gpjacobs

Mouseketeer
    Does anyone know the pool/hot tub hours? Can't seem to find those details online.

UPDATE: Has anyone participated in the hotel's "Rise & Stretch" class. That sounds so nice but 5:45 a.m. ...

crvetter

DIS Veteran
    Just thinking ... is there a hot tub at GCH? And, if so, what are the pool hours. Can't seem to find those details online.
    There are 2 hot tubs. Also I believe the latest pool, based on my trip two weeks ago, was from 9 AM to 10 PM and the latest open hot tub closed at 9 PM. The other pools had earlier closing times throughout the day.

gpjacobs

Mouseketeer
    There are 2 hot tubs. Also I believe the latest pool, based on my trip two weeks ago, was from 9 AM to 10 PM and the latest open hot tub closed at 9 PM. The other pools had earlier closing times throughout the day.
    OK, so if we want to get some hot tub time in to soothe away the park-day aches, we can't stay until closing. Good to know. Thanks!

ashmom5545

Earning My Ears
    Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't seem to find any information on it. Is there a grocery delivery service to GCH? We will be in the parks in the morning before check in. We are actually flying in and will not be renting a car so it will be easier for us to have small snack stuff and water delivered. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates