Grand Californian Super Thread Updated 11/7/13

chimo2u

DIS Veteran
There are two way to get to the Esplanade to enter the Disnyland gate from the GCH. From the GCH lobby you can either go though DTD or into DCA then exit DCA into the Esplanade. All things being equal with no security backups it is almost identical time and distance either route.

Now if it is park open for DCA, census is to avoid the DCA age from GCH and head through DTD as that can get backed up at DCA rope drop.
Thanks for your reply! This sounds counter-productive to me since one would think that the perk of staying at GCH would be to enter via the private entrance into DCA from the Grand! :P Is the line up really that bad from the Grand into DCA for magic mornings??

SeaDis

Mouseketeer
A couple random tips:
  • Have Bell Services take your bags directly from the your car (or taxi), since there can be a line to check bags inside.
  • Club Level guests can check-in on the 6th floor (near the elevators off the lobby)
Love these two tips. Will get you started on the right foot. Do not wait in the lobby check-in line. If anything, go straight to the greeting cast member and just verify the Club Concierge is available for check-in upstairs. Go straight there.

Thanks for your reply! This sounds counter-productive to me since one would think that the perk of staying at GCH would be to enter via the private entrance into DCA from the Grand! :P Is the line up really that bad from the Grand into DCA for magic mornings??
It's a great perk the rest of the day. But mixed results in the morning and, at a minimum, you should get to the GCH/DCA entrance EARLY to make it effective and have a good experience. I would rather spend those extra minutes feeling not-so-rushed.

Another nice bonus of going to DCA through Downtown Disney is mobile order Starbucks from the room and pick it up on the way. You will arrive at DCA main gates with your pick of shorter lines and nice food/drink in hand. Ready to go!

Aladora

DIS Veteran
We just checked out today and we used the DCA entrance for EMH Monday and Wednesday. Monday we arrived at the entrance just a minute or two after 7 (for a 7am EMH). There was one couple ahead of us. Wednesday we got there around 6:45 and we were back halfway to WWS. We were in the parks and on our way right at 7:01. This was also our experience two years ago so for us, we have no problem using the private entrance early in the morning.

• franandaj

I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!
    Also our first night we are having dinner at SH55 which I hear is in DLH. What's our best bet to get there and back to the Grand without getting lost?
    When going to the DLH, for S55 or Trader Sam's, I prefer going the route that avoids DTD and security. Not that I have anything to hide, but you can get really delayed having to go through long bag check lines. At the Grand, just follow the path out near where the entrance shack is for the cars. There is a security gate that requires a room key to get back into the hotel, but since you're staying there you're covered. Cross Disneyland Drive and follow the path past the Paradise Pier hotel. There is a small "roundabout" at the end of that street. It's also where the Self Parking lot for the Grand ends, follow the sidewalk to the right towards Downtown Disney. You'll see a path on the left which will take you past one of the towers of the DLH. Trader Sam's is at the top of the walkway when you emerge, just keep following the path either over the ramp that goes over the pool area, or turn right to walk along the side of the hotel. There will be signs to help you find, it, but it is in the same building as the lobby, just tucked into the back far corner of that building.

Mama_Cass

Earning My Ears
    Quick question re the newly reopened white water snacks...is that the craftsman grill?? Wondering if it still has a microwave and toaster for hotel guests and water (the soda fountains used to have a water option I believe). Thanks in advance :)

Aladora

DIS Veteran
    Quick question re the newly reopened white water snacks...is that the craftsman grill?? Wondering if it still has a microwave and toaster for hotel guests and water (the soda fountains used to have a water option I believe). Thanks in advance :)
    I can answer one of your questions! There are Coke Freestyle machines that do have water.

• azdisneylover

DIS Veteran
    There are microwaves where the ice machines on each floor. I know it has been posted before on the boards. I will try to find it. I think there was a snack machine or soda machine in there too. Not a big microwave, so if you have a lot to nuke, be prepared for it to take a little bit.

DisneyWishes14

DIS Veteran
    DS11 and I will most likely be visiting DL in March 2020. I've decided I'd like to book GCH, however, I'm having difficulty choosing a room category. I'm quite sensitive to noise and, at this point, when we visit WDW, I now only book 1- or dedicated, 2-bedroom villas in DVC resorts just to ensure there is no exterior door in the bedroom area of our hotel room. Because of this, I think I might have to book a one-bedroom suite at GCH (with a request of 2 queen beds). I'm just wondering - 1) in the one bedroom suites, is there only one exterior door in the living room area of the suite, or will there be an exterior door in the bedroom area as well? 2) Is there a quieter area of the resort I should request? In the description of the room it says we may have "Views of Woods, Theme Park, Downtown Disney District or Pool". I'm assuming I should place a request for a "woods" view for a quieter area, is that correct?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

sgrap

DIS Veteran
    DS11 and I will most likely be visiting DL in March 2020. I've decided I'd like to book GCH, however, I'm having difficulty choosing a room category. I'm quite sensitive to noise and, at this point, when we visit WDW, I now only book 1- or dedicated, 2-bedroom villas in DVC resorts just to ensure there is no exterior door in the bedroom area of our hotel room. Because of this, I think I might have to book a one-bedroom suite at GCH (with a request of 2 queen beds). I'm just wondering - 1) in the one bedroom suites, is there only one exterior door in the living room area of the suite, or will there be an exterior door in the bedroom area as well? 2) Is there a quieter area of the resort I should request? In the description of the room it says we may have "Views of Woods, Theme Park, Downtown Disney District or Pool". I'm assuming I should place a request for a "woods" view for a quieter area, is that correct?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
    As far as the DVC units go, if you mean from the room into the hallway, in the 1-bedroom unit and the dedicated 2-bedroom unit, the only door to the hallway is from the entryway off the kitchen area. Of course there are balcony sliding glass doors as well. I would definitely not request the theme park view. Even the woods view really is close to California Adventure, but it would probably be slightly quieter than the theme park view. I can't speak to the hotel room views, just the DVC unit. If you look at a map of the property, you can kind of get a good idea where things face. Ultimately, GCH is in the middle of Downtown Disney and California Adventure, so in my experience none of the rooms are super quiet. I am a very light sleeper as well, so I travel with a white noise machine and sleep with ear plugs in.

DisneyWishes14

DIS Veteran
    I am now considering booking a standard view - club level room at GCH. Are all of those rooms located on the 6th floor? What kind of view might we get with standard view. I'm really mostly concerned that our room is quiet - any suggestions are appreciated!

• azdisneylover

DIS Veteran
    I am now considering booking a standard view - club level room at GCH. Are all of those rooms located on the 6th floor? What kind of view might we get with standard view. I'm really mostly concerned that our room is quiet - any suggestions are appreciated!
    The front of the hotel on the 6th floor overlooking the parking lot is standard view. I do think all club standard rooms are on the 6th floor. Hubby sleeps with the TV on, so I couldn't tell you how loud or quiet the rooms are.

Delilah1310

DIS Veteran
    Hubby sleeps with the TV on, so I couldn't tell you how loud or quiet the rooms are.
    this is unrelated to the Grand Californian but I just wanted to thank you for posting this!
    I sleep with the TV on and my DH thinks I am the only person who does that!
    So I feel vindicated and not quite so alone! Thank you!

azdisneylover

DIS Veteran
    this is unrelated to the Grand Californian but I just wanted to thank you for posting this!
    I sleep with the TV on and my DH thinks I am the only person who does that!
    So I feel vindicated and not quite so alone! Thank you!
    Actually, it is, because there are TVs in the rooms and hubby uses it for "white noise". So, I couldn't say if the noise level was high.

wallawallakids

DIS Veteran
    To be honest, I find the Grand to be one of the louder hotels on property. I’ve only stayed there three times but each time I’ve found it to be louder then the Disneyland hotel. If you choose to stay at the grand I would be sure to get a room far from the common areas and elevators/stairs. In the morning and evenings there is a lot of traffic and the last time we were close to the big atrium and it was quite loud between that and DTD noise. It doesn’t bother me, but I notice it and it has bothered my kids in the past. I’ve even found the PP hotel to be quieter but the only time we stayed there we were on a high floor so that might have been why it was so quiet on that trip.

cruisehopeful

Wishing I was taking a nap on a ship.
    I'm really mostly concerned that our room is quiet - any suggestions are appreciated!
    o be honest, I find the Grand to be one of the louder hotels on property
    It's been one of the loudest hotels that I've ever stayed in. In the main building, there is loud music all day until around 10pm. I had a room there once and it was very loud inside the room. We only used the room for shower and sleep, so it didn't matter, but if we wanted to take a nap during the day, we would have had to move.

I've had downtown Disney view - very loud at night, of course.

I've had rooms by Goofy's rollercoaster - people screaming throughout the day.

I had a room in "one of the most quiet areas of the hotel" and happened to be next to a family that was always in there room with a young girl who was very loud and who like to run the hallway and go in and out the door to their room constantly.

I don't think I've ever had a quiet room at the Grand.

julesann

DIS Veteran
    As an alternative perspective, I have found the GCH to be remarkably quiet in all (6) of my stays. I don't hear anyone in the hallway or next door. I also don't hear outside noise until I open the slider and then, of course, it can be quite loud depending on the room's location.

ParkHopper1

DIS Veteran
    I stay in different hotels weekly an CGH is one of the quietest rooms I get to stay in...with one exception...if you right off the main lobby those rooms can resonate a lot of noise bit the rest of the interior rooms are amazingly quiet.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

DIS INSTAGRAM