Grand Californian Super Thread Updated 11/7/13

eeyore81

DIS Veteran
We have a 2 night stay coming up in October. The extra magic hour happens to be a California Adventure for both days we are there. We intend to take advantage of it one day but go to Disneyland the other day. If we have park hoppers is it better to cut through DCA (during the extra magic hour) to get to Disneyland for park opening?

nathos

Earning My Ears
We have a 2 night stay coming up in October. The extra magic hour happens to be a California Adventure for both days we are there. We intend to take advantage of it one day but go to Disneyland the other day. If we have park hoppers is it better to cut through DCA (during the extra magic hour) to get to Disneyland for park opening?
I would head out from GC via the Downtown Disney exit and walk directly to the Disneyland gates

chrisaman

Mouseketeer
we stayed at the villas a couple weeks ago and absolutely fell in love with them. I know they are sold out but is there a wait list you can get on with Disney or is the only option resale? If there is a wait list how long is it?
If you aren't on the wait list you aren't getting it through Disney. Looking resale is really your only option. If you even were to get on a waitlist you will be waiting at least 10 years

• franandaj

I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!
    If you aren't on the wait list you aren't getting it through Disney. Looking resale is really your only option. If you even were to get on a waitlist you will be waiting at least 10 years
    Seriously? I'm so glad we bought our contracts direct when we did! Of all that we own I value my VGC points most above all others and we only live 25 minutes away!

TheZue

DIS Veteran
    Thanks for the timeline :) we are about two years from buying, but 10 is right out! Looks like it will be resale for us.

Becca1007

Mouseketeer
    Depending on how early you get up and if you have maxpass... I would get up and scan into DCA and start booking your fastpasses, then exit the park and get in line for Disneyland. The DL lines will be long but you will be at an advantage as you can already be starting the timer on your first fastpass! 8-)

• Laurieannc

Mouseketeer
    I am well versed in most things WDW, but have almost zero knowledge about Disneyland. A close friend is trying to get a reservation for the Grand Californian for specific dates in October 2019. All of my usual ways to find rooms are turning up nothing, including trying to book direct through the Disney website. Any tips or tricks on finding rooms there? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

pharmama

DIS Veteran
    I am well versed in most things WDW, but have almost zero knowledge about Disneyland. A close friend is trying to get a reservation for the Grand Californian for specific dates in October 2019. All of my usual ways to find rooms are turning up nothing, including trying to book direct through the Disney website. Any tips or tricks on finding rooms there? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Keep checking. If the Disney website doesn't have availability then there likely isn't any, though the other option is to try and call. But cancellations happen all the time. I needed a particular room at PPH back in June and I just kept a tab open with the date query on my browser and checked several times a day. It took a couple days but I was eventually able to book what I needed.

What dates are they trying to get?

twodogs

DIS Veteran
    There is a large produce convention there the week leading up to the weekend of 10/18. I have been struggling to find a room for that weekend, but I finally got it by doing as OP said, looking every day. I had to get a more expensive view than I wanted, but I got it. I think booking with Disney directly is always the easiest. You just often have to be persistent.

ParkHopper1

DIS Veteran
    If there are none through Disney directly there are not going to be any on third party sites either. While they do allow bookings through third parties they do not generally sell blocks or hold any back for those resellers that would not also be available by booking direct.

Now if they are holding rooms that they later release...that does happen but those would be available by booking direct as well.

Start by keeping an eye out on the Disney site...then IF there is availability you can then snoop around if a third party can access those cheaper. Except when I am booing though American Express Travel on points, I aways book direct.

• Laurieannc

Mouseketeer
    @pharmama @twodogs @ParkHopper1
    Thank you all so very much! I will keep checking for her. She wants to go from October 18-21 so she can meet up with friends who will also be there at the same time so they can do the parks together with their kids. Hopefully something will turn up!

twodogs

DIS Veteran
    @pharmama @twodogs @ParkHopper1
    Thank you all so very much! I will keep checking for her. She wants to go from October 18-21 so she can meet up with friends who will also be there at the same time so they can do the parks together with their kids. Hopefully something will turn up!
    That is the produce convention. We are going the exact same dates. I think I saw that the room block releases 9/20, so rooms may open up.

GeneralTso

DIS Veteran
    I book direct online via the Annual Passholder tab. If a better deal comes up, I call and they make the adjustment. This just happened for our last trip. It saved me hundreds of dollars plus we received Fast Passes and a $20 food voucher. Always worth following up and making sure you got the best promotion. They release stuff all the time.

chimo2u

DIS Veteran
    Only 12 days to go until we are at GCH Club level for my first DL stay in 28 years! I'm so excited that my adult sons are joining us (23/27) and staying at the Grand too! So are we best to use DCA entrance as our way to get in every day?? I am trying to understand the lay of the land, but it's hard to picture where we need to go. If we are doing a DL day, is it just as easy to go through the Grand to DCA entrance for our entry?? or do we walk through DTD to the main gates?? Also our first night we are having dinner at SH55 which I hear is in DLH. What's our best bet to get there and back to the Grand without getting lost? Thanks for any tidbits you can offer!

Nonsuch

DIS Veteran
    Only 12 days to go until we are at GCH Club level for my first DL stay in 28 years!...
    There have been many changes in 28 years :goodvibes
    ...So are we best to use DCA entrance as our way to get in every day?? I am trying to understand the lay of the land, but it's hard to picture where we need to go. If we are doing a DL day, is it just as easy to go through the Grand to DCA entrance for our entry?? or do we walk through DTD to the main gates??...
    I recommend going through DTD to the main entrances of DL and DCA, for the first hour of park opening. This avoids a possible long line at the GCH entrance to DCA, at other times this entrance is very convenient.
    ...Also our first night we are having dinner at SH55 which I hear is in DLH. What's our best bet to get there and back to the Grand without getting lost?...
    It's an easy walk to SH55. Exit GCH into DTD and turn left. DLH is at the end of DTD. SH55 is in the far short building (the other buildings are hotel towers).
    ...Thanks for any tidbits you can offer!
    A couple random tips:
    • Have Bell Services take your bags directly from the your car (or taxi), since there can be a line to check bags inside.
    • Club Level guests can check-in on the 6th floor (near the elevators off the lobby)

sgrap

DIS Veteran
    Only 12 days to go until we are at GCH Club level for my first DL stay in 28 years! I'm so excited that my adult sons are joining us (23/27) and staying at the Grand too! So are we best to use DCA entrance as our way to get in every day?? I am trying to understand the lay of the land, but it's hard to picture where we need to go. If we are doing a DL day, is it just as easy to go through the Grand to DCA entrance for our entry?? or do we walk through DTD to the main gates?? Also our first night we are having dinner at SH55 which I hear is in DLH. What's our best bet to get there and back to the Grand without getting lost? Thanks for any tidbits you can offer!
    We love to enter DCA first when going to DL, but sometimes they open at the same time or DL opens earlier. In those cases, go through DTD. Even though you hear not to use the Grand entrance into DCA first thing, we have always been inside DCA before opening time (at a rope) even when the lines have been long at Grand entrance. Either way, you are going to go through security. I suppose security opens earlier into DTD, but it has never made a difference when we have used one way vs. another.

We also love to return from DL back to the Grand through DCA if it is open and there isn't a line to enter. I don't know if it is actually shorter, but it seems shorter to us--or just more enjoyable.

One easy way we find the Grand entrance from DTD is to look for the Sephora store (can you tell we have teenage daughters? haha). The Grand entrance from DTD is right next to Sephora. There is a Disney dress store on the other side of the entrance.

Enjoy!!

ParkHopper1

DIS Veteran
    If we are doing a DL day, is it just as easy to go through the Grand to DCA entrance for our entry?? or do we walk through DTD to the main gates??
    There are two way to get to the Esplanade to enter the Disnyland gate from the GCH. From the GCH lobby you can either go though DTD or into DCA then exit DCA into the Esplanade. All things being equal with no security backups it is almost identical time and distance either route.

Now if it is park open for DCA, census is to avoid the DCA age from GCH and head through DTD as that can get backed up at DCA rope drop.

Laurieannc

Mouseketeer
    That is the produce convention. We are going the exact same dates. I think I saw that the room block releases 9/20, so rooms may open up.
    I hope you are right! Will keep checking! Thanks!

I book direct online via the Annual Passholder tab. If a better deal comes up, I call and they make the adjustment. This just happened for our last trip. It saved me hundreds of dollars plus we received Fast Passes and a $20 food voucher. Always worth following up and making sure you got the best promotion. They release stuff all the time.
    Will keep checking, thanks!!!

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates