Grand Californian Super Thread Updated 11/7/13

Castillo Mom

DIS Veteran
I just had a thought. Since this is a poolside bar, I’m wondering if it’ll only be accessible to hotel guests.

ETA: I stand corrected. WD NT is reporting that it’ll be open to non hotel guests. They also have the full menu posted.

Last edited:

cpster

Mouseketeer
The new pool bar looks great but I worry that it will add to the limited pool chair situation. I hope there’s a gate between the pool and the bar.

• Nonsuch

DIS Veteran
  • gardengirl2790

Mouseketeer
    The official announcement:

Bar seating goes down onto the pool deck:
    View attachment 414131
    I’m so sad about this. There already wasn’t enough poolside seating for hotel guests. I guess Disney just wants you to reserve a cabana if you want to use the pool. We will have to stay somewhere else from now. ☹

MrsD.Duck

Mouseketeer
    I’m so sad about this. There already wasn’t enough poolside seating for hotel guests. I guess Disney just wants you to reserve a cabana if you want to use the pool. We will have to stay somewhere else from now. ☹
    Lack of seating around the pool is why we never use it when we stay there. Was hoping to relax there this trip but looks like we will just chill in our room like we normally do.

azdisneylover

DIS Veteran
    In order to just relax in the pool area, you have to get a wrist band? Why can't we just use the room key? Ugh, that really isn't right. I looked at the pictures and thought to myself, wow, Disney is adding nice touches to GCH pool area that makes staying there a little bit easier to justify to the budget, but seeing that it is open to ANYONE, yikes! I do not like that one bit.

cpster

Mouseketeer
  • Zooey

Mouseketeer
    Read on Twitter that they had a DJ playing Lady Gaga at the pool. Is that new with the bar or have they always done that?

DisSurfer878

Earning My Ears
    In order to just relax in the pool area, you have to get a wrist band? Why can't we just use the room key? Ugh, that really isn't right. I looked at the pictures and thought to myself, wow, Disney is adding nice touches to GCH pool area that makes staying there a little bit easier to justify to the budget, but seeing that it is open to ANYONE, yikes! I do not like that one bit.

Just sayin, I've had to get a wrist band for the pool at significantly less pricey and exclusive and nice hotels.
    It's a fairly common practice at many hotels today to keep people from booking a room at a hotel just for the pool, then inviting their 989240 cousins to come swim.

DisSurfer878

Earning My Ears
    They are real tight on the wrist bands for the pool. very nice area, they had a guitar player start at 4. Nachos looked good.
    Interested to see how this works. We stayed last August and spent an entire day at the pool not knowing we needed wrist bands, and not a single person even said anything to us, and they were supposedly "strict" about it then too.
    Curious how they will handle similarly clueless guests like us, lol!

gottalovepluto

DIS Veteran
    Interested to see how this works. We stayed last August and spent an entire day at the pool not knowing we needed wrist bands, and not a single person even said anything to us, and they were supposedly "strict" about it then too.
    Curious how they will handle similarly clueless guests like us, lol!
    They’re perfectly appropriate about it. If a lifeguard notices they’ll just ask to see your room key and will get you set up with wristbands then. Nothing is awkward as long as you’re not sneaking in. Just remember to have them cut it off before you leave or you’ll be stuck trying to get them off with nail clippers.

disneymum58

DIS Veteran
    I have been at the pool in the past when they gave out wristbands. I also saw lots of swimmers without wristbands so I hope they are more consistent in enforcing this when we return in October.

Aurora0427

DIS Veteran
    Hi, we are newbies to Disneyland.... sorry if this has been asked recently. We want to stay at the Grand for Christmas, since this will be our first Christmas away from family, having just moved to San Diego in June. Any chance they’ll offer a room discount at Christmas? Haha I know, I’m crazy, but just thought I’d ask. Looking forward to reading through this entire thread!

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

DIS INSTAGRAM