Grand Californian Super Thread Updated 11/7/13

Nonsuch

DIS Veteran
Looking forward to pics!...
The original porte cochere only had a roof in the center, aligned with the front door of the hotel.
Much of the porte cochere was decorative.
A few years ago:
gch_pc_old.jpg

The lattice work has has been replaced by a flat roof.
December 2018:
gch_pc1.jpg
gch_pc2.jpg
Added, view from above.
Typical Sunday checkin rush (March 3, 10AM)
gch_pc_sun.jpg

Last edited:

azdisneylover

DIS Veteran
The original porte cochere only had a roof in the center, aligned with the front door of the hotel.
Much of the porte cochere was decorative.
A few years ago:
View attachment 385752

The lattice work has has been replaced by a flat roof.
December 2018:
View attachment 385753
View attachment 385755

Are you staying CL? If so, would you please take a few pics of the offerings? Since Storytellers changed to buffet only, I am curious if the offerings in CL has changed.
Thanks.

sammykster

Mouseketeer
Any updates on the pool bar construction? Also - while they're working on it do they still have the servers walking around for drink orders or is that not happening now? Thanks!

• Save up to 25% in Early 2020!
    Visit the Disneyland Resort in early 2020 and save up to 25% on a stay at the Disneyland Resort Hotels.
    This offer must be booked by 03/14/20, with travel completed by 04/17/20. This offer is good most nights 01/05/20 to 04/16/20!
    Click Here for Details

• Nonsuch

DIS Veteran
    Any updates on the pool bar construction? Also - while they're working on it do they still have the servers walking around for drink orders or is that not happening now? Thanks!
    Very little progress on the Pool Bar.
    The job site has been cleaned up and some tarps cover the dirt, but no additional steel.

Photo from March 3:
    gch_pool_mar.jpg

I did not use the pool, but would expect there is still service.

jillyh

Mouseketeer
    Thanks Nonsuch! Looks like not much progress at all over the past month:(. I'm sure the rain isn't helping.

gottalovepluto

DIS Veteran
    Are you staying CL? If so, would you please take a few pics of the offerings? Since Storytellers changed to buffet only, I am curious if the offerings in CL has changed.
    Thanks.
    I am next week! I’m awful at remembering to take photos of the offerings but I’ll give it a shot.

• smiles33

DIS Veteran
    Hi all, I read a few of the more recent pages but can someone tell me what room requests I should put in if I want 3 separate beds (my 2 kids don't share a bed very well)? I assumed 1 King Bed and 1 Day Bed and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair (per the DLR hotel website), but is it better to ask for 2 Queen Beds and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair?

I read that folks seem to like rooms by the Napa Rose elevator, but I also wanted to ask if the rooms by the Napa Rose elevator are quiet. DH is a light sleeper, but I also don't want to walk really long hallways at the end of a very long day. We have just a standard view room as I didn't want to pay extra for the view but I'm willing to pay more if it gets me a better location and quieter room. Thank you!

PS We don't check in until after 10 pm due to a late night flight so I am willing to pay more to upgrade to a better "view" if it means we'll get the room we want instead of leftover standard rooms!

Castillo Mom

DIS Veteran
    Very little progress on the Pool Bar.
    The job site has been cleaned up and some tarps cover the dirt, but no additional steel.

Photo from March 3:
    View attachment 387452

I did not use the pool, but would expect there is still service.
    I didn’t even realize that Whitewater Snacks and the pool bar were being refurbished. Another website mentioned that the project will be completed in late spring. I’m really looking forward to the new pool bar, concept art looks great and we have a stay coming up in July!

Nonsuch

DIS Veteran
    I didn’t even realize that Whitewater Snacks and the pool bar were being refurbished. Another website mentioned that the project will be completed in late spring. I’m really looking forward to the new pool bar, concept art looks great and we have a stay coming up in July!
    Whitewater Snacks refurbishment is done and has reopened with a new menu. The new pool bar construction is proceeding slowly, but i expect it to be done “In Summer” — as Olaf would say :goodvibes

• Nonsuch

DIS Veteran
    Hi all, I read a few of the more recent pages but can someone tell me what room requests I should put in if I want 3 separate beds (my 2 kids don't share a bed very well)? I assumed 1 King Bed and 1 Day Bed and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair (per the DLR hotel website), but is it better to ask for 2 Queen Beds and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair?
    Short Answer: Request a room with a Day Bed :idea:

Long Answer: Not being able to book specific bed configurations is an issue with all 3 DLR hotels :headache:
    There are 4 bed configurations:
    (most common to least common)
    1. 2 Queen Beds and Sofa (love seat size, does not fold out)
    2. 2 Queen Beds and Day Bed
    3. King Bed and Twin-Size Sleeper Chair and Sofa (love seat size, does not fold out)
    4. King Bed and Twin-Size Sleeper Chair and Day Bed
    GCH has not published exact numbers, but based on various posts and informations from CMs:
    • there are 1000 rooms
    • 700 rooms have 2 Queen beds (1 and 2)
    • 300 rooms have Day Beds (2 and 4)
    I read that folks seem to like rooms by the Napa Rose elevator, but I also wanted to ask if the rooms by the Napa Rose elevator are quiet. DH is a light sleeper, but I also don't want to walk really long hallways at the end of a very long day. We have just a standard view room as I didn't want to pay extra for the view but I'm willing to pay more if it gets me a better location and quieter room.
    The rooms near the Elevators adjacent to Napa Rose are quiet. While sound proofing is quite good, light sleepers should avoid DTD View and Park View facing Pixar Pier -- these rooms also have the longest walk.
    View types do not insure a better location.
    PS We don't check in until after 10 pm due to a late night flight so I am willing to pay more to upgrade to a better "view" if it means we'll get the room we want instead of leftover standard rooms!
    Unfortunately, late check in will put you at a disadvantage for room assignment. While rather inconvenient, you might consider a room switch starting with your second night. Club Level rooms generally get rooms on the 5th or 6th floor and likely preferred assignment. The dedicated Club Level registration (outside the lounge on the 6th floor) closes at 10 PM.

smiles33

DIS Veteran
    Thank you so much, Nonsuch! I really appreciate your insight and helpful feedback. Yes, I realize coming in so late means we're left with whatever rooms are available that time of night. We'll see what we get and whether we feel like changing rooms the next day. We usually take a mid-day break to nap or relax at the pool anyway.

Thanks again!

wareagle57

DIS Veteran
    Is there still a "secret entrance" into the Downtown Disney area? I'm guessing not since you now how to go through security. What about to get back in?

gottalovepluto

DIS Veteran
    Is there still a "secret entrance" into the Downtown Disney area? I'm guessing not since you now how to go through security. What about to get back in?
    If you’re talking about the gate by World of Disney yes. When I was there it was only open sometimes and it has a security setup as well.

wareagle57

DIS Veteran
    If you’re talking about the gate by World of Disney yes. When I was there it was only open sometimes and it has a security setup as well.
    How do I find that? What am I thinking of sounded like it needed to be accessed by a certain staircase somewhere.

ParkHopper1

DIS Veteran
    Negative. Reports are that that fire exit door leading directly into DTD is now alarmed. There is a secondary security checkpoint gate that enters DTD right behind Starbucks/WOD but that is only ever opened for peak overflow situations or special groups and is not generally accessible by the public that you can count on.

Brittney Cornwell

Earning My Ears
    I am going Memorial Day weekend with our baby for her first trip. We reserved a standard room. However, I am debating calling and switching to a better view. That being said--- what are the chances of getting a better view then of the parking lot without paying? Is it worth it to call and request for a room with a view? What would I say? Also, is it possible to wait till trip to and ask to see how much an upgrade would be? If I put in a request for a king bed does this lower odds of room with a view? Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your knowledge. This will be our first trip to Disneyland where we stay on property and we are so excited!

ParkHopper1

DIS Veteran
    I am going Memorial Day weekend with our baby for her first trip. We reserved a standard room. However, I am debating calling and switching to a better view. That being said--- what are the chances of getting a better view then of the parking lot without paying?
    While there are no guarantees without booking what you actually want, room upgrades to a a better view are common as they sell WAY more "Standard" rooms than they have actual standard rooms.

Diszona

DIS Veteran

I read that folks seem to like rooms by the Napa Rose elevator, but I also wanted to ask if the rooms by the Napa Rose elevator are quiet. DH is a light sleeper, but I also don't want to walk really long hallways at the end of a very long day. We have just a standard view room as I didn't want to pay extra for the view but I'm willing to pay more if it gets me a better location and quieter room. Thank you!

We had a two queen plus a daybed room this week and it worked very well. Plenty of space, particularly with all the under the bed storage they have now.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates