Grand Californian Super Thread Updated 11/7/13

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by DmaxHawk, Feb 14, 2010.

1. cdatkins

cdatkins Mouseketeer

so excited to be staying at the GCH when we go to Disneyland in July!

Curious for the regulars:

what was the one thing you didn't expect at the GCH, but really ended up enjoying?

azdisneylover likes this.
  2. gottalovepluto

gottalovepluto DIS Veteran

The Lobby Piano Player, surprised me the first time I love the atmosphere it creates in the early evening.

DebbieB, julesann and cdatkins like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Malcon10t

Malcon10t DIS Veteran

I love Jaime (female piano player)... She is so great, and friendly. She remembers songs you like, and if she sees you in the lobby, she will start playing it!

5. ParkHoppers

ParkHoppers DIS Veteran

First time to DL/GCH last week with wife. Split stay in hotel and DVC. What a wonderful resort. I was super impressed with the newly refurbished hotel rooms and the DVC 1 bedroom. Access to DCA and Downtown Disney was great. Staff was the most numerous and helpful of any Disney property I,ve been on.

azdisneylover, emmagator and Nonsuch like this.
  6. Disney_Alli

Disney_Alli DIS Veteran

I love all the piano players! On my birthday trip one spotted my birthday button as I walked through the lobby and started playing happy birthday. I was exhausted and we were killing time until our room was finally ready but that put a big smile on my face.

7. sammykster

sammykster Mouseketeer

Question about the fitness center - has anyone noticed if there is a Peloton there? It wasn't on the website but I saw it reported elsewhere that they may have added one so looking to see if anyone has seen it in there. Want to avoid my streak ending if I can while we're there in March :)

8. DisneyPiPhi

DisneyPiPhi DIS Veteran

Funny you should ask - there are two Peloton bikes! I can confirm this. DH was excited about this because he had been wanting to try a Peloton, so he took the opportunity one afternoon on our "break day" when staying at VGC. He really enjoyed it - but being a regular Peloton user, you probably could have guessed that he would! :)

sammykster, Runnsally and Nonsuch like this.
  9. sammykster

sammykster Mouseketeer

Thank you thank you! I'm obsessed so I'm not surprised he liked it. My DH was joking about how he would be further in his streak than me because I'm going with his mom and he's staying home this trip but now I'll be able to keep it going while there. Maybe I shouldn't tell him this information and surprise him ha

10. azdisneylover

azdisneylover DIS Veteran

Bumping thread.

11. jillyh

jillyh Mouseketeer

Anyone have an update on the pool bar construction? Really hoping it will be done by our May trip.

sammykster likes this.
  12. disneyworldsk

disneyworldsk Mouseketeer

Following this forum for my nov. stay. Do you suggest other facebook pages unofficial that offer more info. on the hotel? I haven't been in about a decade to gch. looking to get as much info. as possible.

13. gottalovepluto

gottalovepluto DIS Veteran

-Google “Grand Californian reviews”
    -Search GCH or Grand Californian reviews here on the DIS
    -Make sure it’s Dec 2017 or later. That’s when the refurb completed & that turned the rooms into like a different hotel.

14. Nonsuch

Nonsuch DIS Veteran

I closely follow GCH, and this thread contains more information that any other single source :thumbsup2
    You could just skim through this entire thread, and you will be well informed :idea:

15. disneyworldsk

disneyworldsk Mouseketeer

Yes overwhelming by 284 pages to catch up on!!

16. SeaDis

SeaDis Mouseketeer

On 2/19, there was not much progress from Nonsuch's last photo (on 2/06). Mostly just the steel frames visible and a couple people working off an on each day. We didn't notice any heavy noise.

Maybe waiting for a bunch of material to be fabricated/delivered. I would bet one day it will start to move very quickly and be done in no time.

azdisneylover and gottalovepluto like this.
  17. jillyh

jillyh Mouseketeer

Thanks SeaDis! I'm hoping you're right! We'll be there with 5 year old twin grandkids and plan on taking swim / nap breaks daily. Their parents would LOVE that new pool bar:)

azdisneylover likes this.
  18. franandaj

franandaj I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!

I'm checking in today. I'll try and post a picture!

19. bethwc101

bethwc101 DIS Veteran

I would love an update on the porte cochere as well.

20. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

They were completely done with that construction when I stayed there in December from what I could tell.

StarlitNight05 likes this.
  21. azdisneylover

azdisneylover DIS Veteran

Looking forward to pics! Have a great time.