Grad Night - to go or avoid

goNsoon2WDW

DIS Veteran
My family (DH, DS16, DS19) has been to WDW many times, but this is our first trip to California. We're only going to be in town for a short visit and will have just one day to go to the parks -- either May 24th (Grad Night) or May 25th.

We're planning on getting a park hopper and want to try to get as much done as possible.
  • What are the impacts of Grad Nights?
  • What are the advantages or disadvantages to going on a Grad Night?
  • Would you recommend going to or avoiding a grad night?
TIA

If there's a choice, avoid Grad night days. I don't think there's any advantages.
We found lots of groups of teens, often walking as a group across the roads/footpaths without moving to let people through. There was lots of calling out, yelling on rides etc. We missed out on a ride photo on Space because one of the teens had made a rude sign. Just not a great experience.

Grad nights mean groups of teens acting like idiots. Some of them are well behaved, but a lot of them are not. It means linked arms blocking sidewalks, loud singing, groups screaming loudly at inappropriate times on rides, line cutting, and 'hijinks'. It also means bigger crowds.

I'd avoid it like the plague if you can. If you can't get there as early as you possibly can to do the things you really want to do, then grit your teeth when they start showing up in droves.

I have attended several grad night "days" at the parks over the last decade. Not once did I encounter any behavior that would preclude me or my family from going to the parks. You have two older kids, so they understand what their age group does in certain situations en masse. Most grads are just there to have fun, most are just like the rest of the guests, sometime they get rowdy, but so do some of the other guests.

You can still have a great time at the parks during grad nights, get there early and do the rides you want and then soak in atmosphere, have a great time. Pick the day that fits your schedule best-check the entertainment schedule.

I can't offer true advice since I haven't been yet but two of my three park days in early June - including my birthday! - are grad nights so I am doing a lot of research on the boards here. I am going in expecting the things listed above but we're pretty go with the flow so if I can, I will try to go opposite any large crowds on rides though obviously that may be very difficult. Unfortunately we don't really have the ability to avoid the parks having grad nights so I am packing my patience and going with the flow.

I have read that going to the parks early is also a good play as you can try to get the Big Ones done before the grads really hit the parks, and then later it won't be as much of an issue if the crowds swell. I think if I were you though and had that choice, I personally would pick the day without. I have been to MK on New Year's Eve and I think after that sea of bodies, nothing will stress me! Main St was like the final scenes of Titanic haha!

If 1 day is a Grad Night but the other day is not, go on the day that is not a Grad Night. Otherwise, if both are Grad Nights, just pick 1 of the days and go. I've been to DL a couple of times now during Grad Nights and it's not nearly as bad as the stories I've heard of the Brazilian tour groups at WDW.

Since you are only going on one day and you have a choice, I would go with the non grad night day. I wouldn't not go to the parks just because it's a grad night, but given the ability to choose I would choose a non grad night day. We are going the week after grad parties end this year because I'd rather not deal with them.

Our experience with grad nights was also negative. The groups linking arms and calling out to each other on the rides and jumping into quick service lines in front of you because they happened to be walking by and see a friend. It was actually intolerable to us with a kid in a wheelchair and we gave up about 7 on the grad night we were there. If you can pick a night without one, do that.

Last time I was at Grad Night (I went as a chaperone as my wife was a teacher at the time) I counted someone yelling "boner" 17 times on the Haunted Mansion, which sums up Grad Night perfectly for those that are wondering.
:rotfl2:

We were just at DL on the first grad night this past Friday. The morning was actually the least crowded of any morning that whole week. We did rope drop and got in more rides and character meets than any other day before. Fantasyland was fairly empty but Tommorowland was packed from the beginning and got insane by noon. Everything in Frontierland and Adventureland was a walk on for most of the morning. The majority of the crowd was families and some younger band and choir school groups.

We left around 2 for a break and came back at 4. By then the school busses were lining up Harbour Blvd and the crowds were definitely larger. Big groups of high schoolers. Some bad language but not excessive. More along the lines of obnoxious versus foul. Lots of large groups mostly focusing on the headliner rides. Some line cutting, especially at quick service and food carts.

They didn't really have an impact on parade and firework viewing because they didn't know to get a spot soon enough. There were crowds of teens just milling around saying so where are we allowed to stand? There was also a huge and very noticeable uptick in litter. Especially around the fastpass kiosks. They apparently don't know how the system works because there were literally hundreds of "this is not a valid fastpass" slips laying on the ground at BTMR.

If I had my choice I would not have been in the parks for the late afternoon/evening hours that day but it was our only chance to see fireworks.

If I had my choice I would not have been in the parks for the late afternoon/evening hours that day but it was our only chance to see fireworks.

We will be there on 6/10, leaving on 6/13, just my daughter (15) and me (our third year in a row of making this trip!). Our plan was to go to the park 6/11 and 12, avoiding Grad Night on the 10th. But we get in soooo early on the 10th and a three day ticket means early entry on Sunday, so I'm considering going on the 10th as well. I heard that the grad night activities happen after DCA closes to the public at 9:00, did you see a reduction in the crowd around that time? Or do the grads stay at DL until close before heading over?

We will be there on 6/10, leaving on 6/13, just my daughter (15) and me (our third year in a row of making this trip!). Our plan was to go to the park 6/11 and 12, avoiding Grad Night on the 10th. But we get in soooo early on the 10th and a three day ticket means early entry on Sunday, so I'm considering going on the 10th as well. I heard that the grad night activities happen after DCA closes to the public at 9:00, did you see a reduction in the crowd around that time? Or do the grads stay at DL until close before heading over?
At about 8, there was an announcement that there was no viewing areas available for the first MSEP. All the headliner rides also had quite long standby waits (over an hour). At that point, many grads started streaming out of the park heading for DCA. We had already seen MSEP twice that week so we spent the next hour shopping around Main Street waiting for the fireworks so we had a good view of the crowds leaving the park and they were almost all grads. After the fireworks at about 945 we left the park and there were CMs pointing crowds of grads to the grad night entry point for DCA.

Even if you don't spend the whole day and evening at the park, I would recommend going based on our experience. We had the smoothest morning and afternoon we had all week. It made me think that the regular local crowd probably avoids grad nights too, which made the early hours pretty slow.

At about 8, there was an announcement that there was no viewing areas available for the first MSEP. All the headliner rides also had quite long standby waits (over an hour). At that point, many grads started streaming out of the park heading for DCA. We had already seen MSEP twice that week so we spent the next hour shopping around Main Street waiting for the fireworks so we had a good view of the crowds leaving the park and they were almost all grads. After the fireworks at about 945 we left the park and there were CMs pointing crowds of grads to the grad night entry point for DCA.

Even if you don't spend the whole day and evening at the park, I would recommend going based on our experience. We had the smoothest morning and afternoon we had all week. It made me think that the regular local crowd probably avoids grad nights too, which made the early hours pretty slow.

Thanks! That helps! Although our flight gets in early that day, we won't be able to make it to the park until around noon/1:00. If we have the proper expectation and keep in mind that we have another two days to get things done, I think we'll be okay. I'll keep an eye on how fast passes look for grad nights in the afternoons between now and our trip and maybe consider a dining package for parade viewing that night (two birds with one stone... quieter dining and a reserved viewing spot). It'll be a tough start to our trip with staying until close and being up for EMH the next morning... but we're coming from Chicago so our internal clocks will have us up early no matter what. Plus the back end of our trip is all relaxation. Thanks again!

Thanks! That helps! Although our flight gets in early that day, we won't be able to make it to the park until around noon/1:00. If we have the proper expectation and keep in mind that we have another two days to get things done, I think we'll be okay. I'll keep an eye on how fast passes look for grad nights in the afternoons between now and our trip and maybe consider a dining package for parade viewing that night (two birds with one stone... quieter dining and a reserved viewing spot). It'll be a tough start to our trip with staying until close and being up for EMH the next morning... but we're coming from Chicago so our internal clocks will have us up early no matter what. Plus the back end of our trip is all relaxation. Thanks again!

If you're doing hoppers, perhaps start at DCA. I think most of the kids will be over at Disneyland during the day since they get DCA to themselves after 10PM.

Advantages: Misbehaved psuedo-adolescents thinking they are hot stuff exhibiting horrible behavior, foul language, and annoying habits and traits.

Oh.. wait...

I just read (on another board) from a cast member, that they had to throw out two teens from grad night because the girl was giving the guy h**d on Autotopia. Nice, right????
Ugh.... I seriously can't stand grad nights and I wish they'd just get rid of it!

I just read (on another board) from a cast member, that they had to throw out two teens from grad night because the girl was giving the guy h**d on Autotopia. Nice, right????
Ugh.... I seriously can't stand grad nights and I wish they'd just get rid of it!
That just sounds dangerous. Do you know how jarring those cars are?

Wife and I are flying in a week from today (!!!), on a grad night Wednesday, and expect to be in the park around noon/1:00 as well. I'll try to remember to report back about our experience.

If you're doing hoppers, perhaps start at DCA. I think most of the kids will be over at Disneyland during the day since they get DCA to themselves after 10PM.

Good idea!

Wife and I are flying in a week from today (!!!), on a grad night Wednesday, and expect to be in the park around noon/1:00 as well. I'll try to remember to report back about our experience.

How exciting that it's almost time for your trip! I would love to hear about your experiences... thank so much!

I still have to figure out if my daughter is even interested in going that day. Being a 15 year old girl in the park with her mom when it's full of free roaming teenagers, may completely mortify her. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter