Got the ok for Disney May 2018 from the hubby, please help

MommyinHonduras

DIS Veteran
Sorry ahead of time for this long post, if you are reading this thanks for reading. We made our first trip to the World Sept 2016. 10 days with 5 park days, stayed at WBC and really enjoyed everything about our trip. We were not sure when we would make it back(We live in Honduras so it is quite a trek). My mom's health is declining (COPD) and we have been planning a big family vacation for 2018 and she just got her vacation dates May 21-25 so that included the weekends May 19,20 and May 26,27 and 28 (Memorial Day). She is in Kansas. She loves the outdoors and fishing. We were first thinking Silver Dollar/Branson. But she has never been to Disney and we loved out last trip and we we loved out trip over when we explored and ate at Trails End. So DH wants to do WBC because he loved it. I want to give my mom outdoors and fishing. We have four kids so the cabins are out, tent camping is a little too rustic, too much like our real life and as we would have to buy everything so it would not save anything. I am thinking, rent an RV and have a small tent for the kids to sleep outside, weather permitting. I want to be able to save on food costs as well as save our tummies for the culture shock of food coming to the US so the kitchen is a must. So in May our kids will be DD 13, DD11, DS9 and DD 7 plus DH and I and my mom. What size RV and type (total newbie but have looked at a ton of photos so on overload) would you all think for our family dynamic? I am not sure how many days we will be at Disney yet, still crunching numbers. I am also considering split stay with WBC to please DH if we can not get the dates to work out on Memorial day weekend at the Fort. I have read all the great reasons why you all love the fort, so selling me is easy, just need best sleeping for our nights :)

Renting an RV is a pretty good option to get you "into" the Fort. There are several rental companies that regularly have business at the Fort. A quick search on here should turn up a lot of the good, bad and ugly. I think most of the rental companies show or have descriptions of the various RVs they rent. Finding one for 5 and two 1/2 adults may be the challenge, but if everyone is flexible and can get along in a smaller space, it can work.

5th wheel RVs typically have the most room, although there are some TT models that can accommodate just as many adults.

Good luck planning this. It sounds like a great trip. I live about 5 hours from Silver Dollar City/Branson and have friends that live in the area. While Branson is fun, WDW and the Fort are SO much better.

j

You will have a great time at the fort renting an RV. There are several companies that will deliver and setup the RV, we used https://www.greenbergrvflorida.com/trailer-rental/, check out their web site it shows all the trailers they have available along with costs and what is included. For food check out https://www.gardengrocer.com its online grocery shopping at its best, if you won't have a car this is how to get groceries. The website is like walking through a grocery store, see something you like add it to your cart. Once you have everything schedule a delivery and your done, I placed our order about a week before we arrived so I could pick the time I wanted delivery the morning after we arrived.

Just keep in mind that as you are looking at "Rentals" one that says it sleeps 8 does not sleep 8 ADULTS. Often times they allow for 2 sleepers on the collapsible Dinette. and 2 for the folding (Futon style) couch. Anyone who has ever slept on these will tell you that ONE small (not tall) adult can sleep on the sofa and one also (again, small adult) on the dinette. You might get 2 smaller children on them but even that can be a challenge. So keep this in mind.

For us, we do not like to even consider the Dinette as sleeping space. The couch is an option though.

With your "Crew" you probably want something with a Bunk house. The bunk houses usually can accommodate 4 or more depending on the configuration (and size of the kids).

I have seen some nice 5th wheels that had the "Master" up front (Queen or King) and had a mid bunk house that had a Double and queen "Bunk" (Double up top, queen on bottom) and a Loft over top of the "Mid Bunk house" that could also handle 2 (or 3 if smaller) kids.

I have seen some nice 5th wheels that had the "Master" up front (Queen or King) and had a mid bunk house that had a Double and queen "Bunk" (Double up top, queen on bottom) and a Loft over top of the "Mid Bunk house" that could also handle 2 (or 3 if smaller) kids.
My new 5er is a mid-bunk. We have a king bed in the front bedroom. The mid-BR has a queen pull out sofa that is actually comfortable and a single bunk above. The living room has a king pull out sofa. Again, same comfortable as the mid-bunk pull out and the dinette drops down to make a bed. We haven't had to use the dinette as a bed yet, but the one in my old bunk house was actually more comfortable than the bunks. And like Paul said, as long as you aren't too tall, it works well.

It's a great lay out for us and taking family/friends. They are a fairly new design. I didn't start to see the mid-bunks until 2-3 years ago, so a rental may not have one. What is more common are the double bunk rooms at the rear of the trailer. These can sleep 4 pretty easily in the bunk room(s) and then the usual sofa and dinette in the main living area and a queen/king in the front bedroom.

Either way, check out the web sites to see what each company has to offer and get the reservation in.

j

My new 5er is a mid-bunk. We have a king bed in the front bedroom. The mid-BR has a queen pull out sofa that is actually comfortable and a single bunk above. The living room has a king pull out sofa. Again, same comfortable as the mid-bunk pull out and the dinette drops down to make a bed.

I've never seen a floorplan like this. What make/model is it?

I've never seen a floorplan like this. What make/model is it?
Mine is a Coachmen Chaparral 390QSMB, but nearly every mid line 5th wheel manufacturer has a mid-bunk model now. Here's the floorplan.

ImageHandler.ashx

j

Mine is a Coachmen Chaparral 390QSMB, but nearly every mid line 5th wheel manufacturer has a mid-bunk model now.

j

Thanks. Wow, that looks so awesome. I haven't been RV shopping in many years. (what's this sudden itch I feel?)

Thanks. Wow, that looks so awesome. what's this sudden itch I feel?)

I agree that is a great floor set up
I'll show the new trailer off a little more and maybe help scratch that itch. :-) We love this trailer.

This is a wide angle, but you can see the living area and the door on the far right is to the mid-bunk room.

2016%20Chaparral%20Inside-%20Jan%2016_zpslu66szww.jpg~original

Sitting on the couch.

2016%20Chaparral%20Inside2-%20Jan%2016_zpswwxd71nz.jpg~original

j

That sure is a beautiful rig! We have a measly 30-footer, lol. Funny how it looks gigantic in our driveway but in a place like FW, it is dwarfed by other big beautiful RVs. Haha. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Rent an rv and a golf cart. All will be delivered and setup for you. Also try a grocery delivery for that home cooked meal while travelling.

Well fitting 7 of us in a RV has been vetoed. Looking into other options that fit us all is a price range I am comfortable with is hard work. Good thing I have a year.

Well fitting 7 of us in a RV has been vetoed. Looking into other options that fit us all is a price range I am comfortable with is hard work. Good thing I have a year.
Consider adding a Tent outside? Just a thought.

With 7 people, at most of the resorts it will leave you needing at least 2 rooms. OR suites that are much more expensive. I don't even know if the Suites can accommodate 7 people.

Check out Florida Camper rental..they home some campers that sleep 14..2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms...we are going to use them because they offer more space...

To be clear though... Those that might "Sleep 14" (although I could only find the one that claims to sleep 12 on their site) are considering that things like fold down dinettes or fold down couches can sleep 2 people. While this may be true, you have to remember, the 2 people that you would try to sleep in such accommodations will either need to be SMALL (i.e. children) or they will be very cramped. When we consider such things (even when we bought ours) we tried to not include such "Numbers" in our plan. Our current TT is 37' and has 2 bedrooms (Queen beds in each) plus fold down couch and Dinette. So it's classed for 8 but we would never consider it for more than 6. Reality is we wanted actual beds (there are 4 of us by my DD20's Fiance' has gone with us a couple of times, so we get to 5).

Sleep accommodations also do not consider STORAGE accommodations. Sometimes Storage (closets, cabinets, etc...) get sacrificed for sleep space. So keep that in mind too. You may be able to sleep your crew but where is their "Stuff" going to be stored.

Lastly, the more you move to "Capacity" in a camper, the more I hope you intend to be outdoors more than indoors. Consider if you get bad weather and everybody is in the camper during the bad weather... Is there enough "Breathing Room?"

Not trying to discourage anyone, just make sure you understand it. Salesmen (even for rentals) are happy to tell you "Oh yeah.... It can handle that!" (whatever "That" is) :)

Which is more cost effective. 2 rentals and sites or 2 rooms in a Value?

2 values would be but that will not work for out family either, smooshing into 4 doubles without a place to sit and relax and no kitchen for snacks and a real meal or two is not a vacation. I would smoosh for the Fort with all the outdoor space to roam and relax, you definitely do not get that at any value. But hubby doesn't want to smoosh together at night either. So the hunt for the perfect set up is on.

If trailer + tent isn't an option, I'd consider two trailers, one with sitting room and one more suitable for sleeping. Of course, that would necessitate renting two sites.

With 7, I don't think you're going to find something 'perfect' onsite unless you can afford a suite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter