Goodbye, Yellow Ponchos

Sarangel

<font color=red><font color=navy>Rumor has it ...<
Officials at Walt Disney World are replacing all yellow ponchos used by visitors at the theme parks on rainy days with clear rain gear.

The clear raincoats should help family members identify their loved ones in the crowds during a storm. Currently, all rain ponchos are yellow and when a storm pops up at the park, the crowd turns into a sea of yellow ponchos.

The move comes after several requests from theme park visitors who are often forced to purchase the rain protection when storms hit Centeral Florida.

Sarangel

Original Story

Alternatives:

1. Umbrellas
2. Bring own raincoat.
3. Just get wet.

It is true, those seas of yellow made the parks look like giant bananas. I bet the chimps in AK went crazy.

It reminds me of the recent practice of tying coloured ribbons to ID luggage at the airport. Now that everyone's doing it, it has lost its logic.

I have four, two child sizes and two for grownups. So, I'm covered for a while.

You know, you can buy emergency ponchos for a buck or less at most camping stores, or at dollar stores. They're folded up to almost nothing, so they can fit in a big pocket or a fanny pack. We a dozen or so before a trip, and often take them even if no rain is forcast. That way if we don't want to get wet on a water ride, we throw them on, and rather than refolding them, we give them away to whoever is just getting in line.

We loved the yellow ponchos...they were hilarious...also I think it was Sea World that had the blue ones. We went over to Busch Gardens one vacation a while back that was sporadically rainy...it looked like sort of cult groups or gangs who showed their affiliation by the color of their ponchos.

They were already selling the clear ponchos last Saturday during the afternoon rain storm.

There were still plenty of people in the yellow ponchos, though.

Originally posted by Douglas Dubh
We a dozen or so before a trip, and often take them even if no rain is forcast. That way if we don't want to get wet on a water ride, we throw them on, and rather than refolding them, we give them away to whoever is just getting in line.

What a great idea! I was wondering how I was going to manage cramming the used ponchos back into the pack! I'll just go buy more & give them away! Thanks for the tip!

At Disneyland they sell Blue ones that are really cool. We had to buy a few back in January.. But we just let them dry re fold thema nd take them back.. I will miss the yellow ones though. My kids carry them in their backpacks as they never know when we will get bad weather here..
Watch.. one day they will be worth something on E-bay...

Yes - the clear ones have mickey on the back -- just bought two this weekend at epcot. The kids one we bought was still yellow BTW.

adamb

Actually, it sounds to me like a great idea; I wonder if they are going to change the pin? I also wonder if My Pal Mickey will get one too...

:bounce:

Thanks Adam,

Whew - I'm glad there is still a Mickey on them - I was afraid I'd have to clamber into Car 3 :-)

I'm glad to hear about ::MickeyMo on the back too. I think I still have a few more rainy days left in my yellow one though.

I bought a couple of teh $1 ponchos at Kmart earlier this year for my May trip. We got thru the whole trip without using them until we got to the airport. It was pouring. I dropped grandma off, returned the rental car (still pouring) and saw that the walkway to the main bldg of the airport to the garage was not covered! There was no way to make a run for it, so i whipped out one of the ponchos! When I got to the other side I left it next to the trash can for someone else to use. The are relly just glorified trash bags, though. :D

well I think the clear ponchos are a great idea, for obvious safety reasons. BUT the yellow ponchos are traditional to me. its one of those subconcience traditions i think, something you always expect to be there so I am glad I still have a bunch at home!

::MickeyMo

for my last trip I found at Wal-Mart a rain coat that bundles up into one of the pockets once in the pocket has a nice little string only cost me 10.00 each. use it all the time.pirate:

We still have a few of the yellow, and the beige AK ponchos.....but we have it in our plans to get real rain gear one of these days (good raincoats and pants...and boots!) so we can truly be out in all weather. We were at WDW for several extremely rainy days last Dec....and the ponchos just didn't cut it. My dd's shoes got me wet every time I picked her up...and we ended up soaked through even wearing ponchos!

Good rain gear will be an investment of about $300 up front for my family of 4 (oops, better include our baby to be in that plan....hmmmm) ....but if we'll only have to buy new ones for the kids a few times (they'll be passed down over the years) I think it will be a worthwhile investment. Of course, I've been planning to do this for about 10 months now....

I love the yellow ponchos...but I guess clear really is a good idea.

At least they still offer something for a souvener.

Yellow or clear, they still work and it's great to know Mickey is still on 'em.

Take care.

:jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter