Good sewing machine?

TheGirlin14G

For Best Results: Add Music
I'm looking for a good, relatively inexpensive sewing machine.. I'm interested in making clothing.. not anything too out there - the main things I want to make are shirts and dresses that I'll embellish mostly by hand.. I'm taking an independent study course next year on "wearable art" which is basically design and execution ^___^ In that course alone I know I'm making a concert dress, a costume(replicating one from a Broadway show ^__^), and a white dress for my graduation to wear under my robe ^__^

I don't know where to start.. so I'm reallly looking for anything/everything - mostly a good starting point - a brand or features that it should have, etc...

My mom said somewhere around $100.. but if it's over that I don't think my parents will mind because this is my "promotion" gift for getting good grades this year and all that jazz... and it's a good investment towards something I really enjoy and they loves splurging on their little dumplings ^___^

Thanks for any advice you can give! :)

I tried to answer yesterday, but the DIS wasn't letting me post.

I would buy the best machine you can afford. Button holes, blind hems, and a few speciality stitches are minimum. You will also want to make sure that it can sew denim and leather. Some costume fabric can get really thick in the seams, so can upholstery fabric. You figure this is going to be an investment, and you will use this machine for years, not just for school...

That said, my girlfriend has a Kenmore, and she LOVES it! Not top of the line, but not entry level either. I have a Viking, and I love mine! I had a Singer, hated it, and traded it in for my Viking. My mom had the same Singer, and now my son uses it.

A sewing machine store usually has some good deals on trade-ins. You might want to try there. Good luck!

A decent quality machine will definitely be more than $100. There are two ways you can go with this

1) You can haunt yard sales/craigslist/want ads for a good used machine for about that price. You can also check sewing machine stores for a good used model or

2) Get a machine within your budget at Walmart and work your way up. A basic machine will run right around $100 and probably will do everything you need it to. Then you can get a better quality machine later if you find you have a real knack for sewing and really enjoy it.

The Viking stores in Joann's fabrics accept trade-ins, and also have layaway. I have been a costume designer for over 15 years for theatres, and have sewn on MANY different kinds of machines. Although I really love my New Home (now called Janome), nothing can compare to a Viking (which I also have)...every professional theatre I have ever worked in would have Vikings...and, nothing else.

I would see what I could get a used Viking (also called Husqvarna). They also own and produce White...a more inexpensive line, but also very good.

:wave:

Beca

Thanks for your help everyone! :goodvibes

I'm actually holding off for a little while on a new sewing machine, because my Grandmom might be giving me her antique(60 years old) Singer.. she taught me how to use it - it's a strong metal machine and can sew through anything.. it only has a regular stitch, but I'll have access to some school sewing machines for the fancy stuff.. but next year when I go to college I'll probably look into buying a used one for my dorm :)

Thank you very much!! :wave:

What about a sewing machine just for paper crafts? I looked at some small ones online but everyone reviewed them and said they were just horrible. I only want one to sew strips of paper for cards.

Any thoughts?

B :wizard:

Busy B said:
What about a sewing machine just for paper crafts? I looked at some small ones online but everyone reviewed them and said they were just horrible. I only want one to sew strips of paper for cards.

Any thoughts?

B :wizard:

Well, as much as I LOVE my Vikings, I have to admit...my second favorite sewing machine is any of them made by Brother. They are inexpensive, but seem to sew really well. They are sold at Walmart. I would simply buy the cheapest Brother I could find (maybe even check ebay).

I think they are one of the best deals on the market.

Beca

Walmart has a brand new Brother I saw yesterday for $78.88. It really is perfectly servicable for a beginner. You can even put it on layaway.

:)
Beca said:
Well, as much as I LOVE my Vikings, I have to admit...my second favorite sewing machine is any of them made by Brother. They are inexpensive, but seem to sew really well. They are sold at Walmart. I would simply buy the cheapest Brother I could find (maybe even check ebay).

I think they are one of the best deals on the market.

Beca

Hi Beca,

Thanks for the input!

Shugardrawers said:
Walmart has a brand new Brother I saw yesterday for $78.88. It really is perfectly servicable for a beginner. You can even put it on layaway.

Ok, I may have to go check that out. BTW, your puppy is too cute.

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter