Good Conscience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean if you're eligible to vote right? States aren't just made up of 100% eligible voters.

What about issues with people in power that you had no control over because at the time you weren't eligible to vote?

What about term limits or empty promises or political plans that sounded good on paper and yet failed miserably?

I don't find your statement to be black and white.
Lame excuse to not do anything. Pretty sure the Suffragettes. Rosa Parks, MLK, and all our past heros that stood up for what is right at whatever cost to them had no control over the laws they were trying to change.

Everyone has power to change if they get involved.

I live in one of those states. As much as I would like to just up and move, I can’t. Our jobs, family, and friends are here. The best I can do is call my representatives, make my voice heard, and vote. I wouldn’t boycott another state because I know there are people there just like me who would be hurt.
I have several times. Once to another country. Had job family and friends as well. If you really want to and it means that much to you, you can. Many in the Hollywood crowd has announced they would leave the country. I don’t think any has.

I don't know that moving out of the state is always the solution. We have had so many people move out of our state (Taxachus... sorry, Massachusetts), that the political landscape of the neighboring state that many moved to has now changed (and for some of them, not in their favor). This is the case for a family member of mine so I hear complaints firsthand. I don't think it's always about politics, necessarily; it's often about money, but the two do go together hand in hand...

From what I've seen in my years of living, there seems to be a "pendulum effect" that sort of keep things in balance. In other words, when things go "too far left", then along comes something that goes "too far right". Often, resolution means meeting somewhere in the middle. What we're seeing today really doesn't seem too different from what we've always seen historically.

Lame excuse to not do anything. Pretty sure the Suffragettes. Rosa Parks, MLK, and all our past heros that stood up for what is right at whatever cost to them had no control over the laws they were trying to change.

Everyone has power to change if they get involved.
Lame excuse? You mean being under the age of 18? You cannot vote. That doesn't mean you can't get involved but it does mean you don't get a vote. You said "If you live there, you have a vote." That's an inaccurate statement. You have to be eligible for vote to vote--living somewhere doesn't make that inherent. What about the very young children. I mean they live there right?

It's strange that you bring up the other stuff because that had zero to do with what I said. I'm not talking about political activism.

No. I practice what I preach.

I don't want my children to have to refight the battles our grandmothers won.

Georgia and Alabama will never see any vacation dollars from me. And if Florida's bill passes, I will have no hesitation putting Florida on our no travel list. It is a huge world out there with prettier beaches amd more interesting sights.

It may limit my children's sports as we won't do any that travel to WWOS. Hopefully Florida will learn from Georgia's governor that losing a huge industry is not worth a bill that only 36% of the country supports.

I find it hypocritical to claim you have values and then ignore your values for self-gratification. Would it be hard to give up Florida? You bet. But then, I just have to look at all that came before us and the sacrifices they made for civil rights, the right to vote, etc. And our military families that sacrifice each and every day to make sure our freedoms and rightz are protected. Giving up a theme park is hardly clise to putting your life on the line.
Well put.Most of the states that have passed such restrictive laws were never going to get my vacation dollars anyways.I'd have to think long and hard about Florida.

I don't know that moving out of the state is always the solution. We have had so many people move out of our state (Taxachus... sorry, Massachusetts), that the political landscape of the neighboring state that many moved to has now changed (and for some of them, not in their favor). This is the case for a family member of mine so I hear complaints firsthand. I don't think it's always about politics, necessarily; it's often about money, but the two do go together hand in hand...

From what I've seen in my years of living, there seems to be a "pendulum effect" that sort of keep things in balance. In other words, when things go "too far left", then along comes something that goes "too far right". Often, resolution means meeting somewhere in the middle. What we're seeing today really doesn't seem too different from what we've always seen historically.

I think that's what's happening now.

A couple of states went too far one way, & these other states are, perhaps, reacting to those states' recent legislations by going too far the other way.

But, in answer to the OP's question, no, I don't think I would ever boycott an entire state.

And, while I may not be in agreement w/ some laws of a state or area, I don't want to ever limit myself to only staying in places & w/ people which line up exactly w/ my beliefs & views. I think to do that I'd really be doing myself a disservice & missing out on a lot of opportunities & experiences.

And, as someone who lives in the South, there's so much more to our states than politics.

Last edited:
It's not quite so easy a decision for me. Suppose I don't like law X and it's absolutely an abomination to me. Do I punish everyone in the state that passed law X for the actions of a gerrymandered legislature by going nowhere in that state?
And what about states that didn't pass X? Certainly there are areas within said states that would pass X in a heartbeat if they weren't out voted? Do they get a free pass? If I went anywhere, I'd probably unwittingly end up buying gas at a service station where the owners were all for X.
Fortunately or unfortunately for me depending upon how one looks at it, most places that I would boycott, I don't go to anyway. It is fortunate that I don't have to change my plans but unfortunate that my boycott cost those businesses absolutely nothing because I didn't go to them anyway.

Nope. Don’t boycott businesses and won’t boycott states. Love NYC and still plan to visit and spend money there.

I do not have the time or the interest to find out every law of every state. And I am sure that most states I visit are going to have one or two that I find appalling. But I don’t vacation somewhere because I agree with their politics. I vacation there because I want to see the place.

Living in a state where you don't agree with the laws is far different than choosing to support a state.

If you live there, you have a vote. You can work from within to make changes.
Well, to me boycotts always seem to hurt individuals hardest, not the state. The family whose hotel I did stay in. The people whose restaurant I did not eat at. The folks who own the store I did not buy nick nacks from. Elected officials are insulated from all that. Sure, in rare cases it may cost them an election, but in many cases, they still get their pension, or get appointed to cushy government commissions. Hurting the hard working people to me is counter productive.
And remember, what is happening now is exactly what is supposed to be happening under the 10th Amendment.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

No, and I would never move to one of those states either.

I have been considering an African safari, and looking at how some of the countries treat LGBT folks is eye-opening. South Africa may be a possibility, still researching.

I boycott stores all the time - no problem doing that at all. Whole states - we try to get through them on our road trips with minimal money being spent in those states. We do buy gas, maybe one meal if we have run out of stuff in the cooler, but that's about it. Money speaks.

Honestly, it is not something I pay that much attention to. The states politics don't change the things I want to see / do in that state.

Well, to me boycotts always seem to hurt individuals hardest, not the state. The family whose hotel I did stay in. The people whose restaurant I did not eat at. The folks who own the store I did not buy nick nacks from. Elected officials are insulated from all that. Sure, in rare cases it may cost them an election, but in many cases, they still get their pension, or get appointed to cushy government commissions. Hurting the hard working people to me is counter productive.
And remember, what is happening now is exactly what is supposed to be happening under the 10th Amendment.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."
I think part of the point of the boycott, is that it is meant to hurt the people of a state or country or business. Is that always the best choice? Maybe, maybe not, as Cannot_Wait_4Disney posted sometimes states are very gerrymandered. Also you could possibly rationalize only taking your business to certain counties.

Also, I completely disagree that this is what is supposed to be happening. The 14th Amendment protects autonomy of human being and a right to privacy, states can not take that right away. But I won't touch on this further as it actually goes off topic and against the rules of the forum.

I think part of the point of the boycott, is that it is meant to hurt the people of a state or country or business. Is that always the best choice? Maybe, maybe not, as Cannot_Wait_4Disney posted sometimes states are very gerrymandered. Also you could possibly rationalize only taking your business to certain counties.

Also, I completely disagree that this is what is supposed to be happening. The 14th Amendment protects autonomy of human being and a right to privacy, states can not take that right away. But I won't touch on this further as it actually goes off topic and against the rules of the forum.
And it can be argued that many of the issues currently in the news in no way take away any rights of an individual. They just have to go to another states. Recreational use of marijuana is illegal in 40 states. You are free to go to one of the 10 states where it is legal.

I could absolutely spend my money in a state that was in opposition to my political views.

I’m a small business owner. Why should I be held accountable for laws that are passed by a group of politicians that may not represent my personal political views? The small business owner isn’t the one that should be held accountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter