Going with someone with autism

kemmerlinj2

Mouseketeer
Hello! My family have decided to take my 5 year old cousin, who has autism and problems with being audible at times, with us to Disney World and a Disney Cruise. He loves everything Disney and Star Wars. His favorite is anything Cars specifically and since there's 4 of us the family suites at AoA sound perfect. My only concern is him dealing with the lines and the unique experiences at WDW. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for this?

what kinds of things dose things dose your current need help with ( say he has autism is like saying I am going with a 5 year old, some need a stroller, some will not be caught dead in one, some need to be to bed at 8 some can stay up late, you get the picture

as fair as noise goes how well will (s)he do with over the ears noise canceling head protects to help block or noises,

of ear buds and lisinong to music

Read threads above for DAS at Disney World. The DAS is a life saver. My son is sensitive to light: hat and sunglasses and lots of breaks and snacks. We use to go in am, go to rental house, eat, swim and head back. DAS and fast pass combination will make a crazy day at Disney go very smoothly. We always try to eat lunch early before the lunch rush and lines get long.

For Cruising: We just booked through Autism on the Seas, they are making sure we get early embarkation, private muster drill, early dinning with only our family at table, early disembarkation, visual story (PECS), social story about the cruise for no extra charge. Also, any dietary needs. I think you can transfer your reservation to them to take advantage of these things. Also, cruise has room service: for breakfast, snacks, lunch, dinner at no extra charge. Very helpful when he needs down time.

The best thing to do is ask the little boy's parents what things are likely to be an issue for him, and what things they've tried that help him cope. Every person with autism is totally different, and what might work for one might be the worst thing to try for another. Talk through the entire day with his parents - from waking up, getting ready, transportation to the parks, walking through crowds, rides, shows, meals, does he need naps, etc. Take note of any activities that might be difficult for him, and get suggestions from his parents about what might be helpful. You can also watch videos of all the rides and shows on YouTube before the trip. Have the child watch with you and get ideas about which rides and attractions he might like.

I have a 5 year old with autism, non-verbal, super sensory sensitive. But he does PHENOMENALLY well at Disney. We've never taken a cruise, so this is my 2 cents on touring the parks.
His parent or grown up will know best, so if they're not already on here, point them in the right direction.

As others have said, using the DAS and FP strategically is important. Get the card 1st thing when you go into the 1st park. Our first visit with him we didn't get the card until the 3rd day because I felt...I don't know...like I was taking advantage, like he shouldn't need it, maybe even embarrassed. We were worried about getting wheelchair tag, too, but thankfully the CM explained that it exists for just this reason. And what a life changer that was. He needs the personal space of the stroller when we're in the queues that are more enclosed or crowded. If your nephew doesn't usually use a stroller but you think he might benefit from it on this trip, BOB and similar large jogging strollers can be very comfortable for an average 5 year old and can be found second hand or borrowed. My son is very tall for his age and we just moved on to a chair made for bigger kids with special needs.

Does he elope? We use a safety harness made for big kids. They are hard to find for older kids but there's a lady in Canada who makes them. Awesome product. I can find the website if anyone is interested.

My son is a very picky eater so we always bring his food and have never had a problem doing so in a Disney restaurant.

Print out the park maps ahead of time so you're familiar with the escape routes. I cannot tell you how many times he needed to get out NOW and there was ANOTHER parade blocking us in.

Don't ever be afraid to as a CM for help.

Also, ignore the stares. Ignore the whispers from your own group.
He's loud? Who cares, the whole park is loud.
He's having a hard time? Guess what, someone else's typical 7 year old is having a tantrum right now because even the most typically developing kid can be on sensory overload in Disney!
It's going to be ok.
If other people in your group are embarrassed or affected by his behavior, they can walk away, and that's ok. No judgement in either direction.

Know who's turn it is to take him for a break, off the ride, back to swim, or whatever, so the situation can deescalate as fast as possible.

It seems daunting, but Disney is absolutely set up for families with special needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter