going to WDW -- compare MK to Disneyland?

sdubose99

Earning My Ears
Hi -- we have been to Disneyland many times so are very familiar with it. Now we're going to WDW in two weeks and trying to plan all the days. We have a 10 and a 13 year old and wonder if we should skip the Magic Kingdom in WDW or not.

We've looked at the rides list and just can't get excited about MK. WDW does not have some of the things we enjoyed about DL -- Indiana Jones and Rocket Rods, for example.

Are we missing something? What would you recommend?

thanks
Scott

Compared to DL, the Magic Kingdom is kind of disappointing, but I would still go just to check out the differences. Plus, your kids will probably love Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. It's kind of like DL's Roger Rabbit, but we thought it was more fun. They also have a cute Winnie the Pooh ride that's not at DL. Don't waste your time on Pirates or Small World, which are MUCH better at DL.

If you do go, eat at Liberty Tree Tavern. It's one of the best character meals in all of WDW. If you time it right, you can finish your meal just as the Main St. Electrical Parade winds around the front of the restaurant.

You didn't say how long you will be at WDW. There's ALOT to do. The three other parks may need more than a day each and then there are the three water parks. If you are less than a wk., skipping MK may be an option.

Thanks -- we are there only one week so we are seriously considering skipping MK in favor of the other Disney parks, Universal Islands of Adventure, Kennedy Space Center, blah, blah. So much to do -- we are just trying to make it as fun and memorable as possible!

Scott

well ive been to wdw 5 times(2 trips coming up) and DL one(with 1 trip coming up)
and I love MK!!! its a good park..seriously...is DL better? yeah but MK is where the magic REALLY is in WDW. also make sure you know you cant do everything in one trip..shoot..im been 5 times sitll havent been to tom sawyers island!! LOL

but u could skip MK if you have too.

I would not want to miss the castle! You will probably not need a full day to see Animal Kingdom. If you have a park hopper, you could go to Animal Kingdom in the morning and then to MK for the fireworks at night. Although AK is a beautiful park, definitely one of my favorite, it really doesn't have a full day's worth of attractions.

Definitely don't miss Islands of Adventure - it is AMAZING!

Buzz Lightyear was great, even for us big kids. ;)

I think the Carousel of Progress is only at MK, and that was cool. (It usually closes early, like around 5:00)

The Tiki Room is an updated show that has Iago and Zasu.

The Hall of Presidents is worth checking out.

The castle is much larger at MK.

Winnie the Pooh is ok, and there is a Lion King puppet type show that I don't think is at DL.

You could probably do this stuff in a half day.

That said, I have only been to WDW one time (last Sept), and we didn't do any of the non-Disney stuff. We did purchase DVC and will be going back every other year and plan to do the Universal stuff and other Florida things on future trips.

DL is MUCH, MUCH better than MK!!!! But, it really wouldn't be a Disney trip w/o a visit to at least see the castle and the fireworks. I would do as the previous poster said, spend 1/2 day at the AK and the evening/afternoon at MK. AK really only takes 1/2 day unless you are really into animals, and then most of what they have at AK can be seen at a zoo closer to home. Don't miss Kilimanjaro Safari's or Its Tough to be a Bug at AK. If you love Indy at DL, you will like Dinosaur at AK. It is not as good as Indy, but is a similar type ride!!! Have Fun!!!

I am echoing some of the posts above - I am to a DL kid (adult now) and I am just a little disappointed when I first walk into MK. But having said that - I do enjoy Buzzlight year ride, space mtn is slightly different because you sit like at the Matterhorn, Pooh is cute, and now there is the Aladin ride ( haven't done). I did enjoy the e-night and would always do at least 1/2 day at MK every trip. I love the other parks very much and can spend days at Epcot, a couple days at AK and at least a day at Disney Studios.

Have a great trip!

Would have to agree with most that is said here, but even if it is a quick trip through, I don't think you would feel like you have seen WDW if you have not seen the castle. Also just the adjacent area of Disney Hotels, the Poly,Contemporary and Grand Floridian. Just manage to take a spin around on the monorail if you are short on time just to see all of this. Have a wonderful trip!

Wow, thanks to all you great people. I believe we'll do the half day, mainly because of the Castle Factor! I agree there is magic there that we should tap into...

We're leaving one week from today!

Scott

Scott, I like Disneyland 20 times more than I like MK, but I would still go to MK, if for nothing else than to go to the Crystal Palace for dinner, to see the bigger parades (which are more Show than the ones at Disneyland) and to experience the fireworks and Kiss Goodnight. My family does not make a day of MK anymore at all, we usually go for a late afternoon and evening/night. That is the best time for us. Been to both places many times, both are worth it.

I am a Disneyland lover and have only went to WDW once, but I would not skip the MK. It was fun to compare the differences between rides like Space Mountain (IMHO better in Disneyland when the soundtrack accompanies the ride) and Splash Mountain (better in MK). The MK has the Winnie the Pooh ride which I thought I would detest because I am not a Pooh fan, but I absolutely loved it. I also enjoyed the topiaries and other quaint differences. I really would not skip it.

I am a DL lover too, but a magical time at MK is at night with the colored lights on the castle.

Also if you grew up at DL you MUST take your family on the Peoplemover ( ok the TTA ) and Carousel of progress.

Buzz and Winnie the Pooh are the best "only WDW " rides, and both are fastpass attractions and /or EE attractions.
If I were you I would spend a few hours at MK on an EE day, and return for a few hours at night, hanging out at casey Corner's until the Kiss Goodnight.

One of the DELIGHTS of MK is E-Night!! You get to stay After Hours to enjoy the BIG rides in the dark and almost all alone!! It's worth the cost!!

Oh, and DON'T MISS Alien Encounter!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :jester: :bounce:

After having gone to DL many, many times, my family thought we would only need a few hours at the MK - we were wrong! Don't skip it! Buzz and Pooh are neat, especially Buzz - makes me wish it was at DL. It was fun to compare the rides - even though DL will always be our favorite, MK was still enjoyable. One thing that threw us off was the layout of most of the lands, especially where Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder are, and it was weird to not have a New Orleans Square! Plus, the castle being so much bigger, actually the whole park just being so much bigger! :)

MK is my favorite park at WDW!:bounce:
Love Buzz!
Plus go on the Keys to the Kingdom tour! You will not be disappointed! WDW behind the scenes is much more secretive and interesting than DL! At DL you can't help be see behind the scenes. Not so at WDW!
The trip through the utilidors and behind Splash Mountain is pretty cool! Not to mention special tours through some rides.:bounce:

OH! And I can't forget to mention that at WDW, EVERY NIGHT are fireworks at MK, Fantasmic at MGM and Illuminations at Epcot! That really spoiled us. We were VERY disappointed that DL only had fireworks/Fantasmic on weekends!:p

I forgot to add that of the "Shared" attractions, I think the Jungle Cruise is better at WDW MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter