Going to Sanibel Island and need advice

kidzluvwdw

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

We are heading to WDW for 6 nights then heading to Sanibel Island for 3 nights - probably July 26th to July 29th. We need advice on where to stay, what to do, where to eat...Best beaches for shelling....We are DH, DW, DS, DD, and DMIL (80 and needs wheelchair for most activities).
Thanks for the help!

There is a very nice visitor center just as you come on the island. We always stop there for coupons. They'd be happy to answer any questions regarding handicapped access.

If I remember correctly, there is one beach with a boardwalk to make it more handicapped accessible. They may even have a beach wheelchair to loan.

All of the beaches have lots of shells. The beach at the end of Captiva is one of our favorites. All beaches charge for parking, but some have free spots if you have a handicapped placard or tag. The one at the Captiva beach is NOT one of those.

The Island Cow is our favorite restaurant. Good food, generous portions and reasonable prices.

Note that it will be HOT at that time of year. We went once at the end of June and said never again in the heat of the summer.

If you like thrift stores, there is one sponsored by a church on the right mid-island. We always find nifty things there.

Sheila

Look at the larger resorts for wheelchair access. Sundial, Tween Waters and South Seas on Captiva. It's a long way to go for 2 days. Why not check out Sarasota?

South Seas has just recently reopened since Charley hit. Everything is like brand new there!! That would be your best bet..

I'm a Captiva resident and Captiva has some of the best shelling around as less tourists come up here than Sanibel. The best public beach on Captiva is Blind Pass, park south of the bridge as parking is more readibly available than the north end. There isn't much public access on Captiva as many of the beaches are private. Another beach on Captiva is at the most northern end just past South Seas but parking is limited. Another nice beach that you must attend is by the Sanibel lighthouse. Nice walking area with a fishing pier and nature walk but not as many shells.

For restaurants I would pick Island Cow for dinner, especially when there is a live singer and Doc Ford's down on rabbit road. There are many restaurants to pick from and all are unique in their style.

For places to stay it varies on price. Captiva, Tween Waters and South Seas, remember South Seas did just re-open but is still very limited in their offerings and very expensive. On Sanibel I would check Sanibel Inn or any of the motels they own. Check SanibelInn.com and there will be links for all there motels.

Your best bet will be to check Traveladvisor.com and read reviews but take them with a grain of salt. SouthWest, FLA can be hot, there are bugs, sand get into your shorts :banana: , and the bay water can smell sometimes and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

If you are traveling up to Captiva, just as you pass the Bubble Room your will see a housing complex on the left called Sunset Captiva, wave and say hi :hippie:

We've visited there a couple of times.

My mom really likes the Mucky Duck restaurant. It may actually be up on Captiva. I know it seemed like we drove a while to get to it. Typical beach front seafood restaurant, but the food was good.

Also, just off the island there was a nice family restaurant called the Sunshine Cafe. It's across from the outlets. They have really good early bird prices (as I recall they include a glass of wine with the meal).

And our favorite activity was the Segway tour we took. Check out Billy's Bikes website. I actually wrote a mini-trip report for it. I can look up the link if you're interested.

I can't give you any info on hotels. We took day trips.

Have a great time.

Yes the Mucky Duck is Captiva. Awesome place to have a drink and watch the sunset!

We stayed in Captiva and LOVED it. The Bubble Room is great (have a slice of the Orange cake!). The Key Lime Bistro is also very yummy (but can be a little $).

We stayed at the Tween Waters Inn. It was nice, but I think we are going to Jensen's on the Gulf the next time we go.

We drove through Sanibel, went to the pier and lighthouse, but REALLY loved Captiva.

I've been to Sanibel/Captiva 3 times now. I've stayed at Tween Waters on Captiva and Song of the Sea on Sanibel. Both were very nice. For a good family restaurant, I would recommend McT's on Sanibel. The food at Dolce Vita (also on Sanibel) is very good, a little pricey. Atmosphere there is great! On Caotiva, Mucky Duck was good, avoid RC Otter's at all costs-YUK! Don't miss the NASCRAB races at the Crow's Nest at Tween Waters if you're there on a Monday night. The food there is good, too.

Sanibel Captiva Conservation Center is nice, as is the Ding Darling Preserve. You can drive through Ding Darling and pull over when you see something of interest, which would be nice for your DMIL. Have fun-that's one of my favorite places!

I appreciate all the feedback! I knew I would get some excellent answers by posting here.
Thanks!!

subscribing--we are also interested in going to Sanibel Island. I booked something for end of June at Sundial Resort. I am now having second thoughts because I've sinced visited the Tripadvisor spot and they gave it bad reviews. :confused3 So, now I'm really confused about what to do. Any suggestions? Also, they mentioned the red algae in the water??? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Is the Bubble Room still open? If it is don't miss it and save room for dessert!

OMG my husband is always talking about the Bubble Room (I have never been) must be good! His parents live down there so I will have t check it out next time we are there (hopefully it is open)

We stayed at South Seas Plantation in August one time, and it was so hot that we were always trying to find a cool place to enjoy outdoors - we hated to stay in the air conditioned villa the whole time! The ocean was so warm that it was like bathwater and if you tried to swim in the swimming pool you got so overheated that we would periodically get out and stand under the shower beside the pool just to feel a little cool (well, at least lukewarm) water :laughing:

This was years ago - I remember the Mucky Duck (Ploughmans Lunch) and eating the best fried clams of my life at Timmy's Nook (which I heard is no longer there :sad1: ).

You might look into Captiva Cruises (captivacruises.com) - we took a trip over to Useppa Island and that was really interesting. They also show now they offer shelling trips to secluded beaches, a sunset cruise, a dolphin watch cruise, etc.

They always say there are so many shells that everyone gets the "Sanibel Stoop" in your back from bending over to pick them all up :rotfl:

There is a very nice visitor center just as you come on the island. We always stop there for coupons. They'd be happy to answer any questions regarding handicapped access.

I agree, the visitors center is the first place to stop. On our last trip we started chatting with one of the women who works there and it turns out that she leaves Sanibel every summer and returns to NY where she literally lives around the corner from me. Small world!

We had breakfast at the Lighthouse Cafe on Sanibel and it was very good. We were able to bring home some great shells, but we should've arrived at the beach earlier in the day for a better selection.

I thought all beaches in Florida were public.

Sheila

No, they are not. Some are private to the resorts and some are private to the home owner.. actually a better way of saying it is.. the sand and water are private, but you cannot access them if they are backing up to someones home or resort.. did that make sense to you???

Hi All!
We like the Country Inn and Suites at Sanibel Gateway Fort Myers, Both of All worlds : Suites, Free Breakfast, Main land shopping and Eateries, Quick access to Sanibel, and good room rates.
If you are flying into RSW stop at the first Perkins you see and pickup the local maps and coupon booklets on the tourist info stand in the front door enterance waiting area, not bad food either.

pirate: Beastys doesn't like Captain and Rum Desert! ARRRRRR!

In addition to checking out some of the hotels/resorts mentioned, you might also check into renting a condo for a week. There are many "northerners" who own condos and houses on both Sanibel and Captiva and then rent them out when they aren't being used. Most are managed by the real estate agencies on Sanibel or you can find them on the Internet. Can be a very economical alternative and a more home-like setting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter