Going to Maui - Where to Stay?

Dopey13

Disney Nut for Life
My wife and I are planning a trip to Maui next February - 05 and would like some help on where to stay. If you have stayed at one of the following please give us your opinion. We are planning on going for 2 wks.

Kaanapali Keys at Papaka
Beach Resort, Lahaina
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, Kaanapali
Maui Schooner Resort, Kihei
One Napili Way, Napili
Sands of Kahona Vacation Club, Lahaina

ALOHA:sunny:

What time of year did you go? How long did you have to wait before you made your reservation?

Add the Embassy and Westin to your list as they are both worth it and above the other choices on your list except for the Marriott. I've been on property at all the choices mentioned except the Westin, it was just a concrete building when we were there in 2002. For February, you should take what you can get and that goes double if you want a 2 BR. Some caveat's include that the Embassy and Marriott only have mini kitchens, more than a DVC studio but less than a regular unit. SOK doesn't have AC. ONW is somewhat away from the action (and more adult oriented) and the Papekea, SOK and Embassy are to a lessor extent away from Kaanapali. The schooner is in South Maui which is good for exploring but quite a distance from the Lahaina area with the restaurants, night life, shopping, etc. For a first trip I wouldn't recommend it due to location but IMO, it's also enough below DVC standards to make it a very questionable exchange. Still, feb is a tough time and especially if you want a larger unit or are set on going then, getting something may be the best option for you.

My recommendations would be the following. If you've never been to HI, go to Oahu for at least 3-4 days, if you have seen Oahu, do a week on Maui and a week on Kauai (or Hawaii). If you have never been to Maui, stay in or near Lahaina, at least for part of the time. Don't forget there are other options to get an exchange besides through DVC. Direct exchanges and independent exchange companies may add many choices including other great resort options and additional inventory access.

IMO, you are very late looking for HI for Feb, 05. Anything less than 12 months is late, IMO. Maui will the the most difficult so you should search for it first and not even look at anything else unless you're prepared to do Maui cash. Definitely talk to the smaller exchange companies like San Francisco Exchange and trading places. TP has an in with ONW and I think with the Schooner. SFX has an in with the Embassy (Maui and Kauai). I think TP also gets a lot of Maui Lei which is near the Schooner but much better, IMO. Go ahead and make cancellable reservation choices now and look for air as this many be far more costly than lodging. If you're thinking of FF miles, you may be too late but at least call today. Good luck.

I stayed twice at Kaanapali Keys at Papaka with my family (parents and brother) in 1984 and 1988. Don't know what it's like today, but I think my folks went for a trip around 1995 or so and they said they had a great time. The place is very nice, right on the beach, in fact we could hear the surf from our room, which made sleeping at night quite peaceful. My parents were excited to see that we could use our DVC points to stay at the Kaanapali Keys. They want to plan a big family trip soon.

"I've been on property at all the choices mentioned except the Westin, it was just a concrete building when we were there in 2002."

did they build a new one? I was there for part of my honeymoon in 95.

Originally posted by wdwdvcdad
"I've been on property at all the choices mentioned except the Westin, it was just a concrete building when we were there in 2002."

did they build a new one? I was there for part of my honeymoon in 95.
The Westin Hotel was the old Maui Surf, it's the timeshares that are new.

Dean,
have you ever thought about putting together a faq, or just a list of your take on different places on each island?

Originally posted by MelissathePooh
Dean,
have you ever thought about putting together a faq, or just a list of your take on different places on each island?
Not really. Actually it changes all the time and depends on specifics. I guess it would save me some writing though. Maybe when I get around to it.

we stayed at the four seasons in maui feb..04 for two weeks ..it is without a doubt the finest hotel and service on planet earth..the beach is outstanding..sea turtles 50 yards from shore..get the cheaper mountian view room..same as beach view:D ;)

I can't get my hands on the DVC member guidebook right now but I'm assuming these are all through the Exchange?

Is it the Sands of Kahona or Kahana? There is the Sands of Kahana just a little north of Lahaina that we stayed in a 2 bedroom Sept. 03.
GREAT place, on the beach, and LARGE rooms. We stayed there on our own and loved it. Another place we stay (again on our own, no timeshare) is The Mahana (which is in between Lahaina and The Sands). All units face the water and are 50 feet from it! (No hotel buildings in the future will be allowed to build that close)

I believe the Sands are in the Exchange but definately not the Mahana.

We took our girls to Maui for 1 week, Kauai for 5 days and Oahu for 2 days to see where I was born, where their dad & I met and married, Pearl Harbor. ( & Waikiki Beach- only to say they've been there) Boy did we wish we had done Oahu first and ended with Kauai - all those fabulous days in Paradise only to have to go to Concrete Island and have our nerves jarred back to reality. (That's supposed to happen when your plane lands back home!)

I'd still try your Exchange but try the above two if you can go on your own. We are going for 2 weeks on Kauai through our Marriott timeshare 1/30/05-2/13/05

Tammy in CA

We are planning on going for 2wks. Hopefully we will be able to use the timesare for both weeks. If not, we will be looking for a 2 bedroom condo to stay at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter