(Gluten Free Food) Celiac Disease in Aulani

amysibbo

Earning My Ears
My family and I will be travelling back to Aulani for the second time at the end of August.
The only difference in our trips is that myself and my sister have both recently been diagnosed with Celiac Disease so neither of us can eat anything with Gluten in it. My sister is also Lactose Intolerant, and vegan, so food is going to be challenging.
On the first day there we'll have a rental car and we'll stop in Target for snacks and such, but are there many gluten free options at the actual resort that we'll be able to eat?
Thanks for any help! :earsgirl:

Hi there, I am gluten intolerant, my husband is vegan and has fructose and lactose malabsorption, we are tricky to feed! We were at Aulani this time last year... The first day I barely ate, until the evening because I couldn't see GF written anywhere, so I asked and the response was that they do basically everything in a GF version... So I ate really well for the whole trip... At their buffet, the chef took me around and told me what dishes were GF and what his staff would be able to make extra, it was amazing... Good luck!

We traveled with someone with Celiac Disease in our party and our biggest takeaways are: limited options at Ulu cafe, probably not the best choice for GF food (salads do come with crutons and dressing in a separate container). But any of the table service restaurants were very accommodating - chef would come out and walk through the options. Monkeypod across the street was also great, but be sure to tell your server at the beginning that you need GF and have them tell you the safe options. And as you already mentioned, defintely worth a run to the grocery store or Target or Costco to get items you know you like and can eat.

I too have Celiac Disease. At both Ama Ama and Makahiki the chef came out to discuss what was okay to eat and what could be modified to be made gluten free. I was walked through the buffet and was givin the option to order items to be prepared specifically for me (deserts too).

I've been to Aulani both pre and post being diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I can honestly say that Hawaii in general and Aulani specifically have been where I realized most how much I missed eating gluten :). There are many places to get GF food - but some of the best things are made with wheat flour.

This wasn't my question, but I appreciate all the replies. I am not celiac, but I have severe allergic reactions to wheat that have just become problematic in the past two years so I have to look for gluten-free options when I eat out. I haven't been to Aulani since this development and it is good to know that I will be able to eat well and and have food that is safe for me.

How does Monkeypod handle food allergies? Will the chef come out to talk to you like at Aulani?

Here now!! They go out of their way. Just ask for manager and they make it to your request for no cross xo tamination

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!