GLuten Free Dining

kandeebunny

DIS Veteran
My mother and I are headed to WDW in a month and staying at SoG and were looking for Gluten Free Dining options. I have talked to Disney, we hate planning ahead, but with the diet it looks like we will have to. Has anyone else had to do GF dining? If so any suggestions of places to go or to avoid?

Thanks!
Kristi

I'm sorry that I can't help you more...

I know that in the last couple of days, I read someone's trip report where they discussed their mother needing gluten-free menu options. I know that they had great luck at Artist's Point and Boma's, but had a bad experience at the Biergarten.

I know that they did need to contact the restaurants to let them know their special needs -- they normally request 24-hours advance notice.

Have you tried typing in "gluten" into the search feature on the DIS boards? I bet you would find a ton, since this has become more common...

Have a wonderful trip!

I don't have specific WDW info, but my friend's DH has Celiac's and requires a Gluten free diet. When they went to Disneyland she called the number for priority seating ressies and was given the number to the head DL chef. He said every DL restaurant has at least one meal to accomodate a gluten free diet, given adequate notice. He also gave her recommendations on which restaurants were better for this and took her dates of travel and submitted them to the restaurants himself (which provided the more then 24 hour notice to them to accomodate dietary restrictions). Our trips overlapped and we shared some meals with them and I can say Disney went above and beyond with the diet accommodations. Obviously DL has far fewer restaurant choices but perhaps WDW has someone who can help direct you like the chef at DL did for my friend.

My husband has celiac disease and is on a gluten free diet.

We went to WDW about two months ago and had a very POSITIVE experience.

GF diets accomodates only to the sit down restaurants. The chefs ALWAYS came out to our table and ask my husband what he would like to eat. Every single chef was very knowledgeable about the gluten free products.

My husband enjoyed gluten free pancakes, biscuits, gravies, etc. We ate at Crystal Palace, Chef Mickeys, Prime Time, Ohana's, Park Faire.

You must notifiy for 407-WDW-dine number and make your ressie and notify the receptionist.

We had a great time.

I have Celiac and have been to WDW twice and I'm going again next month. You must make PS's and mention the 'gluten allergy' to Disney Dining. They note the allergy on the PS and will give you a phone number to call for each restaurant 7 days prior. Don't forget to call it because it helps the chef prepare for you ... at LTT, the chef made special stuffing and gravy for me. Even if you don't call the number, the chefs do their best to make you special foods (gluten free pancakes for most breakfasts!). In almost all places, the chefs personally come out and talk with you! At the buffets, they will walk you through the buffet line, telling you what you can eat and what you can't eat. Then they always offer to make you anything you like just for you!

I ate at:

+ Chef Mickey's (great, friendly chef!... he made me sooo much special food that I couldn't eat it all!).
+ LTT (stuffing and gravy...yum!)
+ CRT for breakfast (pancakes!)
+ PSB for breakfast (pancakes!)
- 1900 Park Faire (chef took a long time to come out and talk with me)
- WCC ..chef told server it was ok to put toast on my pork chops and I had to send them back :-(
+ Yachtsman (yum!)
+ Atrist Point
+ CP
+ H & V
+ 50's Prime Time
+ Rainforest Cafe at DD

Good luck!
-Karen

My DH has celiac disease, and WDW is the best eating experience he has ever had traveling. It does require planning in advance, as they do want advance notice to accommodate you, but it is so worth it. DH felt so catered to, especially at the buffets, as the chef comes out and walks you thru the buffet, advising what you cannot have - some items are things he would never have guessed were off limits. it was great to meet the chefs - they would usually chat with us for awhile, too. DHs experience is usually to get a "blank" stare from a server in the real world when he tries to explain why he is asking about certain menu items - he thoroughly enjoyed having people who understood his limitations and the importance of them at WDW. He raved about it to his sister (who also has celiac) when we came home! :goodvibes

Every restaurant I have called and talked to on my PS list except for WCC has told me they no longer take requests in advance as they have many special diet ps's and numerous do not show up!

I am very bummed about this, and very apprehensive now.

WCC was awesome said I could eat some of the regular menu items as well as they would make me GF rolls and a GF dessert

Talked to the lady in the MK today who sent me a list of courter service food that was GF and advised me to speak to the manager when ordering to make sure my food was safe, then told me when I arrived at LTT that they would come and chat with me and have something for me to eat! I hope I can have stuffing!

Then called Epcot, this is where I was flat out told they no longer plan this in advance due to the amount of no-shows, which makes me VERY nervous for our meal at teppenyaki, though I suppose I can always just grab a bite at the Liberty Inn which has GF pizza and GF ice cream. Should I try Epcot again and pray I get someone else?

Spoke to MGM for H&V was told the chef has already been notified and upon arrival just to ask to see him and he will explain what I can and can't eat.

I hope this goes well, it's my first trip since diagnosis and I do not want to end up in the hospital on my trip! Any suggestions from you all for another meal at the MK? And I need an idea for DTD!

The Beach Club was the most accommodating for us - we stayed there and ate both dinner and breakfast there several times. Cape May Cafe has a delicious dinner and breakfast buffet -the breakfast is a character breakfast. Crystal Palace was also helpful - the chef was very nice. I think maybe it is easier for the places that are buffet style to accommodate special requests for some reason - we also had an easy time at HV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter