Gluten-free diet help

MBW

Mouseketeer
My 3yo DS has HF-ASD, and is on a gluten-free (and mostly casein-free) diet (GF/CF). I've heard (and been told by CRO) that we can arrange to have his meals specially prepared at the buffet/sit-down restaurants, if we contact them ahead of time. Has anyone tried this? Are the restaurants really helpful, or will our son just get hot dogs (w/o the bun of course) every meal? Even despite the dietary restrictions, like many toddlers, his diet isn't terribly well-rounded, but he has been known to try new things. Any tips or suggestions?

TIA,

MB

Here I am, answering my own question (although I'd definitely like more imput from those with experience.) I called CRO this morning, and they gave me the number for the Executive Chef's office ((407) 824-5967. The woman I spoke with in that office was exceptionally helpful and accomodating. We went through both the PSes we had already made, as well as some we were considering (recommended that we avoid most of the WS at Epcot, except for Canada, as the restaurants were not particularly sensitive to allergy issues (important as we also have a daughter with a moderate-serious peanut allergy.)) She said that many of the restaurants are well versed in gluten-free cooking, and that some places have specialties (Tony's makes a gluten-free pizza) and even counter service restaurants could accomodate us, as long as we gave them a couple days advance notice. She said that she'd even have the head chefs from our sit-down restaurants contact us directly to discuss his likes and needs. We'll probably be stopping at a Chamberlain's grocery before arriving (we're staying at the OKW, which makes many meals easier), but its nice to know that as long as we plan ahead a bit, the kids can have a rather *normal* dining experience on their vacation (whatever *normal* is with a 3yr old autistic child :) - haven't figured that one out yet :D).

MB

Sorry I didn't get to your thread sooner... I was searching for the old thread about gluten-free diets at WDW, but it got deleted when the boards changed. :(
The chefs at the sit-down restaurants throughout Disney World will do their best to accomodate special diets. We have had no trouble with getting their help, even on no notice at all, just walking in. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter