Glad my legs cant reach up and choke me :)

dburg30

Ferb, I know what we're going to do today!
My poor calf muscles are hating me. I know I'm early in training, I've probably pushed a little hard too fast. Just a few minutes into my running my calves are just feeling sooo tired and tight.. I dont stretch before, I spend about 5-7 minutes slow walk, faster walk, faster walk, then into my jogging part. I dont have pain so I'm not worried about that part and the next day may be a little sore and stiff but again, no pain. Guess this is where I have to figure out when it's my mind just wanting me to give up and my body telling me I should take a break / ease up...

If your calves are hurting you, you need to back off on your training.

I myself am in the middle of a forced two week layoff due to a grade one calf strain. :sad: My doc told me I could either rest it now and let it heal properly or possibly have it come back as a chronic problem later in my training. I trust my doc as he is a certified sports doc and has never steered me wrong in ways of training. He gave me some passive exercises / stretches to do while my leg heals and then I will start back with gentle resistance work. You might want to try this although you should check with your doc first.

Take it from another middle aged person… It’s really important that you listen to your body and do not work it beyond what it can do. It will get better, and you’ll be back at it before you know it. :thumbsup2

Hey you guys sound like my crowd!;)

ALL I am doing is stretching right now. Granted I do have plantar fasciitis however guess what is to blame? Tight calves, quads, tendons in the foot, etc...Yep.

Guess how all that came about? I injured my back doing Jillian Micheals TWO YEARS AGO!!!:sad: Back is better, legs and feet are not.

It was a slow progression downward literally and that was even with meds and PT.

I am using this stretching book by Bob Anderson. Let me tell you it is VERY easy to understand and it simply explains how to stretch and has any stretches you can think of. After only 2, 30 min stretching workouts I feel so much better!

My goal is to get to be able to walk like I used to but the treadmill/outdoor walking has to halt for me, for now. (fingers crossed for next month)

I need to swim, elliptical, bike, etc right now. I have to treat my foot as an injury. My pain is under the ball of my foot and NOT in my heel. :crazy2:

So consider getting in your exercise with stretching and other means if you think that you are pushing too far.

Take it from me, injuries suck and set you back!!! As much as I hate to say it the stretching feels good.

Oh and if I was on BL, I would be the "injured person"...pixiedust:

http://www.amazon.com/Stretching-30th-Anniversary-Bob-Anderson/dp/0936070463

Thanks to the both of you.. I need to learn to let the training schedules dictate what I do.. Not what I think I should do.. I must remember that I am doing this to get in better shape, have fun, and to accomplish something that a LARGE % of the population will never do. I also have to keep reminding myself, I'm no longer 140# and 17 years lol.. by about ohh... a lot.. :D

Thanks to the both of you.. I need to learn to let the training schedules dictate what I do.. Not what I think I should do.. I must remember that I am doing this to get in better shape, have fun, and to accomplish something that a LARGE % of the population will never do. I also have to keep reminding myself, I'm no longer 140# and 17 years lol.. by about ohh... a lot.. :D

You are welcome. I turn 48 this month.;)

I will paraphrase a passage from the book that explains about pain/tightness/stretching.

Basically, you should feel tightness for a few seconds but then it should subside quickly. Example, when you felt the tightness continue when you were walking, you need to back off, slow down, etc.

Keeping repeating that until you find a comfortable stretch or pace if you are walking. You should be "relaxed" with your muscles. In fact touch your quads to see how tight they are when you are in walking mode. They should not be tight.

Do this everytime. Eventually this is going to get easier.

WHEN? I don't know.;)

You are welcome. I turn 48 this month.;)

I will paraphrase a passage from the book that explains about pain/tightness/stretching.

Basically, you should feel tightness for a few seconds but then it should subside quickly. Example, when you felt the tightness continue when you were walking, you need to back off, slow down, etc.

Keeping repeating that until you find a comfortable stretch or pace if you are walking. You should be "relaxed" with your muscles. In fact touch your quads to see how tight they are when you are in walking mode. They should not be tight.

Do this everytime. Eventually this is going to get easier.

WHEN? I don't know.;)

I second this. ::yes::
and may I be the first one to wish you an early :bday: I'm a few years ahead of you... but let me tell you life sure is great in your 50's

You definitely need to stretch, even if you're walking. And have a day off in between. Try swimming in between too, something that is gentler but still makes you feel like you're still exercising.
When you're not in pain anymore don't worry about the jogging, build up to it. I think people underestimate the power of walking, good, fast walking that gets your heart going and makes you a little breathless.
Good luck.

Thanks, yes, I do believe I will be in the stretching crowd. This last week has been kind of trying. Having a hard time keeping from doing too much. But that is actually IMO a good mental challenge also. Not only pushing thru sometimes, also reigning it in when needed too!

Thanks, yes, I do believe I will be in the stretching crowd. This last week has been kind of trying. Having a hard time keeping from doing too much. But that is actually IMO a good mental challenge also. Not only pushing thru sometimes, also reigning it in when needed too!

Well welcome!!! I had to cut back on STRETCHING! That is how bad of shape I am in.:headache:

I had to back off of stretching until the pain in my foot went away. I bought some "arch pain inserts" from Dr. Scholl's and that is what made the difference.

Basically I think I was reinjuring myself daily with walking with no arch supports.:badpc:

I know I need to get better shoes. So that is the next step. Might get some custom orthotics made? We shall see. ETA...I am going to see a "certified pedorthist" at a shoe store. I hope that does the trick.

I am doing better and my stretching is better.

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter