Girl scout cookies expiration dates?

ArielRae

DIS Veteran (NJ)
Do girl scout cookies have expiration dates? I see some numbers and letters on the box but not sure if that is the expiration if it is what is it? I have had these since the last time they sold cookies not this recent sale.

Here it is: 02AG21X6

They typically do have expiration dates. On our boxes, it says "Use or freeze by:" with a stamp underneath. This year's expiration date is 1 Sept 2012. On our boxes, it is on the end just above the tab that you pull to open the box.

I know there are 2 Girl Scout bakeries and I am pretty sure you have the other one from us, so hopefully someone with the same bakery will also reply.

They did not previously have expiration dates but they do now. Not sure how far this goes back when they didn't before but I know in recent years, they have added it. Most of the girl scout cookies you buy this year will have September 2012 and October 2012 expiration dates. I know this because my daughter is in Girl Scouts and we sold over 115 boxes and then their troop just did a booth sale yesterday and sold over 200 more boxes! Enjoy! They are truly addicting!!:rotfl:

There are so many preservatives and fillers in them I can't imagine they would expire in the next decade.

When I worked at the Girl Scout council, left 4 years ago, the cookies were Kosher and do not have a long shelf life, but you could keep them in your feezer for a year.Things may have chagned since then, but that was the directions we were given as staff and what to tell people.

This past Nov I opened a box of the thin mints that were in my cupboard that I had bought earlier in the year and they were fine. My box did not have an expiration date on it. Then I had to wait till Feb to get another box :(

We usually have cookies frozen for a year or longer. I think if they are sealed probably even unfrozen they would be okay for a year. We just finished last years mints before the new ones came this year. We did notice the sleeves had more cookies than this year's box!!!

ABC baker started using "expiration" dates this year due to high customer complaints that they weren't sure if their cookie were good any more.

They went with a generic best by of 6 months after delivery.

They do have a longer shlef life than 6 months, our ABC rep says you can deep freeze them upto a year. I have cookies deep froze from last year and they are just fine. I bring them back out for the girls to remember what each type looks and tastes like.

I *think* under the ABC line, the only one advertised as Kosher are the Short Breads, but as we all know each box is labeled for everything under the sun.

I buy lots and freeze them for the DH. He was eating his less favorite when the new ones came so we can get the new ones in the freezer.

Just checked and the ones I just got say use or freeze by Sep '12.

I've never had to worry about an expiration date... They are usually consumed within a couple weeks :)

All joking aside, I'm familiar with an urban legend that states that if they are deep-froze, the expiration date jumps to 8000 years.

I only bought one box, so I didnt worry about them going bad. My favs are those darn thin mints. Wouldnt you know it? I just bought the ice cream. I think I am in trouble.:scared1:

We buy two cases every year and freeze ours (we usually still have a few boxes left when the next year's come out). Thin Mints and Tagalongs actually taste better frozen to me (Tagalongs especially! The peanut butter tastes like ice cream).

PP are right. The use by, or expiration date, started this year.

And FYI in our area booth sales end March 18th but we have to turn in final money by the 16th. So if you want them don't wait too long, or they'll be gone. :scared1:

I still have a few Tagalongs, Do-Si-Dos, and Shortbreads to sell, but I'm sure we will.

Awesome booth with 200 sales. :goodvibes

We still had a few Trefoil cookies left when the girls started selling this year. I tossed them, but they were probably still good. This year I stuck with Thin Mints, Tagalongs and Samoas. The Trefoils never seem to get eaten here.

I don't know whether they expire or not but if you are worried about it, you can just send them to me, I'm wiling to take the chance :thumbsup2. In reality, I just opened a box of thin mints that I bought about a year ago and they were fine (and hadn't been stored in the freezer and had no expiration date printed on them). That was last week and I (and my 3 year old) are still alive and fine.

i work for a council. they do have expiration dates, but unless you wait years and years to eat them they may just taste a little stale.

We stor the cookies in the fridge and freezer for over a year. I buy extra so we have boxes for the whole year. They are fine if stored prperly. I would think that atleast a year in the original packaging. Taste great from frozed or kept in fridge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter