Girl Bitten by Dolphin at Sea World!

Escape Artist

Planning another getaway
Yikes! Did you all see the video of the girl who got bitten by a dolphin at Sea World? :eek:

(It was on cnn.com - I don't know if it can be linked here.)

The girl is an 8-year-old who was feeding the dolphins. When she was done, she lifted up the empty paper tray, which she'd been told not to do. The dolphin went after the empty tray and got the girl's hand all the way across the inside of its mouth!

I think the girl was lucky to come out of that with only a few puncture wounds. As a mom, it had to be terrifying for her family to have that happen. As a Sea World fan, I hope they can do something to help prevent this kind of injury in the future without severely changing the dolphin feeding activity.

Just curious if anyone else has seen this video and what are your thoughts?

Sue in Texas

(It was on cnn.com - I don't know if it can be linked here.)

Sue in Texas

Here's a link to the video her mom posted on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXiakfblpFs

Clearly, Sea World knows this can happen, and the mom is right, thank heavens it didn't pull her in! I think that would have been unlikely,though - the wall is pretty high, and the dolphin didn't want the girl or her hand, it only wanted more fish.

Still - a powerful image there!

Sue in Texas
...still taking her kids to Sea World...

The girl didn't follow the rules and got bit. The parents weren't parenting her, and she got bit.

I took my then 3 and 6 year old to feed the dolphins. I made sure they listended to the instructions and then I made them repeat them back to me and I WATCHED them. No problems only a great experience.

One of the parents is quoted as saying they heard them say not to lift the tray but they didn't know why. So because you don't know why you don't make sure your kid follows the rules?

The girl didn't follow the rules and got bit. The parents weren't parenting her, and she got bit.

I took my then 3 and 6 year old to feed the dolphins. I made sure they listended to the instructions and then I made them repeat them back to me and I WATCHED them. No problems only a great experience.

One of the parents is quoted as saying they heard them say not to lift the tray but they didn't know why. So because you don't know why you don't make sure your kid follows the rules?

^^ This, exactly. It doesn't matter why they have the rules just that they have them and are supposed to be followed. We have been to Sea World many times and listen to rules. We have always had an amazing time!

I hate to say this but they told her not to do it. I think people need to start paying attention to instructions. Just remember these are animals.

I do hope this does not turn into banning everyone from doing it just because ONE person DID NOT follow instructions and THEREFORE had an accident.

We'll find out in 12 days.

Hopefully the parents will not sue.
I wonder if they realize their lack of watching her and following the rules even though they didn't know why the rule was there caused this to happen to their child?
Funny thing is we were there that following weekend and did not hear anything about it til today.

I agree with what others on this thread have said. What happened was definitely unfortunate and very frightening for that little girl and her family; but even the mom admitted today on Good Morning America that this happened because the rule to not lift the food carton off the wall was not followed. With that being said, I do feel it is a bit unfair that the parents are also saying that Sea World downplayed the incident and that they feel changes need to be made to the exhibit such as raising the age limit of who can participate in the dolphin feedings.

The parents aren't suing,the girl messed up.Several years ago anyone without buying food could just go up to the dolphins to touch them,then people started doing the wrong things around the dolphins so it became more limited.Since Sea World is making money from the people feeding the dolphins they definitely won't be banning people from feeding them but people need to follow the rules to prevent something more serious from happening that could lead to people getting banned,either from the people harming the dolphins or the dolphins harming the people.

Of course the parents are going to sue. If not then why show that their kid messed up. You can't tell me they don't want money for this. Putting it on YouTube they knew it would get to the media.

I feel bad for the dolphins. As for the little girl and her family, follow the rules and this wouldn't have happened.

Of course the parents are going to sue. If not then why show that their kid messed up. You can't tell me they don't want money for this. Putting it on YouTube they knew it would get to the media.

In the report I saw they said they weren't suing.

There goes anybody else getting to feed the dolphins. I guarantee OSHA gets involved and shuts down this experience. People are stupid.

There goes anybody else getting to feed the dolphins. I guarantee OSHA gets involved and shuts down this experience. People are stupid.

I certainly hope it doesn't go that far. The child was in the wrong, but she is a child and it's human nature to do the wrong thing sometimes. That said, I hope Sea World doesn't end up paying off this family just to avoid or settle a law suit. They shouldn't have to pay for this - nor should all of us who would end up paying for it thru higher ticket prices.

If they do have to make changes, I hope it's something along the lines of:
- stop using those paper trays. Find some other way of distributing the fish that won't encourage the dolphins to lunge after them, or
- build a little ledge underneath the top of the wall around the dolphin pool. Make it very clear that the trays have to stay under the ledge.

Hopefully the little girl will heal up just fine, life with go on at Sea World as normal, and this won't happen again.

Sue in Texas

I certainly hope it doesn't go that far. The child was in the wrong, but she is a child and it's human nature to do the wrong thing sometimes. That said, I hope Sea World doesn't end up paying off this family just to avoid or settle a law suit. They shouldn't have to pay for this - nor should all of us who would end up paying for it thru higher ticket prices.

- stop using those paper trays. Find some other way of distributing the fish that won't encourage the dolphins to lunge after them, or
- build a little ledge underneath the top of the wall around the dolphin pool. Make it very clear that the trays have to stay under the ledge.

Hopefully the little girl will heal up just fine, life with go on at Sea World as normal, and this won't happen again.

Sue in Texas

We know someone whose child slammed a door on a ride and broke a finger. Universal gave the family free passes for life with front of the line privileges. This doesn't really "cost" alot and saves expensive litigation and settlement.
The park wasn't really at fault--those doors are closed on thousands each day and this is not a common problem--but kept the peace. Same thing could easily happen with the dolphin situation at SW.

Sue in Texas
They make it very clear that the trays are not to be off of the ledge, so what is a ledge underneath the top of the wall going to do? The parents and kid didn't do what they were supposed to do. No matter what SW does, they would still would choose not to follow the RULES!!!!

We know someone whose child slammed a door on a ride and broke a finger. Universal gave the family free passes for life with front of the line privileges. This doesn't really "cost" alot and saves expensive litigation and settlement.
The park wasn't really at fault--those doors are closed on thousands each day and this is not a common problem--but kept the peace. Same thing could easily happen with the dolphin situation at SW.

What a sad world we live in, though, where the party who is not at fault is compelled to provide restitution to someone who didn't follow the rules (which were clearly stated) and was harmed as a result.

SeaWorld was not in the wrong. The young child made a mistake, and suffered the natural consequences of her error. Life lesson here......or should have been.

I don't think it matters what kind of safety measures or rules are put into place, people will abuse them, circumvent them, or, in this little girl's case, let their excitement take over and simply forget them. Whether intentional or not intentional, why should SW (or any other park) end up compensating for an action they counselled guests NOT do do?

I think the Universal response is more than generous.

I think the family posting the video of the incident on You Tube with the quote "It's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured at this attraction" and going to the media now is very unfortunate because a large percentage of people who see that video on the news or You Tube and haven't been to Sea World and don't know the rules of the dolphin feeding are just going to see a video of a dolphin biting a little girl which will cause people to have misguided assumptions about Sea World and how they operate their parks. It seems like Sea World doesn't get a break from bad press. If the parents acknowledged that they know the incident happened because a very important rule was not followed and said they don't intend to sue, then I wonder why they have chosen to go to the media :scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!