Gift for Navy promotion? What's appropriate?

Mrs.Toad

<font color=navy>The poster formerly known as Anah
I know we have a lot of military families on the board, so I'm hoping you can give me a little advice, since this is a first for me.

My friend is getting promoted to Chief Petty Officer, and I'll be going to her pinning ceremony this weekend. I want to get her a congratulatory card, of course, but I'm not sure what else. I'm thinking of sending flowers to her home, or bringing a bottle of wine to the reception, but I'm not sure if the wine is really appropriate, especially to bring to a reception that appears to be put on by the Navy for all the selectees.

What's customary?

Thanks,

Most promotion ceremonies don't do gifts. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen one, and I've been to a LOT of them (although usually for commissioned officers).

I would do something that can be placed in the card if you feel strongly about it. Or take it to their house later (that would get around the wine thing). As far as the wine, it's really not appropriate at the ceremony.

You're last sentence about the group ceremony made me realize that since you're talking about a CHIEF's ceremony, yes, these are usually group things. I've seen them happening at the club, and known many chiefs personally, but never been to the pinning. But since it is a group thing, I'd keep the gift for later. Are they having an "after" party? One good friend who was a chief did that for his retirement, and we took the gift there. The official retirement gifts were the command things like a shadow box, but there were personal gifts at the after party.

Thanks Lisa, that helps a lot.

They aren't having any after party, just the group reception. I'll probably just have some flowers delivered to her home, then. I want to do a little something, since she is so very proud of this and worked so hard for it.

Thanks,

I agree with the other poster.

I have been to a lot of military promotion ceremonies (agian, mostly commissioned officers), and have never seen a gift given. This is mostly in the Navy community.

However, becoming a Chief is very expensive becuase they need a whole set of new uniforms, etc. One typically sees the Chief-selects in and around the base for weeks prior trying to do any type of fundraising to help cut the costs- bake sales, car washes, raffles, for example. If you wanted to go that route, a monetary gift would be greatly appreciated, I have few doubts.

On the other hand, the flowers sound like a very thoughtful and heartfelt way to let her know that you're thinking of her- and it doesn't have the "tangles" of a monetary gift.

I think it's so nice that you've thought of her on this occassion! It's such a large on in her career!

Thank you to you too, UnderTheMistletoe.

Funny, she hasn't said anything about the costs, and I don't know of any fundraisers, but she is in the Reserves, so she probably needs fewer uniforms than others who are full-time.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for re-launching an 8 year old thread but its still relevant I hope..

A friend has made Lt Cmdr and I would like to buy him a gift. As you can see from my username I am not sure what to give. In the army, a plaque or engraved 105mm shell case might work. Being a bluejob however I thought I might try something like a phrase or quote custom on a picture board for example.

What I have thought of is to get something like a good navy quote or particular order (e.g. "its always Rum o'clock at Lt Cmdr XXX's house") that might be interesting and hopefully relevant, or something from Nelson or similar...

Any good ideas out there? Thanks in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!