Gift for friend moving to USA!?

beccy1606

Earning My Ears
Hi!

A colleague is moving from the UK to the US to start a new job and we would like to get her a voucher as a leaving present since she doesn't want anything bulky to transport!

Which US store/website do people recommend!? (We have about $90 to spend!)

Thanks guys!!

Assuming you know what area of the US she is moving to you also have the option of buying a department store gift card or even one issued by a worldwide credit card.

Target is always good. There's lots of "home" stuff you can buy there if you are just setting up a household. Other stores for that would be Marshall's/HomeGoods mentioned above but that would depend on if she's living in an well-populated area that would have them.

Believe or not, WM, is not readily found in every part of the USA. When we vacationed in CT, I made a point of visiting Walmart's just to see it, LOL. There is none in NYC that doesn't require at least an hour's car drive and then some of us have to worry about renting a car or even knowing how to drive;).

Believe or not, WM, is not readily found in every part of the USA. When we vacationed in CT, I made a point of visiting Walmart's just to see it, LOL. There is none in NYC that doesn't require at least an hour's car drive and then some of us have to worry about renting a car or even knowing how to drive;).
Walmart.com is as readily found as amazon.com

Walmart.com is as readily found as amazon.com
Yes but but it's not as much fun;). I've bought camping stuff and small appliances at walmart.com but still haven't succumbed to the charms of amazon beyond accessing books. Weird, I know.

OP where are they moving to? It would be a nice gesture to give them a gift card to somewhere they could actually shop at. The closest Walmart to me is 20 minutes away so I’ve never been there, since target is 5 minutes and less trashy.

Here in Canada there are a couple of US retailers that are very coveted shopping destinations as they don’t exist here and don’t ship internationally. Target and and Trader Joe’s are on the top of the list.

Can you look up the city/town they're moving to and see what stores are around? Moving is always so expensive, and then you get there and need so many things right away....cleaning products, grocery staples including all condiments and the "stuff" that just lives in the fridge or pantry all the time, etc. I'd say you can't go too wrong with Target, Walmart, or a local grocery store, depending on what's close to their new home.

I only know that she's moving to California but I know that doesn't really narrow it down lol! I will have to find out!! Thanks for all the great suggestions so far! :-)

I would say Amazon or Target. Amazon is world-wide, but sells items regional to the area buying them. When I buy things to send to my little cousins in Spain I go to Amazon.es, so I think it's still a good choice for things to buy in the USA.

I think it's very considerate of you and your friends to give a card like that to your friend. I'm sure whatever you give will be greatly appreciated.

I'd go with Amazon especially if they are not familiar with some of the stores listed and thus won't know if they will actually want to shop there. That's the downside to store branded gift cards.

And shopping at one place or another, physical shopping at least, can really depend on the area.

Amazon would mean they can get the lay of the land so to speak in their area and still get things they may want without having to spend it at a particular place before moving here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!