Get yer lugs on we're going to Disney - July 16 TR (update 8/11) Football and Chili's

I think it would be for any age... but would suspect that she'd need extra courses for older kids. But she wants to teach the very little ones.

That's great - I hope it all works out well for her. Hannah loves working with young children too.

:laughing: That's funny. You danced right around it. I suppose (North America being a big place and US/Canada sometimes differ as well) most people I've heard refer to them as air mattresses.

:laughing: Who me? Very true that there will be huge regional variations - feel free to adopt the term lilo if you want to. If you ever feel the need to break the rules of the pool just pretend you are British with a "We are having a splendid holiday. We are having such a jolly good time splashing around on our lilos."

I bet! Or... were you hoping he'd have one???

Oh no, I wouldn't have wanted that. Although he didn't appear after that day...do you think he's alright?

Looks like a lot of fun, but definitely quite the upper body workout!

It did look fun but definitely needed some gymnastic ability. I was quite relieved that they were able to go on without me!

Nobody is better at giving you a headache than your sibling. :rotfl2:
That's so true!

Well, tourist board lady, we were having an incredible day until you came and interfered causing our towels to get wet! :rolleyes1

Alan wasn't too amused - the funny thing was in 5 minutes she came back and we even filled in her survey. She was certainly persistent. Just as well we had a washing-machine to keep a fresh supply of towels.

I like that. I like planning a trip, but I really like having some flexibility.

And not being tied to your phone looking at MDE?

Seems like this always happens.

Yes, although we hadn't planned to stay for the parade at least when we were asked if we planned to stay for the parade we said yes.

I like this plan, divide and conquer.
We do that a lot in life.

You're making me tired just reading this. I'm thinking drive thru.

Now why didn't I think of that?

It does look pretty, so it didn't take good.

I think it tasted Ok. I can't remember so let's just say it wasn't memorable.

I'm a sucker for Chicken Pot Pie.
Peter is very fond of a chicken pie too. It was tasty but very filling.

That's exactly where I plan to go now. Good night!

It was really good. There was lots to do and having the car let us explore a bit further afield.

I have to do all the driving now so I'm not sure I want to when I am away but I would love to see more of the Orlando area.

It is unusual for them to get sunburn as I am always so careful. I think this would have been their first exposure to the sun this year and it was obviously just too strong.

A few of my grandkids have fair skin so I am always very careful with them also. I have had my share of bad sunburns and I try and protect them from the experience.

Thankyou, you had me checking my photos. The photo is Hannah and Alan. Now I would be quite happy to have that youthful look.

Oops. I should have looked more closely, I just assumed it was you and your husband. They are a lovely father and daughter though.

:laughing: Who me? Very true that there will be huge regional variations - feel free to adopt the term lilo if you want to. If you ever feel the need to break the rules of the pool just pretend you are British with a "We are having a splendid holiday. We are having such a jolly good time splashing around on our lilos."

:laughing: I may just use that!

Oh no, I wouldn't have wanted that. Although he didn't appear after that day...do you think he's alright?

Only one way to find out.... head on down and try to take a lilo in.

Lovely update! No plans kind of holiday can be quite lovely. I think I'd like SOME plans and an idea of what could be done, but be flexible in that as well. Then, again, I've been known to bonzai tour as well. Both have their place.

36384285921_fd0e3feeb9_c.jpg

This is a stunning shot. The terrace is great; what a view!!!

I've survived my first full week back at work.

YAY!!!! I was wondering if that was getting close. Question answered!

Hi Liesa! :wave:

Lovely update!
Thank you!

No plans kind of holiday can be quite lovely. I think I'd like SOME plans and an idea of what could be done, but be flexible in that as well.

I had some ideas what we might do and some tickets pre-purchased but it was a great change from WDW. It was also great knowing we had the car and could get out and explore the island.

This is a stunning shot. The terrace is great; what a view!!!
It was a lovely area to sit and relax.

YAY!!!! I was wondering if that was getting close. Question answered!

We've been back at work just over 2 weeks now. Hannah and Peter went back to school on Wednesday.

Hi Liesa! :wave:
Hey Lady! :)

I had some ideas what we might do and some tickets pre-purchased but it was a great change from WDW. It was also great knowing we had the car and could get out and explore the island.

Good plan! Looking forward to your explorations!

We've been back at work just over 2 weeks now. Hannah and Peter went back to school on Wednesday.

How is that going? Good first week or two?

Good plan! Looking forward to your explorations!

Stay tuned - some explorations are coming right up!

How is that going? Good first week or two?

Things are going well but just incredibly busy. I'm currently 6 staff down so that is a bit of a strain.

I'm enjoying your summer vacation.

Thanks - glad you are enjoying it.

Your view from your terrace is beautiful!

It certainly was. It may not be the last time I share that view.

Day 5 in Tenerife – A harbour on a hill?

After breakfast we stopped off at the supermarket to get some sandwiches, crisps and drinks to take with us for lunch. We wanted to explore some of the area a bit further north of where we were staying. We had looked at the map that we had been given by the car hire company and it had little photos at the side with numbers beside them. Number 25 labelled Guía de Isora showed a little harbour – who doesn’t like a harbour? When we saw the road sign for Guía de Isora we turned off the main road and started to ascend on a smaller road. We drove into a one street village and discovered there was a lot of parking spaces but not a lot else. Alan and Peter at this stage were having fun. Alan made a point of stopping at different points along the street and went down a couple of dead-ends to see if he could find the promised marina. He pointed out to Peter it was quite unusual for a marina to be up a hill so it would be worth finding. “Ok boys, there is no marina here!” We decided that we might have better luck finding the marina by the sea. Just a hunch, you know? I looked at the map noting that Guía de Isora was in fact inland. On the map there was a yellow road marked to Playa de San Juan. Playa de San Juan looked like it was right next to the sea and from my limited Spanish I knew that Playa was a beach. All was good...except that yellow road. It was steep, twisty and did I mention narrow? I was that passenger that held onto the door handle and hit my imaginary foot brake. Alan did not find this behaviour particularly helpful and enquired if I wanted to drive. I don’t mind any rollercoaster but this was much scarier especially when cars came in the opposite direction. Then the fuel warning light came on. We eventually got to the bottom of the road and headed on the road out of Playa de San Juan in search of a fuel station. Someone came out and we got €20 of gasolina. I am always pleasantly surprised by fuel prices outside the UK. Then again we pay 58p a litre in fuel duty and then VAT on top of that so most of the money goes directly to the government. Relieved that we had sufficient fuel in our car we headed back to Playa de San Juan.

We got parked relatively easily close to the sea front.

There was a small market that we had a look around but didn’t make any purchases.

Peter got some exercise at the outdoor gym. Just what you need in the heat of the day!

After our short stroll through the market we returned to the car to get our lunch. We managed to find a nearby bench.

I wasn’t too impressed with the taste of my Chicken Tikka sandwich – it was really vinegary. On closer inspection of the packaging it turned out that it had an expiry date of November 2017. Needless to say it was absolutely jam packed with artificial preservatives. Yuck! I haven’t come across this before. Pre-packaged sandwiches in the UK are fresh sandwiches that have to be eaten that day. Needless to say we didn’t buy any more of those sandwiches.

After lunch Peter and I went down to explore the rocky outcrop.

The steps led back up to the market.

We headed along the promenade in the other direction. Now, this looks more like a marina!

We really liked it here. It was much quieter than the beach we had been on earlier in the week. There were some lovely looking cafés and restaurants.

Not satisfied with one marina we headed along the coastal road to Los Gigantes. It was very busy at this resort and we tried quite a few options in our search for a parking space. After a while I spotted a very tight space at the side of the road. He did a great job of parking – rather him than me – with cars waiting not so patiently behind. There was a parking meter so we went to figure it out. The notice on the machine was in Spanish. We could read some of it but wanted to be certain about the parking regulations. Peter at this stage brought out his phone announcing he had the Google Translate app. He held up his phone to the sign and as if by magic it appeared on his phone screen in English. Wow! We discovered that the part of the afternoon we didn’t need to pay for parking. It was during the traditional siesta time and the shops were closed. They would open again in the evening. We were keen to get some ice lollies or ice cream. We looked round a few shops before we were successful. I got a watermelon one that resembled a triangular slice of watermelon. I don't know if you can imagine it ...you'll have to try as I didn't take a photo...too busy trying to find somewhere to sit and eat it.

When we arrived at the marina there were a couple of ice cream shops. We had a little walk around the marina and stopped to watch the large groups of fish. For some reason I haven’t got a photo from our visit here. From Los Gigantes we headed back onto the main road back to Adeje avoiding the awful road we had used to get to Playa de San Juan. We stopped off at the supermarket commercial centre and Alan went to the supermarket with Peter. Hannah and I went to a homeware store and picked up some cloths with cute owl designs as part of a gift for my Mum. Alan made us a tasty curry for dinner. He had even remembered to buy a box of matches so we could light the tea lights on the terrace.

Did I mention I loved this terrace?

It's great to have so many of you joining in the New Year Celebrations. We even had Terra Nova guy as our first foot. Those who already have googled Hogmanay will know what that means. Traditionally Hogmanay (name for New Year's Eve) in Scotland was the main holiday in Scotland. In fact Christmas as a festival was banned in Scotland following the reformation. It was not until 1958 that Christmas day became a public holiday in Scotland. That's a very short simplified history. My grandparents were very into Hogmanay and New Year celebrations. They used to meet up with family in one of their houses. The night would begin with a meal with steak pie being the main course. They would then all take a turn of singing a song or reciting a poem. There were a lot of superstitions and customs. My gran always kept to the house being cleaned for the New Year and of paying back any money owed. Although you don't really hear bells now, midnight is still referred to as 'the bells'. Alan remembers as a child there would be the sound of the shipyard hooters at midnight. Things have definitely changed in recent times and it made me a bit sad to see so many of Hannah's friends posting on Facebook and Instagram pictures of them at 'New Year's Eve'. I definitely felt I had taken on the mantle of the older generation as I ranted "It's Hogmanay". At least my grannie would be proud! In that vein I'll leave you with a verse from a New Year song which to me sums up the Scots' sentimentality.

A guid new year to ane an a
An mony may ye see,
An during a the years to come,
O happy may ye be.
An may ye ne'er hae cause to mourn,
To sigh or shed a tear;
To ane an a baith great an sma
A hearty guid New year.

My grandfather was born in Glasgow and immigrated to the US as a young boy. He passed away a few years ago, but we still do first foot and thankfully my grandmother taught me to make steak pie before she passed.

:welcome: Mom2gymnasts! Lovely to have you here.

My grandfather was born in Glasgow

That's great you had a Glaswegian Granda! Do you know what part of Glasgow he lived in?

He passed away a few years ago, but we still do first foot and thankfully my grandmother taught me to make steak pie before she passed.

I'm sure they would be pleased you are continuing to observe the New Year traditions. Steak pie is definitely a tradition worth continuing.

Alan made a point of stopping at different points along the street and went down a couple of dead-ends to see if he could find the promised marina. He pointed out to Peter it was quite unusual for a marina to be up a hill so it would be worth finding.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I wasn’t too impressed with the taste of my Chicken Tikka sandwich – it was really vinegary. On closer inspection of the packaging it turned out that it had an expiry date of November 2017. Needless to say it was absolutely jam packed with artificial preservatives. Yuck!
:eek: The only meat I'm eating that is going to be good months from now and isn't in a freezer is called jerky... I'd definitely not be getting any more of those sandwiches either!

::yes:: And rightfully so.

You're drive down the narrow road had me gripping my seat. Thankfully you made it. The marina's sounded very nice and scenic. Sorry you're food wasn't better. Having a homemade dinner on the beautiful terrace sure made up for it.

Number 25 labelled Guía de Isora showed a little harbour – who doesn’t like a harbour?

I harbour no ill will towards them.

He pointed out to Peter it was quite unusual for a marina to be up a hill so it would be worth finding.

:rolleyes:

We decided that we might have better luck finding the marina by the sea. Just a hunch, you know?

Clever! You're one smart cookie!

from my limited Spanish I knew that Playa was a beach.

Life's a beach, too.

All was good...except that yellow road. It was steep, twisty and did I mention narrow?

No you didn't. Was it narrow?

I was that passenger that held onto the door handle and hit my imaginary foot brake.

I have a word for people like that when I drive.

But I'll just say nothing right about here. :rolleyes1

Alan did not find this behaviour particularly helpful and enquired if I wanted to drive.

Alan and I would get along just fine.

Then the fuel warning light came on.

Not what you want in a strange place.

Then again we pay 58p a litre in fuel duty and then VAT on top of that so most of the money goes directly to the government.

Sounds familiar. What are you paying/liter?

Peter got some exercise at the outdoor gym. Just what you need in the heat of the day!

:laughing:

On closer inspection of the packaging it turned out that it had an expiry date of November 2017. Needless to say it was absolutely jam packed with artificial preservatives. Yuck!

Ew... :sick:

Needless to say we didn’t buy any more of those sandwiches.

No kidding! Gross!

We headed along the promenade in the other direction. Now, this looks more like a marina!

I see boats. That's a good sign.

Peter at this stage brought out his phone announcing he had the Google Translate app. He held up his phone to the sign and as if by magic it appeared on his phone screen in English. Wow!

::yes:: I have that app. Used it on occasion in Italy.

We were keen to get some ice lollies or ice cream.

Can you eat a lollie on a lilo? Is that allowed?

We had a little walk around the marina and stopped to watch the large groups of fish.

Scary. Large groups of fish, roaming the streets.

::yes::

They take mocking to a whole different level! :sad2:

:eek: The only meat I'm eating that is going to be good months from now and isn't in a freezer is called jerky... I'd definitely not be getting any more of those sandwiches either!

We are usually really careful about what food contains. You certainly can't buy sandwiches that last for months in the UK. Thank goodness!

You're drive down the narrow road had me gripping my seat. Thankfully you made it.

It definitely is worse in the passenger seat - at least in the driver's seat you have more control. We lived to tell the tale but certainly weren't in a hurry to repeat the experience.

The marina's sounded very nice and scenic.

They are always good for a potter round but not as scenic as some of our Scottish harbours.

Sorry you're food wasn't better.

Only one meal out my life - I can live with that! Didn't seem to do us any harm.

Having a homemade dinner on the beautiful terrace sure made up for it.

I had intended eating out more. Peter, in particular, always campaigned for dinner on the terrace.

Life's a beach, too.

Yes, so they say!

No you didn't. Was it narrow?

I suppose it's all relative... we have some single track roads in Scotland there is only room for one car coming in one direction. You then get the fun of using passing places.

I have a word for people like that when I drive.

But I'll just say nothing right about here. :rolleyes1

Probably very wise! Drivers don't always make great passengers.

Alan and I would get along just fine.

I'm sure you would..although you may prefer the company of my Biker brothers.

Sounds familiar. What are you paying/liter?

I think diesel and petrol are roughly the same at the moment with the best price being £1.19 a litre.

Ew, indeed!

No kidding! Gross!

I didn't even know that such sandwiches existed. You live, you learn!

I see boats. That's a good sign.
::yes::

Can you eat a lollie on a lilo? Is that allowed?

I refer the kind gentleman back to the rules of the pool and that if you were to eat the said 'lolly on a lilo' you would be contravening rules 9 and 12. I hope to goodness you weren't contemplating breaking rule 6 or anarchy may ensue.

Scary. Large groups of fish, roaming the streets.

It is a large scale problem in Los Gigantes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!