Get yer lugs on we're going to Disney - July 16 TR (update 8/11) Football and Chili's

stick around and please make yourself known and feel free to comment.

Hi! :wave:

This will be our 6th family trip to Florida. Our first trip was in July 2008.

Wow. Look how they've grown!

The trip in 2008 was our ‘Once in a Life-time’ trip. I wonder how many people have said that?

Hmmm... I'm going to go out on a limb and guess... 85-90% of every person who goes to Disney.

In May 2015 we booked our summer 2016 holiday. This was extra early as we hadn’t even been on our 2016 holiday to Orlando yet.

Makes sense. Unless of course you have time travel figured out.
So if you have, then... Can you go back to my parent's place say... 40 years ago and tell the younger me to not be so scared of girls?

Some of the family were feeling a bit anxious about some of the recent events in Turkey.

<sigh> Yeah. I get that.

The part of Turkey we were due to go to wasn’t deemed as unsafe

This is a great way to promote tourism.
"Visit Turkey! Some places not quite as dangerous as others!!"

Alan and I had a chat and decided to cancel our trip to Turkey.

Understandable.

Hannah has always referred to the Magic Kingdom as her ‘Happy place’.

Awww... :goodvibes

I haven’t posted a video before so fingers crossed that you can access it.

It worked! And I watched! And.... awwwwww....

Travel... not the most exciting part of any trip. Please feel free to skip and come back and join me later.

I make you read mine, so fair is fair...

If you choose to stay the only relief is that you don’t have to endure it in real time.

Oh! Great idea!
I'm going to do that next TR.
The travel day will take 8 hours to read through.

I'll be sure to give you full credit.

There is a lack of photos

There always is.

We had direct flights from Glasgow to Orlando with Thomas Cook.

Nice!

My Dad arrived at 6:30 am to give us a lift to the airport.

That's what Dad's do.

While we were in the queue we heard one Dad announce to his extended family, “Get yer lugs on we’re going to Disney!” and our trip report title was born.

Well, that explains it.

His family all dutifully put on their Mickey Ears for a photo.

:lmao:

For any readers unfamiliar with the Scots language ‘lugs’ is a Scots word for ears.

I did not know that.
I'm getting an education here.

Before the trip I was checking on a website that offers a ‘Free If’ deals that means if you find the exact thing for less after you have booked you can make a claim within 24 hours and if successful will get it for free.

Never heard of that. Pretty sweet.

The cost of the lounge for the 4 of us was £72.50. I submitted a claim with screenshots as I was able to book on the Glasgow airport website for £65 as under their pricing Hannah was classed as a child. I got an e-mail to say that my claim was successful and that I would get my £72.50 refunded.

Nice! Way to go.
Did you know that before you booked that Hannah was a child on the other website and you'd probably get it for free?

Seriously, four alcoholic drinks at breakfast? Who wants to drink that? Put your hands down - it was a rhetorical question!

:rotfl:

Well, maybe the Air Transat pilots but best not to speculate.

Meh. You run out of fuel over the Atlantic once in a while and people complain.

I paid the £12 to upgrade Hannah, Peter and Alan’s but even then the offerings were pretty limited.

Highway (or in this case, airway?) robbery.

There were 2 meal choices; chicken and bangers and mash. The food wasn’t up to much.

Airplane food. Seldom a gourmet's dream.

As we moved away we looked over our shoulders – what a queue!

Nice move on booking seats up near the front. :thumbsup2

We managed to get through the airport and in our car in just over an hour from landing. Success!

Yay!

After last year’s experience of the sleepy SAT NAV I printed out a copy of directions. This got us going in the right direction before Dermot (SAT NAV man) woke up!

Oh! Good idea. I'll have to try to remember that for the future.

I'm so glad you told us the meaning of lugs....whew! I, like several others, thought it meant shoes for sure and I'll be darned if I could figure out why their shoes weren't on in the first place but, I wasn't going to ask in case I was the only loser know nothing out there.

At least I didn't keep people waiting for the meaning! I can see how you would think that. We don't have to take our shoes off for security here though. If you want a funnier one on the difference between UK and US English have a read at the Nice Pants chapter in my 2015 TR. There is a link in the chapter headings on page one.

So that's what it means! Funny I actually lived in Aberdeen for a year in 1998 but lugs is one word I didn't pick up on. I have to say I lived there for a few months before I realized that everyone in Scotland didn't mistakenly think my name was "Ken". :rotfl2:

You were definitely in the East coast with ye ken. It basically means you know, ken? With some folks it is a bit of a filler between phrases. You may well have come across people speaking the Doric dialect which is a whole other language. Fit like?

Well :wave:! and :welcome: You got here extra quick!

Wow. Look how they've grown!

I know! Those were the days when they stood in front of us for photos!

Hmmm... I'm going to go out on a limb and guess... 85-90% of every person who goes to Disney.

Well, if the Disboards are anything to go by that seems about right.

Makes sense. Unless of course you have time travel figured out.
So if you have, then... Can you go back to my parent's place say... 40 years ago and tell the younger me to not be so scared of girls?

Aww..so did you get over your fear or just find one that wasn't so scary?

This is a great way to promote tourism.
"Visit Turkey! Some places not quite as dangerous as others!!"

Unfortunately a lot of Europe is affected just now! I felt bad cancelling - so many Turkish people rely on tourism. In fact when I told people I was going to Orlando as it was safer people went really? It was just after the shootings and tragic alligator incident.

It worked! And I watched! And.... awwwwww...

It is indeed a miracle - something worked first time!

Oh! Great idea!
I'm going to do that next TR.
The travel day will take 8 hours to read through.

I'll be sure to give you full credit.

Thanks! I'm sure your readers will appreciate that. You wanted a trip report here's the reality.

That's what Dad's do.

I know they are the best. To be fair we do the same for them.

I did not know that.
I'm getting an education here.

That's what I do - try and educate the world. The world is a better place for knowing that. Children in the past used to skelpt round the lugs but that is a thing of the past.

Nice! Way to go.
Did you know that before you booked that Hannah was a child on the other website and you'd probably get it for free?

Yes and I also checked I could get a full refund if my claim was unsuccessful. The breakfast was fine but I wouldn't pay £72.50 for it.

Highway (or in this case, airway?) robbery.

It just seemed to me as well an unnecessary task for crew to do - going round selling codes to access the 'premium' service. To my mind it cheapens the brand for not a lot of revenue.

Airplane food. Seldom a gourmet's dream.

Well apparently top chef James Martin has put together an exclusive menu for Thomas Cook - not really his finest work in my humble opinion.

Nice move on booking seats up near the front. :thumbsup2
It seemed to work on this occasion.

Oh! Good idea. I'll have to try to remember that for the future.
I try to learn from experience. The satnav seems to take a long time to wake up from the parking garage.

You got here extra quick!

You caught me in a moment of weekness.

Those were the days when they stood in front of us for photos!

:laughing:

Aww..so did you get over your fear or just find one that wasn't so scary?

I started feeling a bit more comfortable around girls in high school and my first girlfriend (after high school!) cured me.

Unfortunately a lot of Europe is affected just now!

<sigh> Yeah.... :sad2:

In fact when I told people I was going to Orlando as it was safer people went really? It was just after the shootings and tragic alligator incident.

You start wondering if anywhere is safe anymore.

To be fair we do the same for them.

::yes::

Children in the past used to skelpt round the lugs but that is a thing of the past.

They what??? Explain yourself young lady!

Yes and I also checked I could get a full refund if my claim was unsuccessful. The breakfast was fine but I wouldn't pay £72.50 for it.

:thumbsup2

It just seemed to me as well an unnecessary task for crew to do - going round selling codes to access the 'premium' service. To my mind it cheapens the brand for not a lot of revenue.

Pinching pennies until they scream.

Well apparently top chef James Martin has put together an exclusive menu for Thomas Cook - not really his finest work in my humble opinion.

Oh, really?

I try to learn from experience. The satnav seems to take a long time to wake up from the parking garage.

::yes:: Had the same experience. But I didn't learn. So you're officially smarter than I am.
No surprise there.

You've got me remembering all sorts of things :rotfl2: Like clean your lug holes out :lmao: Also buggalugs :rotfl:

Well alrighty then. I'm off to read your 2015 trip report right now.

Alright see you soon!

You caught me in a moment of weekness.

I'm not so sure - sounds like task avoidance to me!

I started feeling a bit more comfortable around girls in high school and my first girlfriend (after high school!) cured me.

Good - you must have just been shy with people you didn't know. Get to know them - problem solved!

They what??? Explain yourself young lady!

Skelpt is the past participle of skelp which means to slap in this case to the ears. I personally was never slapped round the ears - my Mum was more likely to aim for my legs. We are a much gentler people now and slapping children is frowned upon.

Pinching pennies until they scream.

Indeed - then they are round selling scratch cards, collecting your foreign currency (not until the way home at least).

You've got me remembering all sorts of things :rotfl2: Like clean your lug holes out :lmao: Also buggalugs

On no! See what I've started -well technically it was the man in the queue. Buggalugs? - I thought that was Australian.

I'm not so sure - sounds like task avoidance to me!

Nope! If you'll notice, I've put up a rather large update.

Good - you must have just been shy with people you didn't know. Get to know them - problem solved!

Yup. Shy around people I didn't know.... or knew.... or knew really well... if they were girls.

Skelpt is the past participle of skelp which means to slap in this case to the ears. I personally was never slapped round the ears - my Mum was more likely to aim for my legs. We are a much gentler people now and slapping children is frowned upon.

I dunno. I can think of a few people who could use a good skelp to the lugs.

Day One Part Two: Arriving at the Sheraton Vistana Resort

We are on-site Disney converts. We stayed offsite on our first trip in 2008. Our next trip in 2009 we stayed in the Swan and loved the location, Disney transport, free parking and extra magic hours. We said we never wanted to stay offsite again. Since then we have stayed 3 times with the UK free Disney Dining offer. As we weren’t going to Disney this year we didn’t book the free dining offer when it was available. Accommodation wise we need an arrangement to give the children separate sleeping areas. At 3 months out I looked at Old Key West and all that was available were the grand villas. I decided to look at some other off-site options. I wanted to still be close in to WDW. I looked into the possibility of Wyndham Bonnet Creek but it proved difficult to get the availability we needed for a 2 bedroom. One possibility for a 2 bedroom apartment was the Sheraton Vistana Resort at Lake Buena Vista. This is a favourite of @Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina. I was able to book a 2 bedroom apartment with Thomas Cook.

Having made such good time at the airport we headed to the Sheraton Vistana Resort. I took Hannah and Peter in to the Welcome Center to check in. This didn’t take too long. We were offered breakfasts instead of housekeeping but stuck with housekeeping. We were also offered a chance to attend a timeshare meeting with a $100 gift and lightsabers but I politely refused. I had completed the Diamond lane request ahead of time and asked for top floor villa with skylight, close to pool and not bordering the I4 or 535. We were given Cascades building 17 apartment 2288 on the 4th floor. This was just across the road from the Cascades pool. We were shown on the map the location of our villa.

Our apartment was at the end of the building at the top. There was another flight of stairs to the 5th floor but as you can see it was not directly above us.

Alan and I were in the process of lugging our cases up the stairs when someone from housekeeping saw us and said “Sir, there’s an elevator!” Given we had only ascended one flight at this stage we opted to go back down and use the elevator which was a much better option! We were in our villa just after 4pm. I quickly took some photos. I will give you a quick tour.

First up the open plan lounge, dining and kitchen area. This was a good size.

The washer/dryer was behind the louvre doors.

The sofa was a sofa bed but it was great to just have it as a sofa this year.

Next up the master bedroom.

The master bedroom had a King sized bed. It also had good storage with a 4 drawer chest of drawers and a large wardrobe. The safe was a decent size and it was easy to store a few iPads, camera, camcorder and passports. There was a door to the balcony from the bedroom.

There was a large spa bath in the corner of the room.

This is the vanity area within the master bedroom. Note that the stool was too low to see in the mirror. The door leads to the ensuite.

This is one of the best showers I’ve had in accommodation with good pressure and at a good height. There were plenty of large towels.

There was a sink in the corner of the ensuite.

The second bedroom had two full sized beds. This was a big plus as last year at Old Key West Hannah slept on a sofa bed and Peter the sleeper chair. It was also good to have additional storage in terms of a wardrobe and chest of drawers.

The extra bathroom was really helpful when getting ready in the morning. Hannah this holiday was very much into her makeup and we had to set a time limit. The vanity area gave Hannah space or more importantly gave us space.

We quickly got changed and headed out to Cici’s Pizza which is just across the road from the resort. We arrived at 5pm. We had been to this Cici’s previously but not for a few years. The pizza was nice and fresh. They have introduced stuffed crust pizzas.

Hannah enjoyed getting some pasta, salad and pink lemonade.

I tried a piece of each of the desserts - apple dessert pizza, brownie and cinnamon roll. I can confirm that they tasted good.

The total cost for 4 buffets was $42.52. It wasn’t too busy in CiCi’s so we were finished by 5.50pm. We popped into the Dollar Tree Store next door to buy a tray of water bottles. Hannah and Peter also chose July 4th glow sticks.

DH will ask "Have you finished hoovering upstairs or are you on Disboards?"

Priorities.
Or... "If you want the hoovering done, then git off yer lazy butt and do it!"

This option might not go over well...

Priorities.
Or... "If you want the hoovering done, then git off yer lazy butt and do it!"

This option might not go over well...

Unfortunately or fortunately that isn't the case with Alan - he'll be putting on laundry, cutting the grass, cooking the dinner. He's a hard worker and doesn't quite understand the lure of the Dis. He even has the cheek to call it Dismal Boards. He just doesn't understand. Saying that I would rather have a hardworking husband than a feckless one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter