Get ready to unpack your carry on bags...

I would take everything out of my bag, repack it and repeat the process three more times to avoid a 9-hour drive over a shorter flight.

But to each their own.

Maybe we'll see carry on sizes start to be enforced. So much of what I see others carry on is much larger that the posted size restrictions for carry on. I've only seen them check carry on sizes at the gate once and that was for a packed LA to NYC red eye flight. Maybe we'll see charges for carry on and free checked bags. Maybe do away with carry on altogether and only allow what fits under the seat. If the machines are better for checked bags, they should encourage more checked baggage and less carryon anyway. That will also make it quicker to load and unload the planes.

There actually isn't an "interview". I made my appointment at a local center. When I got there, no one else was there. They took a copy of my passport, took my fingerprints digitally, paid for it and that was it. It was a Tuesday, I had my number by email by Saturday.
That *is* the "interview"
Granted, mine was for Global Entry, but they definitely asked me some questions. "Have you ever been convicted of a felony" sticks in my mind. My number was printed on the form I left with.

I went through this leaving Las Vegas last month, as did the guy in front of me. He had a true carry on (clothes, etc) and it had to be opened and inspected. I had a backpack with some candy left in it and a bunch of cords (laptop, phone, tablet, etc). The TSA screener told me I did everything fine, that they were tightening up on screening. I don't know that the combined searches (mine and the guy in front of me) took 5 minutes. Even with added security, flying is more efficient than driving.

To be honest, if I only had a 9 hour drive, I would ALWAYS drive. I never used to mind flying but as I get older it makes me more and more nervous. Plus all the inconveniences, annoyances, expense, etc. Alas, my drive is 22-24 hours and it's awful so I'll put up with the flying for now (I also just got my TSA pre-check so hopefully it will be less annoying now).

Precheck was about a 30 minute drive for us. Well worth it. If we ever travel out of the country, I will have to travel down to Boston ahead of time to do Global Entry.

Precheck makes for a much less stressful start to the trip. I have mobility difficulty so taking my shoes on and off and unpacking a bag makes for grumpy travelers behind me in the security line.

I agree with OP that I would prefer train or car travel but time just does not permit it at this stage in life for every trip.

Hey if they want to look inside my carry on that is fine by me. I have nothing to hide. I always plan with plenty of extra time to spare just in case.

Granted, mine was for Global Entry, but they definitely asked me some questions. "Have you ever been convicted of a felony" sticks in my mind. My number was printed on the form I left with.

Global Entry does have a real interview. For PreCheck those standard questions are on the form you fill out to preregister (they reminded me quite a bit of those "have you stopped beating your wife" questions that are on the ICE form that you fill out on planes coming into the US.)

I assume those questions were part of the background check. I was not asked any questions at the center.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!