Germaphob mom, newly potty trained toddler, and WDW potties Q

WeLoveLilo05

DIS Veteran
Anyone have any tips and tricks for me with my 2 yr old DD when it comes to potties at WDW? I am a germaphob, needless to say my daughter has yet to use a public bathroom. When out I usually tell my daughter to go before we leave and I have her first potty in the trunk of my car for an emergency. I see the travel seats that fold up and can be put in a bag and then over the toilets but I am still thinking the front section of the toilet is exposed, usually where people end up leaving a mess on the toilet (sorry I know gross). Anyone out there like me? Any tips/ideas? Thanks!

I buy potty flushable potty covers from Babies R Us. There are a couple different kinds, but the flushable ones are a lot bigger and do a better job of covering the seat. I have major OCD issues with public bathrooms and avoid them at all cost. So I was rather relieved that my boys potty trained rather late (3 1/2). When we took a Disney trip shortly after they were potty trained I put them in pull ups "just in case" and they ended up preferring to just use them most of the time. Still had to use the bathrooms to change them part of the time (used child care centers mostly), but happily avoided maneuvering in a small stall with 2 boys and using the actual toilets most of the trip. And they had zero issues going right back to using the potty at home.

The bathrooms in the Child Care Centers are much cleaner than the average restroom in the parks so when able try using them. Another tip, most of the toilets are auto flush and can go off while still seated with a smaller or wiggling child. Some also flush very hard and splash quite a bit. I haven't tried it yet, but people suggest using post it notes to cover the sensor so it won't flush until they are done. It's usually something done for kids who are scared of it, but after being splashed a couple times with toilet water I think it's a great idea to help avoid that as well.

I would bring a pack of antibacterial/cleaning wipes with me and give the toilet a quick wipe down before use and just hold her from falling in. I know their are some organic sprays out there (I think Babyganics is one) if you don't like the idea of chemicals on your DD's bottom, I'm willing to bet they have wipes too.

I would leave a potty seat in my hotel room to make it easier for her to do all of her business if she is on a regular schedule.

I second the antibacterial wipes. I thought about taking a travel potty seat (and we did use one at the hotel), but it was way too much trouble for the parks. And I also agree with using the baby care bathrooms as much as you can. And we just spent a lot of time washing hands.

Anyone have any tips and tricks for me with my 2 yr old DD when it comes to potties at WDW? I am a germaphob, needless to say my daughter has yet to use a public bathroom. When out I usually tell my daughter to go before we leave and I have her first potty in the trunk of my car for an emergency. I see the travel seats that fold up and can be put in a bag and then over the toilets but I am still thinking the front section of the toilet is exposed, usually where people end up leaving a mess on the toilet (sorry I know gross). Anyone out there like me? Any tips/ideas? Thanks!
my guess is you are going to have a bigger problem with auto flush and noise. you will hear other toilets flush and they are loud. know you don't want to hear this but you need to start having your child use pubic restrooms well before you get to Disney. you are going to want post it notes to cover sensor so toilet does not flush when she is on. remember to remove and flush when done and leaving stall. not even sure this is still true but only baby center which is near front of each park is only place without auto flush. if you go fold up seat make sure it is secure on toilets that are open in front as not all are. plus how are you going to clean if she messes it up. they only fit on top of seat not over the seat.
having her small potty in trunk will not be of much help at MK as parking is 20 or more minutes from front of park plus you could be that long to get to the front of park depending on time of day and where you are in the park. asi said not what you wanted to hear.

I'm totally not a public restroom germaphobe (don't even use seat covers), but when I was in the stall with my kids, I didn't want them touching anything, so I'd tell them to put their hands on their heads (you're not going to pick up,an illness on your arsh, but yes to your hands). Plus really good hand washing, of course.

thanks going to look at those toilet covers, I always have antibacterial wipes on me bc my oldest has food allergies so I am always wiping down tables and chairs, and post its, and maybe disposable gloves, the thought of touching someone else urine while wiping the seats makes me want to vomit lololol.

I don't understand the potty in the back of the car thing. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to work out the logistics. Where do you use it? On the side of the road? In parking lots? In the actual car? What do you do with the waste?

Frankly, that seems like dealing with a lot more germs than just using a restroom where you can properly wash your hands with warm soap and water afterwards opposed to using sanitizer.

I'm pretty germaphob-y too, but not so much about toilets. I'm way more concerned about my hands (and my toddler's hands, since he constantly puts them in his mouth). I just put some TP down on the seat (and I don't even do that all of the time). What do you think you (or your child) are going to catch by using a public toilet?

There's a thing called the Tottigo Pack N Potty. It covers the front of the toilet seat, including the part where the kid's feet dangle. It's also really great for use at hotels and other places where the kid just doesn't fit well on the seat. Those fold-up ones are too flimsy and uncomfortable, IMO

I used the potty seat more so they wouldn't fall in than anything else. I never really stressed it because they wash their hands when they leave the stall. It was more teaching them not to put their hands in their mouth that I concerned myself with.

know you don't want to hear this but you need to start having your child use pubic restrooms well before you get to Disney.

A thousand times this. Don't want to be harsh and simply say "get over it", but to some degree you're going to have to. I can't even imagine the amount of hassle you'd have to go through to completely avoid using them...not only at WDW, but other places as DD gets older. A little common sense hygiene will go a long way to preventing issues.

I don't understand the potty in the back of the car thing. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to work out the logistics. Where do you use it? On the side of the road? In parking lots? In the actual car? What do you do with the waste?

Frankly, that seems like dealing with a lot more germs than just using a restroom where you can properly wash your hands with warm soap and water afterwards opposed to using sanitizer.

I can't speak for OP but we used one for the last several years with my 3 young ones -- however we have a minivan and I typically have one of the seats stowed in the floor so I have some more area to work with.

We drive from Buffalo to Baltimore (6hr trip) a lot to visit my parents and it came in handy during those times when my kids were between 2 and 3 and couldn't wait until we made it to a rest stop. Same for driving to OBX (12hrs). It would usually just be pee -- they sit in the van and pee (I have tinted windows), then they put the toilet paper in a garbage bag, wiped their hands down with wipes, put that in the garbage bag....next time we pulled over I would throw the garbage bag away, empty the potty and wipe it out with wipes. It is a pain to do all of that, but it did beat having a kid freaking out about needing to pee until we could find somewhere to stop (a long duration of that trip is through central PA and can be long distances between exits). For "#2s", I really urged them to try to wait, unless they were having a really urgent bowel issue. We also used it when we went camping -- tent camping, I'd keep it right outside the back of the tent, and cabin camping I kept it in the cabin so I didn't have to schlep them to the restrooms if they had to pee at 2am. The kids are almost 4, 5 1/2 and almost 7 now so the potty has been used less and less but in those instances it did come in handy. That said I won't miss having to deal with it either. ;-)

I also do the "don't touch stuff" in the public restrooms by having them keep their hands at their sides or on their head as previously suggested. Depending on how well kept the restroom is I may hold them and slightly hover them above the seat and hand them toilet paper to wipe.

My kids were also afraid of the loud auto-flushes for a good while as well. That softened into just holding their hands over their ears after a while. But I would definitely get her used to using a public potty well before the trip.

The travel potty I have uses the garbage bag liners so they go and you throw it away like you would a diaper. For myself I have a minivan so there's no need to get out of the car at all. Fold one seat down in the back and we have a rather large area to sit a small potty chair. No more germs than changing diapers and only my child's germs to worry about. It's small enough I imagine you could also sit it on a seat in a car if you wanted.

My 3 year old is not a fan of loud potties so I put toilet paper over the auto flush sensor. As others have said- practice going in public restrooms (somewhere you know that is generally pretty clean so it's easier on you!). I also have him hold his hands together so he isn't tempted to touch anything.... and then get out of the stalll ASAP :)

As the parent of a kindergartener and 4th grader I want to remind you that at some point your child will be going to public restrooms without you unless you plan to go with your child to preschool do you can make sure your kid is following your complicated gremaphobe rules. I would focus on making sure your child knows how to go without splashing, how to flush, get dressed after, and wash hands because eventually she'll be going to the bathroom without you.

I studied these things for living at one point. You don't need to worry about it. The toilet seat is cleaner than pretty much anything else she will touch at Disney. It's documented fact. The skin that touches that seat has been covered all day and protected from microbes. Our hands, not so much. Yet this is the surface we worry about.

as another poster said I would be more worried about what your daughter touches outside of restroom. characters who were hugged by child running a fever ahead of you. people sneezing and that spreading on chains and lap bars. most times you are not going to have time to wipe them before child enters ride. we had a grandson who reacted to peanuts while in line for a ride, no where near time we ate, so yes things can happen

I read an article recently that said your iphone is dirtier than a toilet seat!! And people have their faces and fingers stuck to them all day long, lol!

The article also mentioned that the paper covers do nothing...the paper is too porous to keep any germ or microbe. They are mostly psychological for people who "believe" they offer some form of hygiene.

I read an article recently that said your iphone is dirtier than a toilet seat!! And people have their faces and fingers stuck to them all day long, lol!

The article also mentioned that the paper covers do nothing...the paper is too porous to keep any germ or microbe. They are mostly psychological for people who "believe" they offer some form of hygiene.

The articles I've read about the covers weren't that they don't block germs, but that you aren't likely to catch anything from sitting on a toilet because your skin protects you so they are useless in that respect. But for a person with anxiety about germs and public bathrooms it isn't necessarily a concern about getting sick so much as the ick factor of potentially touching something that has feces, urine, etc. on it.

By definition a germaphobe needs help with the psychological aspect mainly so if they offer assistance in that respect, they are well worth it.

As for phones, the average germaphobe is aware of these studies too and we probably take a lot more precaution about that as well. At least I know that I do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter