Genie Plus question

momtotwolittleones

Mouseketeer
I am confused about the only one of each attraction per day - am I reading this correctly? So if we use our Genie+ to go on Space Mountain (is it Hyperspace now?), for example, at 10am, we can't use our Genie+ to ride it again later that day once we have another window open? Last I was there it was Fast Pass, and you could get one for any ride whenever your 2 hrs was up. Just want to make sure I understand that this is different? (Which kind of sucks if that's the case!)

Yes, with Genie+ you can get a LL for an attraction only once per day. So if you got a LL at 10am for Space Mountain, you could not get a second L later that afternoon for Space Mountain.

I agree it is step back compared to what was offered with MaxPass.

You are correct. The way around this is to rope drop the rides you would probably want to do more than once. Our oldest loves Space Mountain. We roped dropped it and then she was able to ride it again later with the Genie+ Lightning Lane selection. On the week we went earlier this month, you could ride most of the Genie+ attractions with low standby waits until around 10am. Indiana Jones, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Millenium Falcon Smuggler's Run, Star Tours, Buzz, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Matterhorn are all fairly low waits (under 20 minutes) most mornings when we were there. We rode Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Big Thunder, MFSR, Star Tours, and Matterhorn twice in one day. Once standy, later on with Genie+ LL.

California Adventure is similar. We rode Incredicoaster 3 times at rope drop, all standby. Rode it later in the day with Genie+ LL.

You are correct. The way around this is to rope drop the rides you would probably want to do more than once. Our oldest loves Space Mountain. We roped dropped it and then she was able to ride it again later with the Genie+ Lightning Lane selection. On the week we went earlier this month, you could ride most of the Genie+ attractions with low standby waits until around 10am. Indiana Jones, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Millenium Falcon Smuggler's Run, Star Tours, Buzz, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Matterhorn are all fairly low waits (under 20 minutes) most mornings when we were there. We rode Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Big Thunder, MFSR, Star Tours, and Matterhorn twice in one day. Once standy, later on with Genie+ LL.

California Adventure is similar. We rode Incredicoaster 3 times at rope drop, all standby. Rode it later in the day with Genie+ LL.

While you're doing these rides early in the morning, have you already set up Genie+ LL for a ride after 10:00 am? Just confused by when you should start making your choices because I don't want to waste Genie+ LL on a ride with low waits, but I also don't want to miss out being able to use a Genie+ after 10:00 am because all the morning times are gone.

Is it true the times fill up fast?

While you're doing these rides early in the morning, have you already set up Genie+ LL for a ride after 10:00 am? Just confused by when you should start making your choices because I don't want to waste Genie+ LL on a ride with low waits, but I also don't want to miss out being able to use a Genie+ after 10:00 am because all the morning times are gone.

So the first day, we started in Tomorrowland so we didn't Genie+ any of those. We then went to Fantasyland which has no Genie+ options. We started booking LL for around 10am. Indy Jones first which went down and converted into a Multipass. We then booked Big Thunder, redeemed it, and then booked Haunted Mansion.

Last day, the kids went off using the strategy above and rode everything they wanted at least twice before they met us for lunch at 1pm.

We found the times only filled up fast on certain attractions and a lot of times if an attraction went down like Space Mountain or Indy in the morning. We started booking around 9-9:30 for ones we'd go back for after 10am. A lot of times, the booking window to redemption window was only 5 minutes away for a lot of the rides. That's how you know the ride isn't that busy. Indiana Jones and Space Mountain went the fastest as each was about an hour out for getting a reservation. Matterhorn went down a lot so it would book up faster. The reservations start going fast in the afternoon. So I would book one for our return time later that evening.

Now another thing you can do is watch for a ride to go down and see if you can book it with a LL. Then if the ride does not come up when your redemption window opens, it then converts to a Multipass LL which can be used on most rides at any time minus Rise, Peter Pan, and the CA ILL rides. There's a thread on here about fishing for Multipass rides if you're interested. You can always cancel the LL before the redemption window starts.

Depending on the popularity of the ride (and probably among many other things) the return time for the LL will change. If it's popular the return time could be now to an hour out, however a popular ride might have a return time of like 2 hours. So you just have to keep your eye on the tip board and try and get your LL for when you want it (i.e. if you want to ride Indy at 11am but the return time is 10am, just wait 30 mins or so and check again and then it might be up to 11am.). The only problem with doing it this way is if you book a LL for like Haunted House for 10am thinking you can book Indy later for like 11am, but then before you are able to book another LL, the Indy time for 11am shoots up to 12am and you miss it. So you either have to miss it, or cancel your HH LL to book the Indy one.

You are correct. The way around this is to rope drop the rides you would probably want to do more than once.
Actually IMO, the way around this is to follow DLRExpert's thread on fishing for LL / MEP (Multipass experience passes). Search the forum for it. Doing this can gain you potentially multiple LL that you can use at anytime and for most rides (depending on which one you get). While I was there I got at least 3 each day. Just make sure you are there at rope drop so you can fish for a few hours and not worry about actually booking any LLs and just do standby. Trying to fish later in the day typically won't work because you'll likely be using your LLs and won't be able to fish.

I think the times will go faster during the summer with more people (and Hyperspace Mountain is more popular than the regular version), but when we were there in April, we booked a Matterhorn LL at 9:40am for a 10:20am return time, and then when we used that around 10:30am we were still able to get a Space Mountain return time for noon. Just an example, and I recommend keeping an eye on the times to make sure they fit with your plans (and refresh the tip board to see if something changes).

If you have parkhopper tickets, you can book a LL for the other park first thing and then just ride standby in your starting park until 2 hours later.

We were also able to get MEPs (Indy, Big Thunder, and Grizzly went down at various parts of the day) to let us ride Guardians, Space Mountain, and Big Thunder at the end of the night even though we'd already used our regular LLs for them.

I have a question. Are there multiple times to choose from when you try to get an ILL? We will be out of the parks from 1:00 to 5:00 so like a 2pm wouldn't work for us.

You only get whatever time is next available. You do not get a range of times to choose from. You will have to keep checking for your time. If you want something before noon, you'll just have to keep checking early in the morning after you scan into the parks.

I have a question. Are there multiple times to choose from when you try to get an ILL? We will be out of the parks from 1:00 to 5:00 so like a 2pm wouldn't work for us.

No, it gives you the next slot (unless you’re in the other park, when it converts to the next slot after 1pm, when park hopping is allowed). You just have to wait and keep checking for the times to advance to the window you want.

I am confused about the only one of each attraction per day - am I reading this correctly? So if we use our Genie+ to go on Space Mountain (is it Hyperspace now?), for example, at 10am, we can't use our Genie+ to ride it again later that day once we have another window open? Last I was there it was Fast Pass, and you could get one for any ride whenever your 2 hrs was up. Just want to make sure I understand that this is different? (Which kind of sucks if that's the case!)
This is generally true. However, it is my understanding that there is one exception. If you have a LL reservation for an attraction that breaks down, I thought you will be given a compensatory pass that you can use at any other LL. I may be confused about this attraction breakdown works, but that's how I have understood the ability for folks to use a LL pass for attractions that have been closed. This is, I will admit, a very narrow exception and whether it applies to your park visit is unknown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter