Gaylord Palms

Iowa

Earning My Ears
Has anyone stayed at the Gaylord Palms resort? I will be traveling to Orlando in May on business. I have at least one free day and was wondering if anyone had used this resorts shuttle to WDW? If so, is it an efficient choice or should I plan on using a taxi?

it stops at other hotels as well as delivers to other parks. Taxi might cost $15...but I'll bet you can split that fare with 2-3 other people wantin to get out of the drooling bus line wait. P.S. : definitely eat @ the Gaylord's Mediterrenian buffet

If you have only one free day, then call a cab. Don't waste time with the shuttles. And check out the alligators on the first floor of the Gaylord.

You may actually want to check into car rental rates for your trip. There is a daily parking fee at GP, HOWEVER.............

Food at GP is very expensive (our software company goes to a Gaylord Property for conference every year - same at each location $$$). If you do not get served supper by the conference sponsor, those meals can be very pricey. Best example - we ate at Gaylord Texan - supper for 2 of us with 1 drink each was $100 with tip. At GP we drove offsite & ate at Earl of Sandwich at DTD for under $20. That $80 paid over half of our rental fee.

Factor in shuttle cost to & from the hotel. That took care of the rest of the rental for us.

We ate off-site 3 other meals I believe which MORE than paid for double or so of the parking fee. Our employer actually came out WAY ahead by us renting a vehicle when you factored everything into the equation.

If not, if you can work the shuttle for getting to a park, you can always taxi back from whatever place you end up at your own convenience - then you are only paying for one direction.

And there's always the 'tacky' method. You could take a bus back to the closest Disney resort (???POP or All Stars??? - it's one of the values) & then take a taxi from there LOL!!!

1) The Gaylord Palms is a huge conference resort.
2) Although very big, it is also quite nice.
3) We eat at the Gaylord Buffet 3-4 times per year.
. . . twice per month we eat out at the local hotels
. . . the Gaylord has a superior buffet, especially on holidays
. . . we usually do it for Mother's Day, Christmas Day, Valentines Day, Easter
4) As for Disney
. . . the taxi is by far the best way to get to/from Disney
. . . there are taxis available at the hotel and Disney, so no problems
. . . the shuttle is very time-restricting, so I would not select it

Thanks for the advice...sounds like a taxi is the way to go....

Anyone been to the spa at the resort?

Has anyone stayed at the Gaylord Palms resort? I will be traveling to Orlando in May on business. I have at least one free day and was wondering if anyone had used this resorts shuttle to WDW? If so, is it an efficient choice or should I plan on using a taxi?

HI
My DH has a conference there in May. I thought I would go shopping at DTD while he was at his meeting, and would take a shuttle. But I think taking a taxi might be the way to go.

The taxi to DTD shouldn't run too much. Three of the girls at our conference took one to the outlet mall (which is about 1.5 miles north of DTD) & they said it ran about $12 one way for the 3 of them. (We gave them a ride back).

Since the Gaylord Palms is off-property, I'm going to move this to the Orlando Hotels and Attractions board. :)

I stayed at GP aka The Biodome in 12/2009 for work, and took their shuttle one evening and thought it was fine. I think it went to the TTC and I hopped on the monorail to Epcot. Coming back it was a bus direct from the Epcot lot back to the hotel.

I obviously did not have a car on that trip and I have to say I felt trapped as far as eating in their WAY overpriced restaurants. The place is completely isolated meaning nothing within walking distance. i think its outrageous that they charge to park, and felt totally ripped off staying there, even tho my company paid.

Sorry, unexpected rant there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!