Gay friendly?

Quinn222

DIS Veteran
My friends are taking their seven year old son to WDW. They are a gay couple (2 men, been together for years) and are wondering which hotel might be the most gay friendly? They are mostly concerned that their child not be the target of any unkind comments.

I told them that I had never seen any of that kind of thing there but not being in their shoes I probably wouldn't. Any opinions? Anyone with experience in this area?

I suggest that you and/or your friends post the question on the Gay and Lesbian thread a little farther down on the main Disboards page. You'll probably get some good feedback there!

Bob

I have never heard ugly comments involving sexual orientation directed at anyone on our trips. I cannot imagine someone would there of all places because they are so wrapped up in their own experience. Good Luck!!!

i really doubt that disney cast members would do that, especially since i hear half of them are gay

My partner and I were in WDW in 2006 with our 2 girls. We didn't experience any problems at the resort, in the parks, or even off Disney property (we visited SeaWorld too). That said, we aren't exactly touchy feely in public (no kissing or hand holding), not that there's anything wrong with that, we just don't tend to do that stuff. (Mostly we're running in 2 directions chasing the kids around!) Unfortunately, there's always the chance of some ignorant person making a comment, but that's something they and their child are going to have to deal with eventually no matter where they go. In any case, I don't think your friends will have a problem. ;)

There most likely will be no issue, but I have had a few encounters so to speak that would have necessitated an explanation to a child.

There was the very loud man accompanied by a teen, on a WDW bus who kept saying over and over Ellen Degenerate... and how he couldn't believe Disney allowed that... We weren't the only ones sick of him.

There was the time where my DP and I were walking in front a small group of men in their 20's. They kept expounding on how lesbians were so mean, and what made them all man haters, blah blah blah.

No major issues, but again, if we'd had a child with us we would have had to do some explaining about ignorance and intolerance in the world.

I've had a couple of incidents where people were walking around wearing cruel, discriminatory shirts that they had clearly made specifically for their trip (i.e. the whole family, including children, were wearing them).

Whether or not a 7-yr-old would notice probably depends on the child.

I've had a couple of incidents where people were walking around wearing cruel, discriminatory shirts that they had clearly made specifically for their trip (i.e. the whole family, including children, were wearing them).

I think that it's so sad that there are such ignorant, hateful people in this world! :sad2:

If you want a non-homosexual's point of view.... I'm too busy having fun at the most wonderful, magical place on earth to worry about other's family dynamics. If someone does care, well that's just dumb. They spent all that $$$$ to worry about what other people are doing. As for me and my family... you'll find us headed for the tea cups. :laughing:

I can reply as a a straight male. Disney is open to everybody regardless of their sexual orientation. Unfortunately, that means that it is also open to the rude, pushy, intolerant, and just downright mean as well.

You shouldn't encounter any negative vibes from the CMs. Yes, it's true that there are a fair amount of gay CMs, but Disney isn't about sexual orientation...it's about fun and magic and Pixie Dust.

I get comments from people all the time on the outside when "Gay Day" approaches. People say rude things and joke about watching my behind. I tell them I'd rather work on Gay Day than Night of Joy. The guests are much better behaved and friendlier. That usually shuts up the ones who have a "religious" objection.

I've never posted in this forum before, but feel free to ask me any questions as I am a CM.

I am also a CM, although I'm currently a recruiter for the college program. I worked on the college program for 9 months and I came out at Disney. I can assure you a cast member would never make a negative comment. As far as dealing with other people, let me tell you this story:

I'm taking my boyfriend to WDW for the first time. We live in a relatively conservative area. We hardly touch eachother in public, although we have gotten a little more relaxed in the last year. However, when we go to Disney all bets are off. Am I going to be making out in the park? No. Will I hold hands? Absolutely. I'm a mobile DJ and I'm not afraid of talking in front of large numbers of people. Am I going to make a huge scene about two people loving eachother, get down on one knee, and give him a ring in main street square on December 23rd? YOU BET. Why? because there is nowhere in the world more accepting of the LGBT community than WDW and Disney as a company.

It is possible that a snide comment could be made. As far as which resort to choose, I would say choose a family one. All Stars or Pop Century would be a good pick. You'll fit in with others even if you think you're going to stick out. If you look at Pop Century vs the Grand Floridian, where do you think you'll stick out more? I might be stereotyping a little bit, but Grand Floridian=money=republicans=conservative=don't like gays, especially ones with children. Again, not saying thats always the case, but it's my opinion based on experience.

congrats to you and your partner for taking on the challenge of children in a society that doesn't approve. I say with complete certainty that there is no better place to go to relax as a gay couple with children than WDW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter