Garden Grocer or rely on Speedway?

Tony

Mouseketeer
I was looking at placing a garden grocer order for some essentials - cereal, some snacks, sun cream, drinks etc. Not really looking to cook full meals in the villa (boardwalk). The GG prices seem very high to the extent I’m thinking we’ll be better off relying on a trip to speedway and picking up things like milk from the store in the property.

I guess what I don’t know is the pricing in Speedway. Any thoughts if this is a viable strategy?
Thanks

I was looking at placing a garden grocer order for some essentials - cereal, some snacks, sun cream, drinks etc. Not really looking to cook full meals in the villa (boardwalk). The GG prices seem very high to the extent I’m thinking we’ll be better off relying on a trip to speedway and picking up things like milk from the store in the property.

I guess what I don’t know is the pricing in Speedway. Any thoughts if this is a viable strategy?
Thanks
For just the two of us, just wanting limited items for breakfast in our villa, we don’t mind spending the premium at the resort store. I can’t tell you the dollar amount that we pay for the convenience. We’ve never shopped at Speedway since the Screen Door has what we need.

I used Walmart the last time -pricing was very good and they delivered right to my door, right on time.

For just the two of us, just wanting limited items for breakfast in our villa, we don’t mind spending the premium at the resort store. I can’t tell you the dollar amount that we pay for the convenience. We’ve never shopped at Speedway since the Screen Door has what we need.
The place that the resort stores get you is bottled water (I can’t stand FL tap water). They used to sell the small 8 packs but that went away a few months ago. Everything else we don’t mind paying the resort store premium. We lucked out on our last trip by finding 36 bottles of water in the stairwell at BWV :-)

The place that the resort stores get you is bottled water (I can’t stand FL tap water). They used to sell the small 8 packs but that went away a few months ago. Everything else we don’t mind paying the resort store premium. We lucked out on our last trip by finding 36 bottles of water in the stairwell at BWV :-)

This is the first time that I have heard someone say that the resort gift shops no longer sell the small 8-packs of water. Most people post that they are often in the back storage area rather than on the shelf, and you have to ask a cast member to get them for you. I am not speaking from experience, since I always take a town car from the airport and do a grocery stop.

OP, about a decade ago most people who wanted to have groceries delivered to the hotel either used Garden Grocer or a personal shopping service which shall not be named because it allegedly had a practice of double billing people. Nowadays, there are other options for having groceries delivered to your hotel. PP mentioned Walmart. I believe Publix will deliver via Instacart. Amazon also will deliver, but they keep changing the name of the service and I haven't stayed on top of it; you have to make sure you are looking at delivery rather than shipping. If you have a Shipt membership, I think they also deliver. I have heard of Dizzy Dolphin which delivers. I'm sure I'm leaving something out. My point is, it's not just Garden Grocer anymore.

Here is a thread from September:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/grocery-delivery-options.3851735/

This is the first time that I have heard someone say that the resort gift shops no longer sell the small 8-packs of water. Most people post that they are often in the back storage area rather than on the shelf, and you have to ask a cast member to get them for you. I am not speaking from experience, since I always take a town car from the airport and do a grocery stop.
They stopped selling them sometime between July and Labor Day in 2021.

Will WalMart leave at bell services, or do I need to be there?

thanks

They're supposed to leave at Bell Services. But the person delivering to us(Saratoga Springs) brought it right to our room. So I tipped them extra that would have went to Bell Services since it saved me time and hassle. This was same day service as well(which I think was a minimal amount extra but well worth it).

Having been raised on New Orleans Mississippi River water, WDW tap water doesn’t bother me one bit! :p

We stopped using Garden Grocer a few years ago due to the high prices. We now only use instacart and they will leave at bell service's unless you ordered alcohol then you need to meet them.

Thanks all - I'm UK based to add another layer of complexity, but have downloaded the Publix/Instacart app and that looks a bit more sensible in terms of some of the prices.

Not sure about regular grocery items at Speedway, but I know the wine and beer is a lot cheaper there than on property. In the mornings they also have breakfast sandwiches....I have stocked up on a few to reheat in the microwave. The only items we’ve seen at a somewhat reasonable price at the store at BWV is milk and maybe eggs? But that was pre-closure so who knows.
If you walk over to speedway, bring your rolling suitcase and use extreme caution when crossing the road. It’s very busy there...people pulling in to the Boardwalk, people leaving the speedway, people not paying attention. Look both ways and do it often.

Speedway doesn’t have a very big selection, from what I can recall. They have milk, and some condiments, ramen noodles and things like canned ravioli, etc., and soda, water, beer and wine.
with the DVC discount, eggs and Bread are ok priced at the screen door. Or you could walk over to the BC marketplace, as well.
I always end up buying too much from the grocery store, and leave a lot behind.
You could always pack a box of cereal and some snacks in your suitcase.

Last edited:
I bought 1/2 gallon milk twice at Screen Door, and both times it tasted and smelled bad. I don't get milk there anymore. If you want V-8, which I really like, you can only get that at Beach Club Marketplace store. When I was at WDW in Sept, resort stores did not have eggs. They said supply issue, could not get them, hadn't had them for weeks, etc. The supply issues may be over when you get there.
I have never walked over to Speedway to see the prices. I pack bacon, cheese sticks, and cookies, and get the few other things I want at resort stores. I pack a microwave omelet maker, and get eggs at resort store, and have eggs and bacon for a protein rich breakfast that lasts until mid afternoon.

Pack your sunscreen & snacks & cereal.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter