Gallbladder attack

mom+3girls

DIS Veteran
I went to the ER Monday morning early, had a sonogram this morning schedule to see a surgeon on Thursday.

Does anyone know what the recovery time usually is for this surgery?
I am really scared, never been through anything like this, I am single mom and worry about my kids, missing work and the loss of income.

thanks

Great advances have been made for this procedure. The recovery and surgery itself has been greatly lessened since it being performed laparoscopically. It used to be a 5-7" incision where now its done through a few small openings in the abdomen. There are still some cases that do not qualify for laparoscopic removal, so you will have to discuss this with your surgeon. I think (not sure) its an overnight stay now and I recall hearing some go home same day! It is a very common surgery. Think of all the questions you want to ask your surgeon and write them down so you wont forget when you get in there.

Walking is encouraged after returning home. most can return to normal light activities after a weeks time. Based on laparoscopic surgery.
Surgery is scary but try not to worry this is a common procedure and you will feel so much better afterwards. I hope your appointment on Thursday goes well! Let us know. :hug:

I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically, this is going back like 7 years, in the first stages of doing this procedure.....I think I stayed overnight if I remember correctly and came home the next day, late afternoon....I had staples where the incisions were and will say that although the surgery is not as bad as the original one with the big incision, I was quite uncomfortable at home for a good week, each day getting less and less. No matter what they say it is still abdominal surgery that they do with the laparoscope, they cut through whatever there is to get to the gallbladder and take it out in pieces...so you are uncomfortable after the surgery for a good week in varying degrees of discomfort...

Hope it goes well for you.....and that you are a candidate for the lesser procedure..

I had laparoscopic surgery. In and out the same day for me and I was back to work within a week. I was up and around and doing pretty well within just a couple of days. It's gotten MUCH better than it used to be. :grouphug:

I saw the surgeon yesterday, surgery is scheduled for Dec 6th.

He said I should be able to return to desk (light duty) work on the following Monday. :banana:

My friend Laurel (she just had the surgery 2 mo. ago) told me to tell you not to push yourself for a few weeks. Let you kids help out around the house as much as possible. She was back at work within a few days, but says that it takes a little while to get your energy back. Other than that it is not too bad.

I was glad someone like Shugar was able to give you a more precise up to date reaction to this surgery.....You will know how you feel and will guage your activity accordingly....and good luck with surgery... I got Dec 6 on the brain and will be sending positive energy your way.....

In the meantime, watch what you eat (like I have to say that to you) and no more attacks......those attacks hurt way too much....and of course, PMA....Hugs!!!!!

Watching what you eat until the surgery will help a ton in you not having another attack. I had my surgery going on 11 years ago - mine was the first laproscopic surgery in my town. I had to wait three weeks while the Dr. finished his training. At first I didn't understand how the intake of fat was the cause of the attacks. After a night in the ER and two demoral shots I learned that to eat under 5 grams of fat per day. After that I didn't have any more attacks - which was great.

shellybaxter said:
Watching what you eat until the surgery will help a ton in you not having another attack. I had my surgery going on 11 years ago - mine was the first laproscopic surgery in my town. I had to wait three weeks while the Dr. finished his training. At first I didn't understand how the intake of fat was the cause of the attacks. After a night in the ER and two demoral shots I learned that to eat under 5 grams of fat per day. After that I didn't have any more attacks - which was great.

OH MY!!!!!!!! You are one brave soul.

I am limiting the fat intake but I tell you this is hard, I hope a positive out come will be a few pounds lost as well as no pain.

I am also dreading Thanksgiving day. I can't figure out what to eat, I know turkey breast. But can I have the dressing? Mashed potatoes?
Any body got any ideas on that?

Mackey Mouse said:
I was glad someone like Shugar was able to give you a more precise up to date reaction to this surgery.....You will know how you feel and will guage your activity accordingly....and good luck with surgery... I got Dec 6 on the brain and will be sending positive energy your way.....

In the meantime, watch what you eat (like I have to say that to you) and no more attacks......those attacks hurt way too much....and of course, PMA....Hugs!!!!!

Thanks so much.

I had mine out yesterday. I came home the same day. no stitches, just that tape. I also had an umbilical hernia fixed too, didn't know that women got those, but i had one. Anyway, the hernia hurts more than the gallbladder. I haven't needed more than tylenol though. the gallbladder attacks were so horrible. I had a couple of them and ended up in the ER.

luvsmickeymouse said:
I had mine out yesterday. I came home the same day. no stitches, just that tape. I also had an umbilical hernia fixed too, didn't know that women got those, but i had one. Anyway, the hernia hurts more than the gallbladder. I haven't needed more than tylenol though. the gallbladder attacks were so horrible. I had a couple of them and ended up in the ER.

thank you so much for posting.
Last weekend I had an allergic reaction to the pain meds they gave me in the ER, so now I am afraid of taking any meds. So I am glad to hear that you haven't needed anything more than tylenol.

mom+3girls said:
thank you so much for posting.
Last weekend I had an allergic reaction to the pain meds they gave me in the ER, so now I am afraid of taking any meds. So I am glad to hear that you haven't needed anything more than tylenol.

You will be very happy to have yours out. The gallbladder attacks are so bad as you know. I had mine done on Wed. and I go back to work on Monday. I drive a school bus and school has been closed anyway. I too am a single parent so I had to plan around a school vacation. I feel great today. Even the hernia pain is almost gone. I have no pain at all from the gallbladder part of the surgery. It has been a very easy recovery. I didn't even get the prescription filled. I haven't even taken tylenol today.

Most of you all are on the other gallbladder thread but I just thought I would say that I had my surgery and everything went well.
I feel good I am just swollen and sore.

mom+3girls said:
Most of you all are on the other gallbladder thread but I just thought I would say that I had my surgery and everything went well.
I feel good I am just swollen and sore.

glad to hear everything went good. Hope for a speedy recovery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter