GAC...yes or no?

phorsenuf

Not so New Rule author
On my July trip I plan to use a wheelchair since I thought I was going to die on the April trip! My problem isn't so much of walking as it is of standing! I have bad back problems and nerve damage in my leg. If I walk slow (think mallshopping) or stand longer than 10 minutes the pain is horrible!! I am considered disabled because of these conditions. I figure if I have a wheelchair it would help. Transferring to rides won't be a problem. Again, it is the standing part. I could actually get away without needing a wheelchair if it wasn't for that.
So, after all that rambling, my question is, could I get a GAC that states I have a problem standing? We plan to utilize Fasspass but I'm afraid we won't be able to get them always. What should I do? Can you get GAC without using a wheelchair? What different types are there? Should I ask for anything specific? I'm also sun sensitive. What would you suggest? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do.
Thanks!!

If you have problems other than with mobility/standing then a GAC would be helpful for you. The w/c, ECV takes care of getting in the right line and if need be to a different entrance but does not authorize a different waiting area. So if the line is in the sun and your GAC states you may wait in the shade you would show the GAC to the first CM at the attraction and the CM would direct you to a waiting area. The GAC is generally for the medically fragile, or those with less than obvious needs. Such as a child with emotional issues that can not wait in in crowded line. Fast pass is always recommended to avoid long waits and you might be advised to use it instead if the GAC.
Have a good trip.

You may be better off renting an ECV, as pushing a wheelchair can get very tiresome, especially if you are not used to it. Also it depends on the weight of the passenger and the condition of the pusher(s). Some information for off-site rentals are:

Here are the urls and phone numbers:

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

I have used Walker a few times. They will ask for a credit card and charge it the day before arrival. They will deliver the ECV to your hotel bell services before your arrival and pick it up there after your departure. Their rates, especially for longer than a week, are much better than Disney's. Also, their scooters are much better.

You don't say if you are renting a car or what. If you are using a car for getting around, the ECVs break down into five pieces, the heaviest about 39 pounds. They take about a minute or so to take apart and about two minutes (once you are used to it) to put it together.

Another suggestion is find out your state's requirements for a temporary disabled hang tag and get the paper work and have your doctor sign off on it. The tag will allow you to use any of the handicap parking areas (which will be a necessity). Also, with the policy of charging for valet parking, with a handicap hang tag the fees will be waived. Also the valets will usually volunteer to assist in loading/unloading an ECV. In Virginia I printed the required form from the DMV website. When I took the completed form to the DMV Office it took less than 15 minutes from the time I walked in until I had my tag.

I posted this yesterday, but then there was a problem with the boards, so here goes again:
Welcome to disABILITIES.
For anyone who doesn't know, a GAC is a Guest Assistance Card, which is just a way to let CMs know what sort of assistance someone needs if they have an invsible disability. Someone who uses a wheelchair or ecv and doesn't have any needs other than mobility, does not need to request a GAC. Just having a wheelchair or ecv allows use of the accessible entrances.
To request a GAC, you go to Guest Services in any of the parks and explain your problems to the CM (the way you have explained your problem sounds just fine). The basic GAC card has general information and does say that you are expected to use FastPass as much as possible. It also states that the GAC is not meant to (and often won't) shorten the wait in line, but to provide a more appropriate environment to wait. There are stamps (or computer printed) comments that can be added to the basic card.
Examples of some of the comments would be to: allow use of the wheelchair entrances for someone without a wheelchair; allow a wait out of the sun when the queue is in the sun for a prolonged period of time (how long "prolonged" is, is not defined); allow a stroller to be used as a wheelchair. A very small number of GACs allow use of the fastpass entrance. The stamp that is put on the card varies with the needs of the person receiving the GAC. The card is valid at all the parks for the length of your trip and is given for the number of members in your party (usually 5 people or less plus the person with a disability).
Even if you use a GAC or fastpass, you are still going to encounter some of the "slow mall shopping" situations. Fastpass is designed to give a wait of 15 minutes or less, so even with that, you may be standing for 15 minutes. Most of the lines are constantly moving forward; whether it is a fast pace or a snail walk depends on how fast the ride loads. Also, for the shows, most of them have a "standing theater" type arrangement for the pre-show (It's basically a way to gather enough people for one show together in a spot and then direct them into the show all at once). You might be standing in the preshow area for a few minutes before the prshow. The preshows themselves are 2-5 minutes (my best estimate). Some of the preshows (like Universe of Energy) or waiting areas (like Hall of Presidents and American Adventure) have a few seats available, but they are up for grabs to whoever gets there first. Because the lines are sort of constantly moving, there are no sitting places once you enter the lines (an exception is ITTBAB, which is a long, long queue that winds around the Tree of Life and does have a few benches in areas).
So anyway, my personal suggestion is a wheelchair or ecv because even with a GAC, you will not be able to avoid all the standing/slow walking.

Originally posted by Cheshire Figment

Another suggestion is find out your state's requirements for a temporary disabled hang tag and get the paper work and have your doctor sign off on it. The tag will allow you to use any of the handicap parking areas (which will be a necessity). Also, with the policy of charging for valet parking, with a handicap hang tag the fees will be waived. Also the valets will usually volunteer to assist in loading/unloading an ECV. In Virginia I printed the required form from the DMV website. When I took the completed form to the DMV Office it took less than 15 minutes from the time I walked in until I had my tag.

I have a premanent one from our state that goes everywhere with us! Some days I use it, other days when I feel good I don't. I do have to say I don't like the setup anymore at MK. LOL
We did the mass exodus thing in April and having to stand in that crazy crowd of monorail people was a killer! It just seems to me the Handicap spots should be at the main gate and not the TTC. Just my opinion. :D
Also, I'm hesitant to rent an EVC for the whole trip because I may not need it everyday. I thought I would try the wheelchair the first day and if it was too much for us then I will make other arrangements. We did WDW one year with my DH in a wheelchair and I was the main pusher and I don't remember it being to hard. My boys are also older so everyone can take turns pushing mom around! LOL
I figure I'll just take it a day at a time. Since we were just there in April we don't need to go commando style. We figure a few hours in the morning, back to the hotel and rest and back later in the afternoon/evening. Also, we will be there for 10 days so we have lots of time.
Thanks for those numbers...I will bring them with me!
I think I will stop and get a GAC just so I will have one in case things get bad or the heat really bothers me. Thanks for all the help!!

It sounds as if we have similar problems. I was at WDW from 26 May til 3 June.

I have degenerative disc disease. I had my spine fused a year ago, but unfortunately the nerve damage in my right leg was permanent.

I have the same limitations (i.e. walking and standing) and did not have an ECV or wheelchair. I will use one on our next trip! I did get a GAC (in case) and never used it.

Please seriously consider renting the ECV. I had to take a break each day, return to resort, and lie down for 1-2 hours.

Too much walking and standing for spinal problems!

Originally posted by LindaR

I have degenerative disc disease. I had my spine fused a year ago, but unfortunately the nerve damage in my right leg was permanent.

Yep, that's part of my problem only no fusion. Sure is painful tho, huh!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter