FW cabin without car?

Lmans77

Mouseketeer
We are taking a 5 night trip in August. Travel party is 2 adults and 3 kids, ages 2, 12 and 14.

Have currently booked a FW cabin. We are flying and don’t plan on renting a car. Wondering if this is our best option.

Other options: POR with 5th sleeper - about $75 less a night

All star music family suite $20 less a night

Pop - we would be very cramped ~$150 less a night

Trying to get best bang for our buck with space needs, transportation needs and of course budget needs. We are not new to Disney but having a toddler in the mix is pretty new. Daddy and toddler will probably do less time at the parks while Mom and big kids stay longer.

We would do offsite but really want to make sure we get Guardians of the Galaxy.

Fort Wilderness (and the cabins) are great but keep in mind without a golf cart you're going to be walking to/waiting on that internal bus loop quite a bit on top of other transportation and that may be slightly miserable with the August heat.

We are taking a 5 night trip in August. Travel party is 2 adults and 3 kids, ages 2, 12 and 14.

Have currently booked a FW cabin. We are flying and don’t plan on renting a car. Wondering if this is our best option.

Trying to get best bang for our buck with space needs, transportation needs and of course budget needs. We are not new to Disney but having a toddler in the mix is pretty new. Daddy and toddler will probably do less time at the parks while Mom and big kids stay longer.

We would do offsite but really want to make sure we get Guardians of the Galaxy.
I would switch to the ASMu family suite. Two baths. A kitchenette. Easier transportation. As much as I love the rustic feel of FW and the cabins (and dislike the Value Resorts in general), I think that ASMu will be a better fit for your needs. Especially if you're splitting up so that the toddler can rest back at the room. Ease of transportation is going to be important.

Last edited:
We stayed in a cabin for just one night and thought never again without a car. I really don’t like resorts with the internal busses, everything just takes forever.

We did Uber back at night and the driver brought us directly to our cabin which was great so if that’s in the budget I’d say go for it, or you can rent a golf cart.

We stayed in an ASMu family suite in April and were very pleased. The suites are comfy and the space is great. We didn’t have any transportation issues. Our situation (as in, group size and ages) was different... but it could be a great fit for you too. If you "research" ASMu, make sure you are looking at updated information. The suites (all rooms, actually) finished a major upgrade around the time of the covid reopening. Below are my post-trip posts in the ASMu thread.....

Post in thread 'Disney's ALL-STAR MUSIC RESORT Information & Questions' https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...t-information-questions.3042913/post-63922538

Post in thread 'Disney's ALL-STAR MUSIC RESORT Information & Questions' https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...t-information-questions.3042913/post-63922804

Last edited:
I would switch to the ASMu family suite. Two baths. A kitchenette. Easier transportation. As much as I love the rustic feel of FW and the cabins (and dislike the Value Resorts in general), I think that ASMu will be a better fit for your needs. Especially if you're splitting up so that the toddler can rest back at the room. Ease of transportation is going to be important.
100% agree with this!

We stayed in Cabins with 3 kids, one fairly young. The whole transportation system is draining work, especially if you are dragging a stroller and kids. Half the time we had to stand on bus. Walk from cabin to end of loop, bus to wherever you go including switching bus or boat to get to the next place. We ended up driving to all the parks and gave up on enjoying the campground. Fortunately January so we passed on the hassle of going to the pools. If you have no car you will spend LOTS of time on transportation. The plus is privacy and a kitchen, but if I NEEDED that I'd be at a DVC or offsite villa.

ASMu suites are newly renovated and they did a great job. Your husband will be steps from food court, pools and can even wander to other two AllStars if he wants. You'll be an easy bus ride to all the parks and Disney Springs. Your bigger kids will have nice sized REAL beds instead of cramming on the small bunk or a sofabed fold out. The kitchenettes are upgraded.

Last edited:

I wouldn't stay at Fort Wilderness without a car or a golf cart. I don't think you need both, but you need one or the other.

We have stayed at both the cabins and art of animation suite. i never wanted to stay at the cabins as you can do similar all over but we finally did it and we loved it there. but we had a car. unless i had a very long vacation planned i would not do it without a car. art of animation was fun. the room decor seemed really cheap. It may have been higher quality but it did not look like it to me. The space was great and two bathrooms were handy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter