Future of Pop Century

We stayed there in Sept and could see the buildings from the Classic Years section. Have they been torn down??

We stayed there in Sept and could see the buildings from the Classic Years section. Have they been torn down??

If you pan around the map you can see it looks like there are two separate hotel buildings and one food court building. It can't be good to be just sitting empty this whole time though.

Notice this aerial photo courtesy of "Live Search":

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...t=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=5221607&encType=1

It looks like the outlines for similar buildings were done on the Classic Years side. It even looks like they have their own Food Court building. Is that as far as they got?

Yup, that's as far as they got before they halted construction.

The foundations were laid for all of the Guest buildings, the parking lots were paved; Legendary Hall and two Guest buildings were partially completed. There do not appear to have been any holes dug for the swimming pools. Then they stopped.

Since construction has been halted now for more than 6 years, it's been speculated that some of the buildings that have been constructed might even need to be partially or wholly demolished before the resort can be completed.

Another rumor had it that the Legendary Years might be completed completely as family suites, like those at All-Star Music; personally, I find that highly unlikely, but I would bet that at least a few family suites would be built there.

When was that picture taken?

It looks like they demolished the buildings but I would think that something like that would have been discussed, if not filmed.

The outlines you see from the aerial photos are the 'pads' .. the concrete placements where the buildings would be built..

There are two pods of three wings .. 'built'.. and then the main hall building was completed before construction stopped about 6 or 7 years ago. (right after 9-11)

Rumors abound that construction will start again.. the latest I have heard is that something will be done starting in late 2008.

Link in my signature goes to 'on the ground photos' of that side of the resort.

Knox

I can understand halting construction after 9/11 to wait it out to see if people return to flying and traveling, but I think evidence shows that not only did people return to flying, but attendance at Disney World has increased to record levels. I would think it would be a profitable time to finish construction.

I can understand halting construction after 9/11 to wait it out to see if people return to flying and traveling, but I think evidence shows that not only did people return to flying, but attendance at Disney World has increased to record levels. I would think it would be a profitable time to finish construction.

Very true, but since the early 2000's, Disney's most profitable new construction at WDW has been new DVC properties. And right now they are engaged in a massive new project - Disney's Contemporary Villas (or whatever they wind up calling the new tower at the Contemporary).

So even IF Disney decided to finish the Legendary Years, it wouldn't happen until after DCV is done or mostly done, which would be another year or more.

Add to that the fact that DVC members have been clamoring for a property on the monorail so long that I think DCV will probably sell out in record time, promting Disney to look hard at the idea of building another DVC property on the monorail. It's impossible at Poly - the resort is hemmed in on all sides by the TTC, Seven Seas Lagoon, Grand Floridian, and the Magnolia golf course - so most likely they would build one at Grand Floridian. Imagine the posh, ritziness of a Grand Flordian Villa! There is lots of open lad to the north of GF that could be used, but it would be pretty far from the existing GF monorail stop, so they might even have to add a new monorail station.

This is all speculation and fantasy, of course. Personally, I think it would be a good and profitable move for Disney to complete the Legendary Years, especially if the old rumors about it being mostly or completely comprised of family suites turn out to have some truth; they'd increase the number of Value accomodations, but avoid having to retrofit the existing Value resorts to include family suites.

Or they could shock us all by creating Legendary Years as the first Value-level DVC property - all family suites, with lower cost for those who like to go to WDW every year but can't afford the more expensive DVC properties. Heck, even a notorious tightwad like me could be tempted by that prospect!

But then... of course... they might... if only... they certainly... it should... who knows... maybe... I guess... but only... as if...

I just noticed in the Walt Disney Word overview maps that Disney produces it shows Pop Century with both sides of the lake complete. I have to believe that they are still planning on finishing it.

I just noticed in the Walt Disney Word overview maps that Disney produces it shows Pop Century with both sides of the lake complete. I have to believe that they are still planning on finishing it.

And those maps have been that way for years now..

Personally, I DO believe they will finish it. And I also believe that Disney can handle a couple of construction projects at once.

My money says late 2008 you'll see movement on the other side of Hourglass Lake and 'something' will be done.

The question -- is what. My guess? More family suites.

Knox

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter