Future of Illuminations and Spaceship Earth in Question with Siemens Announcing End of Partnership

Future of Illuminations and Spaceship Earth in Question with Siemens Announcing End of Partnership

Not the first time they've lost their corporate sponsor(s.)

They have both run for extended periods of time without a sponsor.

Disney can operate (and upgrade) attractions without corporate sponsors any time they choose to do so.

Spaceship Earth is too great an icon (and asset) to Epcot to let it languish.

Last edited:

Not the first time they've lost their corporate sponsor(s.)

They have both run for extended periods of time without a sponsor.

Disney can operate (and upgrade) attractions without corporate sponsors any time the choose to do so.

Spaceship Earth is too great an icon (and asset) to Epcot to let it lapse.

I know, and I know SSE is iconic, I'm more worried about IllumiNations, it's my favorite night time show by far (in Florida at least).

I am just going to make sure I ride Spaceship Earth as much as I can this October, because when we go back in 2021 who knows what will be there...
This will be me in September!

Those are the two things I enjoy most at Epcot :(
Me too! Every trip starts and preferably ends with both of them! The one time I didn't ride SSE first, bad things happened... a lot of bad things.

Matt

Hard to believe there are still any sponsors left, just see no real value to them.

I think with all that will be happening at Epcot, Illuminations will likely be replaced for the 40th.

I worry they'll completely gut out SSE and Disney-fy the whole thing. Not sure how you could accomplish that though.

I wouldn't panic yet. No major changes occurred when AT&T pulled its sponsorship.

The writer of the article in the original post doesn't seem to know that.

Chip&Co said:
Interestingly enough, this will be the first time Spaceship Earth does not have a corporate sponsor.
Not surprising.
These kinds of hyperbolic "articles" just seem to want to stir things up unnecessarily.

I have known that Siemens was ending their sponsorship for a while now and it has been killing me to not say anything. When I finally got the email from the Siemens CEO today, even though I knew it was coming, it made me really sad. I was still hoping we could work out a mutually beneficial deal. Siemens entered into sponsorship in 2005 and it will end on October 9th 2017, at which time Disney will remove all reference of Siemens from the rides and shows in both Disney World and Disneyland.

I am sure that Spaceship Earth will continue on and whoever Disney gets to sponsor it next will make new and great changes. Illuminations ran without Siemens sponsorship and if Disney wants can continue on without it now.

In the words of the great quarterback Aaron Rodgers R E L A X

AT&T bowed out on 1/1/03 and Siemens entered the picture on 11/1/05 announcing a 12 year deal. So there was a gap period.

Yup.

They also have operated Epcot's Energy pavilion with and without corporate sponsors for years at a time.

I have known that Siemens was ending their sponsorship for a while now and it has been killing me to not say anything. When I finally got the email from the Siemens CEO today, even though I knew it was coming, it made me really sad. I was still hoping we could work out a mutually beneficial deal. Siemens entered into sponsorship in 2005 and it will end on October 9th 2017, at which time Disney will remove all reference of Siemens from the rides and shows in both Disney World and Disneyland.

I am sure that Spaceship Earth will continue on and whoever Disney gets to sponsor it next will make new and great changes. Illuminations ran without Siemens sponsorship and if Disney wants can continue on without it now.

In the words of the great quarterback Aaron Rodgers R E L A X

You knew and you didn't try to stop it! You monster!

The only item within a park having a sponsor IMO that makes sense is test track.

Disney doesn't need Siemens to continue Illuminations or spaceship earth

If Chevy were to leave TT then they'd have to take everything out of the showroom

Oh crud. October 9th?

Do they need to close the ride to remove references of Siemens?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter