Funds Stolen from My Disney Gift Card Account

gottalovepluto

DIS Veteran
Surely the target 5% discount isn't worth gift card hassles? Or am I missing other reasons for collecting thousands of dollars of gift cards?
Thousands upon thousands of people have no hassles. Like everything else in life it’s great until you’re the .001%. With Hertz you land in jail when Hertz screws up, so at least Disney hasn’t had anyone arrested yet!

Personally I still load gc, transfer gc and store them on the website. To each their own.

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Ok, so it would not be safe if I were to purchase a $100 gift card from Target every so often and loaded them onto the site to transfer them to my lead card that would be deleted after every transfer?

That is what I have done in the past. I had a seperate gift card set for dining, spending for each person, and resort bill pay off. It worked well in the past. But I do know for a fact that my Disney account was hacked, but I did go in and change my password.

If this is no longer safe to do, I will no longer do it at all. I am just wondering if once you load your lead card onto the site to receive transfers, that the hackers can get that info even though you delete it after ever load?

Eastern

DIS Veteran
Thousands upon thousands of people have no hassles. Like everything else in life it’s great until you’re the .001%. With Hertz you land in jail when Hertz screws up, so at least Disney hasn’t had anyone arrested yet!

Personally I still load gc, transfer gc and store them on the website. To each their own.
I'm guessing it's more than .001% ; search cybercrime statistics.

At the very least, posts like these serve as a wake up call to monitor accounts, review passwords, and take as many precautionary steps as possible. I have been hacked multiple times in the past year alone and it's not foolproof just because someone takes precautions. Outside firms that have your information (wegmans, doctors, local businesses, etc) get hacked and expose your information and then all of your good practices go out the window.

My choice is to only buy a GC (from any vendor) when I plan to use it in the very near future. And I always keep receipts until the GC is used. I would not use a GC consolidation service as that is a middleman coming between you and the original card issuer. It's extra complication. It's fine until something goes wrong and then you have to jump through hoops to possibly get your money back. I read the T&C for the DCG website and they basically say, 'the agreement is between you and your card issuer'.

DisneyMommyMichelle

A Maelstromer From Way Back...
This is horrible--but glad you were able to get it resolved.

I am wondering, based on your experience, whether you think it's safe to use the Disney gift card website to combine gift cards and then delete all of the cards, or whether it's best to just avoid the Disney gift card website altogether.
I always combine them into MASTER cards that I put stickers on and mark up to keep track of them and only combine them when I have the max of 1000 ready to go.
Once I do that, I delete everything on there so there is never anything sitting there at all. I keep track of my spending with receipts and keep each MASTER giftcard in a plastic envelope with the receipts used under that one, so that I can see what was spent on each card.

RandomHarmony

Earning My Ears
I always combine them into MASTER cards that I put stickers on and mark up to keep track of them and only combine them when I have the max of 1000 ready to go.
Once I do that, I delete everything on there so there is never anything sitting there at all. I keep track of my spending with receipts and keep each MASTER giftcard in a plastic envelope with the receipts used under that one, so that I can see what was spent on each card.

SL6827

DIS Veteran
I plan to just make me an entirely new account with an odd email and odd psssword with Disney just to combine my cards and then delete everything.

I may do this numerous times as well. Once I fill up a dining payment card, I will move onto a resort payment card and so on.

iwannabdduck

Earning My Ears
Years ago buying and using Disney gift cards was like eating candy ... I enjoyed it a lot. Now they've become more of a hassle to buy, use and safeguard. On our most recent trip I did not combine multiple cards them ahead of time into a single higher-denomination card on Disney's GC site. I simply handed the cast member my card(s) and let them do all the work. If more than one card was needed to pay a bill (it always was) they combined the balances to cover the total bill, and then return all the cards including the zero-balance cards. The receipt shows the remaining balance of the good card. In previous years when I combined cards on DGC site, I eventually had to use more than one card at a time anyway as card balances were used up. Now I simply do that all the time. I find it to be less work, less worry and a lot like handing a cashier multiple dollar bills to pay a bill and waiting for your change.

laceltris3

DIS Veteran
I miss the Disney Vacation Accounts. I would buy gift cards, and them transfer them immediately to the account, and would just give my TA the account number for payment. It had the protections of an actual bank account, even if Disney had gotten rid of the bonus for using the account to pay for vacations.

As it is now, I just buy the GCs at Kroger when they are doing 4X fuel points, as I have a credit card that gives unlimited 5% off groceries, but only buy $500 at a time on one card, like once a month so I can get $1 off of every tank of gas for the month, and then just give them to guest services when I board.