Frustrating experience booking Alaska excursion

MouseOfCards

Finally jumped in . . .
We started booking excursions for our Alaska cruise right after midnight on the first day that bookings were open to us. There was one particular excursion that required all participants to be 5 or older. We were able to book it for all the members of our large party except for one child who would turn 5 the day before that excursion.

We called DCL when their phone lines opened and explained the problem. The cast member said he could see that the child would be the required age at the time of the excursion, but the system only looks at age at the time the cruise begins. He completed a form so that the child could be added, but checked and said that the excursion was already sold out and we were pretty much out of luck.

So frustrating! Has anyone else experienced this problem?

That would be really frustrating. You'd think there would be some sort of option to override the system (since it doesn't reflect the accurate ages) or put some sort of a hold on a spot. I wonder if they'd let you book a cheaper price if you booked when your child was the age for the child price even if they had a birthday before the excursion? I'm guessing not. Not very good customer service on their part.

If you're comfortable, you can probably find the same or similar excursion, not through DCL to book (and there is a good chance it will be cheaper). We have switched to primarily booking outside of DCL for the savings. The only time we still book through DCL is if there is an excursion with long hours and we're worried about the timing getting back to the ship.

I agree with the other posts. We are sailing Alaska in June and our booking isn't opening until next week. We have booked almost all outside of Disney except for two we are hoping aren't sold out. Almost every one is available by the tour operator or through Shore excursions, Alaska shore excursions, Beyond Skagway or other sites. Google and you will find it!

That is very frustrating!!! Check their page often. If I were you, I would keep the reservation and just try to add the additional person often. If it gets to be the last day to cancel and you were not able to add the child, then obviously you would need to cancel but it’s worth a try because a lot of people reserve things as a “maybe” then find something else and will cancel. And as others said you can always look for excursions on your own too that will be similar.
Good luck - have fun and so sorry that happened! I am sure you were ready to pull your hair out!!

Sorry about your experience. I agree that most excursions can be booked separately but not all. We booked two separately but really wanted to do the Bearing Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour in Ketchican and it is only offered through Disney the day we are in port. So it really can depend on what the excursion is.

Thanks for the suggestions. When we checked, that particular excursion was not available to be booked independently on that day.

That is very frustrating!!! Check their page often. If I were you, I would keep the reservation and just try to add the additional person often. If it gets to be the last day to cancel and you were not able to add the child, then obviously you would need to cancel but it’s worth a try because a lot of people reserve things as a “maybe” then find something else and will cancel. And as others said you can always look for excursions on your own too that will be similar.
Good luck - have fun and so sorry that happened! I am sure you were ready to pull your hair out!!
We can no longer check availability for that excursion on the DCL website - it only says "sold out".

Oh that makes me feel bad because it is a really cool excursion!! Well, here is hoping for pixie dust for you and your family pixiedust:
I hope you can come back and post some happy news. Oh- and although the lumberjack show there is kind of tacky, it’s funny and the kids loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter