Frozen...why two versions of Let It Go?

luv2sleep

DIS Veteran
Saw the movie. Loved it. Loved Idina's version of the song. I bought the album. Demi Lovato also has a version but it just can't compare to Idina's version. Not even close. So why are there two versions? I'm not that familiar with the how and why things are done in the music industry but I figure there's a reason.

Saw the movie. Loved it. Loved Idina's version of the song. I bought the album. Demi Lovato also has a version but it just can't compare to Idina's version. Not even close. So why are there two versions? I'm not that familiar with the how and why things are done in the music industry but I figure there's a reason.

I have no answer but I thought the same thing.

Glad I'm not the only one!

Kristen

I think Disney has done this with a few other movies too- the one that comes to mind is Christina Aguilara's release of Mulan's Reflection. Lea Salonga sang it in the film, of course. They do it so they can get the song onto the pop charts with a known name, I guess.

To me, Idina Menzel is already a big name though, so having Demi Lovato cover it is a bit strange, but I guess to the demographic they are aiming for, Demi is a big deal.

Well, I am a 40 something male, not the demographic that Demi Lovato is aimed at, but I vastly prefer her version. The Menzel version is way too fast, and her voice tones sound a bit nasally on the track. My 13 year old boy and 10 year old girl agree.

When Michael Bolton and Elton John did it, it was Oscar baiting. I don't think that's the case here though. Probably like Iowajes said, appealing to a key demo. Same reason all the POTC soundtracks had stupid techno remixes.

To me, Idina Menzel is already a big name though, so having Demi Lovato cover it is a bit strange, but I guess to the demographic they are aiming for, Demi is a big deal.

To you, yes. To a child who listens to Demi Lovato, they won't have a clue who Idina Menzel is.

I believe they did it with A Whole New World from Alladin too.

And a few of the Lion King songs. They rarely release the movie-versions from animated features for radio airplay. No one is going to buy a Nathan Lane/Ernie Sabella song, but have Elton John do it and radio will pick it up.

Yeah I think it was pebo Bryson who sang thT one. I think they are both good but the pop version is more for the radio. They have to do things certain ways to make songs fit into the movies but if they redo it as a pop song, they can take more liberties with the background music, the tempo, etc. plus as some people have mentioned they can market it as a pop song by a pop artist. Agree supernova, unless kids are familiar with her Broadway career or have watched past seasons of Glee where she played Rachel's mom, they will have no clue who Menzel is; but they certainly know who Demi Lovato is.

The same reasons they did can you feel the love tonight, beauty and the best, reflection ect...

I loved Demi's version at first, but the movie version grew on me. I like the music in the movie version better.

This goes back all the way to Beauty and the Beast. It's a trend I like. One of the reasons I was disappointed with Tangled is that there was no cover of one of its songs during the credits.

Still don't see the need for covers personally. I don't have to hear music from popular artists though. Maybe that's why.

I like both versions of the song. However - even in the car, when I hear the Idina version - I hear IDINA and can't really even visualize the character.

I like the Demi version. Both are good.

I think it was because Demi Lovato's version was a single and Idina's was not.

Does the fact I've heard of Idina Menzel and have no clue who Demi Lovato is mean I'm officially old? :confused3

Then I'm old too. Lol. I knew she sang but that's it. Idina's version is the movie. I had not heard the other version before seeing it downloaded onto my iPad. I had not heard any of the songs until I saw the movie. I also don't need my song to be sung by people I've heard of in order to enjoy them. Never been that way. Music stands on it's own. Which is why I don't understand the need for cover songs.

This goes back all the way to Beauty and the Beast. It's a trend I like. One of the reasons I was disappointed with Tangled is that there was no cover of one of its songs during the credits.

Actually the song of the Tangled credits is pretty good :D

In France, we still have two versions of Let It Go that it named "Libérée, Délivrée".

Just wanna say that I am not a fan of Demi's version at all. Idina's is just so good you can't compare anything to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter