From 2br villa to 2 standard rooms

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by hvanes, May 17, 2018.

1. hvanes

hvanes Mouseketeer

Starting to plan our summer 2019 trip. There are 7 in our party, so our past few stays have been in a 2br villa (BLT or SSR) - cash stays as we're not DVC members. We like preparing some of our own meals and the ability to spread out. We also love having laundry in our room.

During our last trip, we realized we are hardly ever in the room, so space isn't much of an issue. We also did very little "cooking" -- it was mainly sandwiches and breakfast.

With the additional parking costs at deluxe resorts. we're thinking about switching things up and doing two regular rooms somewhere (moderate) rather than the villa. I think we could save some money. Sacrifices would include the kitchenette, laundry, the living space, and overall quietness (at least at SSR).

Has anyone made this switch? Any regrets?

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Not sure of your party make up, but you'd need at least one adult (18 or older) in each hotel room. Connecting hotel rooms are not a guarantee, no matter what anyone says.

LilyWDW and Hopefully like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. hvanes

hvanes Mouseketeer

We have 2 adults and 5 children... although one of our children is also 18.

5. ArwenMarie

ArwenMarie DIS Veteran

The biggest thing you will miss out on, IMO, is the guarantee of being connected or even close by to each other. You have no guarantee of any of that if you switch to two hotel rooms.

6. happymommy

happymommy DIS Veteran

I think it will be hard to lose the living room, laundry, kitchen (even if it is for light "meals"), and then two separate bedrooms. With 2 rooms at a moderate, it's 4 in one and 3 in the other. To me that's a tight fit, but if the kids don't mind go for it. Oldest kid and 3 others get one room, one kid goes in with you.

I know they're pricey, but the 2br gives more space for sure.

Have you looked into a 2br suite at the Swan or Dolphin? You would lose a couple perks, but the cost may be better (you have to call the resort to get a price; they're not online). They have ones with kitchenettes. Laundry room is by the pool at the Dolphin. I like being near Epcot.

hvanes and snappy like this.
  7. DisneyWishes14

DisneyWishes14 DIS Veteran

I would weigh out the pros and cons of each to see what works best for your family. There will still be parking costs at the mods, so you would have to price everything out to see if there is really a cost savings involved. We really like POR and POFQ. I, too, like the villas, mostly for the in-room laundry, but I also use the regular laundry rooms when we stay in standard rooms and they are fine as well! As PP's have noted, there is just no guarantee you will get connecting rooms.

I agree with happymommy about calling Swan/Dolphin about their suites. I just booked one today for Christmas week and, with my SPG membership (which is the Starwood loyalty program which is free to join), I got a 2-bedroom Grand Suite for literally half the cost of a 2-bedroom villa at BCV. And that suite comes with the opportunity to purchase the extra CL FP+ as well (if the program still exists in December)

happymommy, hvanes and snappy like this.
  8. hvanes

hvanes Mouseketeer

Thanks for your replies. I had no idea there were suites at Swan/Dolphin!!

What are the perks you lose?

9. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

No Magical Express.
    No park purchases forwarded to your hotel.

you still pay for parking (deluxe range) and there's a nightly resort fee.

look into renting points.

hvanes likes this.
  10. happymommy

happymommy DIS Veteran

No magic bands, no charging at the parks to the room, no dining plan (free or paid), no magical express from the airport. You still can have purchases delivered to the gift shop I believe, but cannot charge them to your room.

Really that's about it. If you have old magic bands, you can still use them as your park tickets though.

hvanes likes this.
  11. FSU Girl

FSU Girl DIS Veteran

I love the 2 bedroom villas and would pick those over 2 rooms every time. It's possible at a moderate you won't be anywhere near the other room since they won't guarantee the connecting room. We do spend a little time in the room, but it's just nice not to be on top of each other while on vacation.

hvanes and happymommy like this.