Friday Night Yard Sale?

sorul82?

<font color=red>I have an alibi<br><font color=lim
Has anyone ever had a yard sale on Friday night? I have to say, it was pretty darn freaky hot last Sat here in NC. We have been having yard sales almost every Saturday, but last week was the pits. Normally we make $75+ but last week was only $25.

Every now and then we see signs for Fri and Sat yard sales.

Any thoughts?

I think it would work. Defineately give it a try and hey look on the bright side that things will still be set up for Saturday morning.;)

The frequency of the sales may be hurting attendance. I don't ever stop at sales that appear to be "permanent" (where there is a shed or something and the stuff obviously comes out every weekend). Typically these are too much like flea markets, which I also don't attend, with cheap stuff bought specifically to resell and prices higher than the normal yard sale. Even if that isn't true of your sale, I would probably never stop to find out.

I see ads for Friday night sales, particulary estate sales, but never seem to have the time to go by at that time of day.

Sheila

I am in Fuquay... today would have been a nice morning! I occasionally see signs for people doing them Fri/Sat... I always wonder about how Friday works out!

In our neck of the woods it is normal for garage sales to be two days ... Friday and Saturday. The best $$ is taken in on Fridays.

Lately some neighborhoods are having "preview night" on Thursday evenings before their two days garage sales. When we go to those, it's a MAD HOUSE of activity and so many cars that you park quite a ways away and walk the streets. My dd just bought a stroller (1$) so we'd have something to hold our purchases while we browse more driveways/garages before getting back to where we parked the car.

We prefer going to garage sales where many garages in one neighborhood are participating. ((neighborhood sales or street sales)) We also don't bother to stop at garage sales where we recognize they are open regularly or even weekly. We might be missing something great, but we figure someone else bought that great thingamabob last week.

Has anyone ever had a yard sale on Friday night? I have to say, it was pretty darn freaky hot last Sat here in NC. We have been having yard sales almost every Saturday, but last week was the pits. Normally we make $75+ but last week was only $25.

Every now and then we see signs for Fri and Sat yard sales.

Any thoughts?

Most of the Friday/Saturday yard sales I've seen have always been during the day, but I think a Friday night would be a great idea! It would work especially well if you are on a more main road or one leading into a subdivision if you hold it so that you are open when people are driving home from work!

I'd say it's certainly worth a try!

It's been years, but I once had a Friday night/Saturday garage sale. The Friday night sale was a bust. We're all conditioned to morning sales.

Me...I hate the Friday/Saturday sales, which is the norm around here. I work on Fridays, so I miss out on everything.

My neighbors would hate me if they came home after the long work week to a street filled with cars and strangers roaming around. It's one thing when there a party (to which they're always invited), it's another thing when it's a bunch of bargain hunters who block driveways and park two feet from the curb on both sides of the street.

The frequency of the sales may be hurting attendance. I don't ever stop at sales that appear to be "permanent" (where there is a shed or something and the stuff obviously comes out every weekend). Typically these are too much like flea markets, which I also don't attend, with cheap stuff bought specifically to resell and prices higher than the normal yard sale. Even if that isn't true of your sale, I would probably never stop to find out.

I see ads for Friday night sales, particulary estate sales, but never seem to have the time to go by at that time of day.

Sheila

I agree with this. If I see a garage sale posted consecutively I won't go for the reasons the PP mentioned. Plus my theory is if you have the same stuff week after week, it's junk or it's priced too high. No offense, just my personal way of planning as gas costs money and I am not gonna waste it to drive to a sale that I think may be a waste of time. You have to remember people that garage sale tend to do it routinely and probably won't re-visit.

Garage sales here are best on Thursdays and Friday mornings believe it or not. Saturdays are okay and Sundays are complete bombs.

I am in Fuquay... today would have been a nice morning! I occasionally see signs for people doing them Fri/Sat... I always wonder about how Friday works out!

I was in Fuquay about an hour ago! We have a Raleigh address but live off 42.

Wow! It's cool and interesting to learn what is the norm in other areas.

Today was much better, so it must have been the heat and humidity last Sat.

We certainly don't have junk; at least I don't think that Justice clothes, $50 dresses, and Thomas stuff is junk. :confused3 We have soooo much stuff the we have accumulated with three children and we put out different stuff each week. I have listed things on craigslist several times, but that wasn't very successful.

Everyone has made good points, but Dave Ramsey says sell our stuff, so we are selling our stuff! :goodvibes

Well you certainly should listen to Dave! Glad you had better luck, sounds like good stuff your selling. I agree about Craig's List, I find people are not very reliable when they say they are coming to pick up. I was planning a sale for mid-July...wonder if the heat will make it a no go now.

Well you certainly should listen to Dave! Glad you had better luck, sounds like good stuff your selling. I agree about Craig's List, I find people are not very reliable when they say they are coming to pick up. I was planning a sale for mid-July...wonder if the heat will make it a no go now.

My DH drove half way to meet someone who wanted almost all of DD's Justice clothes. The person never showed nor bothered to call. :sad2:

Next week I'm going to put out some Pampered Chef stuff that I never took out of the box and refillable mugs from 2008.

My DH drove half way to meet someone who wanted almost all of DD's Justice clothes. The person never showed nor bothered to call. :sad2:

Next week I'm going to put out some Pampered Chef stuff that I never took out of the box and refillable mugs from 2008.

What size are the clothes? What PC stuff do you have?

It seems like a awful lot of work for such a little amount. Have you thought about just donating all of it and taking a tax credit?

I don't go to garage sales at all so the timing wouldn't matter. However our church has a rummage sale twice a year and one of the big draws is the Friday night bag sale. That might be something to consider if you want to clear out a lot with minimal work.

I started having mine 9 years ago when my son was born. My husband works on Saturday so Fridays are easier for our family. I set mine up slowly in my garage starting on the Saturday before and add more each night. I have always done mine on Friday - open at 3:30 when I get home from work - run it 2 hours and usually do over $300 in that time. I have tried Saturdays and they are a bomb. I do run a nice add. I have mine usually in mid to late March. You cannot get up the street for all my traffic. I have alot of repeat customers. I clean our closets during the winter and price each item after cleaning our the room. We always start with my sons toys before Christmas and then move to other rooms as we go. I hate having them but love the results.

It seems like a awful lot of work for such a little amount. Have you thought about just donating all of it and taking a tax credit?

Of course!! But, for the first time in 16 years, we did not have enough to itemize in 2010. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter