French Quarter to the Fantasy With an EPIC Cherry on Top…Spring 2019! Updated 10/25!

Loving your report so far! I think I had been subconsciously avoiding the EPIC trip reports because I was so bummed to not be able to make it, but enough time has passed now that I can handle myself lol. It looks amazing! I’m glad that you’re liking AKL more now! It’s such a gorgeous resort. And I got angry for you with the stupid sunscreen woman. I hate people like that and am glad you said something snarky to her. Some people need to be reminded that there are people other than them in the world. I’m sorry y’all had to miss the Illuminations Cruise. Florida weather strikes again. Enjoying following along and looking forward to more!

I enjoy sangria wherever it might be poured from!

Same! And I even think Jenny @Jenny Sanders is starting to come around! :rotfl:

Oh no :( I'm sad to hear your cruise was cancelled! I always wanted to do an Illuminations cruise and now I'm sad I never did. Did you at least get refunded?

We did get a refund, but it was still kind of a bummer.

That was seriously a highlight of my trip!! They still kill it at 70+!!

They were awesome! I'm about to post a clip...

Loving your report so far!

Thanks!

I think I had been subconsciously avoiding the EPIC trip reports because I was so bummed to not be able to make it, but enough time has passed now that I can handle myself lol.

No worries…I think I'm doing a little of that myself with all the SWGE AP previews. I'm super bummed I couldn't go, but with all the new WDW stuff rolling out, I'll just have to accept that there's always going to be something I'm missing out on!

It looks amazing! I’m glad that you’re liking AKL more now! It’s such a gorgeous resort.

I definitely liked Kidani better, and the Savanna View made all the difference :thumbsup2

Before I get to my actual update, here is a short clip of Herman's Hermits or those who are interested...

Peter Noone was absolutely adorable and if I ever have the chance again to see him, I would not hesitate. Okay, back to...

MAY 5, 2019

BRUNCH AT THE TOP

Kari and I got up fairly early and sat on our patio enjoying our coffee and the view...
I have to admit, I was kind of enjoying this ground floor room ::yes::

But alas, we couldn't dilly dally too long.
We had to get ready to go meet up with Ariane, Steve, Jenny and Joe at the boat launch...

Don't you just love the fella's matching shirts? :love:

Why was everyone so fancy, you ask? We had a VERY special reservation to get to.
We were meeting the rest of the EPIC group over at The Contemporary Resort
and having brunch at the California Grill!
I was so excited since this would be my first time ever eating here.
I had made, and subsequently cancelled, this reservation a couple times in the past
and was now finally getting to see what the fuss was all about.
Plus, I was really excited to get together with the whole group again :thumbsup2

After a short wait, we boarded our boat (which was again bombarded by those gross love-bugs :crazy2:)
and made our way over...

I think we were a little late getting there and everyone was waiting for us…sorry guys :blush:

But shortly after, we were seated and enjoying our mimosas...

Cheers 🥂

I'm not really going to review the food, but suffice it to say, it was amazing and I'm kicking myself for cancelling in the past. I already have this planned for next March with Mike,
and I just know that he is going to love it, too!

We had awesome seats right next to the windows with sweeping views of the Magic Kingdom...

My menu...

One of my favorite items from the buffet was the yogurt with fresh honeycomb...
I definitely ate a couple of these 😋

And one of my buffet plates…I loved the salad and the deviled eggs :lovestruc

I think Kari and I split a couple entrees, the Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes...

and the steak and eggs...

I think I actually preferred the pancakes.
The steak was (MUCH!) too rare for me, but I have never had such perfectly cooked eggs in my life.
Ever since I got home, I've been practicing how to make over-easy eggs like this and I can't even come close. But honestly, I was pretty full by the time the entrees came anyway so it was kind of hard to enjoy much of it. And then, as if we hadn't had enough to eat already, they brought out plates of dessert for the table to share…I ran out of picture space, so I'll show that in the next post!

MAY 5, 2019
DHS SHENANIGANS

Continued from the last post is our dessert plate...

My final thoughts on CG brunch…
it is super expensive and there is no way I ate anywhere near $90 of food,
but it's so good and a really special experience overall.
I can't see myself doing this every trip, but I definitely want Mike to experience it next March and honestly, it's perfect because he celebrates his birthday while we are down there.

We rolled (literally) out of The California Grill around 1pm,
and headed out for some afternoon shenanigans at DHS...

Where did Jenny and Joe go??
I don't recall, but don't worry, we met back up with them later that evening ::yes::

The rest of us headed to where Ariane's shirt told us to go...

We briefly considered going on TOT a second time, but it was starting to rain and it looked like it was going to get worse before it got better so we decided to take refuge in One Man's Dream and then the Tune-In Lounge for a bit. Ariane's report has the photo evidence of the shenanigans that went on in there so I won't repeat, but we had a really silly time :P

It cleared up just in time for our fastpass in TSL...

Before heading out, Kari and I went for a turn on a Starcruiser...
where Kari was the Rebel Spy!
It was so awesome seeing her picture up there, we just cracked up the whole time!

We headed back to the WL where we met back up with Jenny and Joe
and then boarded the boat back to The CR.

Perfectly normal group, nothing to see here...

Where were we heading? That's up next!

Finally caught up to the TR!

Our last FP was for SM, but the times didn't coordinate perfectly so we went and asked the CM if we could all get on together about 15 minutes early and she was kind of a sourpuss and wasn't about to make any exceptions for us so we had to kind of sit around and wait for a bit.
Oof! Sounds like you needed the Lesley-CM magic!
I believe that was most of us, though it looks like at least Lesley, Molly and Caroline are missing
since they had decided to head back to the Yacht Club just before this.
Yup - time to take a nap!

You guys all look lovely for CG. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I've considered canceling our reservation in November because of the price but I think we need to experience it at least once!

Kari and I got up fairly early and sat on our patio enjoying our coffee and the view...
Man, that sounds nice right about now.
Don't you just love the fella's matching shirts? :love:
They're obviously in love.
niiiice.
After a short wait, we boarded our boat (which was again bombarded by those gross love-bugs :crazy2:)
They were so bad!
I'm not really going to review the food, but suffice it to say, it was amazing and I'm kicking myself for cancelling in the past.
I think I need this in my life.
Ever since I got home, I've been practicing how to make over-easy eggs like this and I can't even come close.
:laughing:

Lower your heat.
Put a lid on the (non-stick!) frying pan.
That's very high praise.
I so often see the opposite "It was a lot of money and not worth..."
We rolled (literally) out of The California Grill around 1pm,
The rest of us headed to where Ariane's shirt told us to go...
Not to self. Always follow Ariane's shirt.
we had a really silly time :P
:lmao:
Perfectly normal group, nothing to see here...

Yep! Perfectly normal. No! Really!

Oof! Sounds like you needed the Lesley-CM magic!

I'd love to know how to get me some of that! That, or @pkondz 's VIP weather and bus pass!

You guys all look lovely for CG. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I've considered canceling our reservation in November because of the price but I think we need to experience it at least once!

Thanks!

If you can swing it, don't cancel! I'm so looking forward to going back in March ::yes::

That was seriously one of the best days and nights of the trip, sooooo much fun!

Where did you go that day? We were missing you at DHS!

I can’t tell from the pictures - were you having fun ? :)

Nope. None at all. :P

Man, that sounds nice right about now.

Thoughts of this will have to have to hold me over for the next 6 1/2 months :sad1:

They're obviously in love.

True Bromance :love:

I think I need this in my life.

Yes, you do ::yes::

Lower your heat.
Put a lid on the (non-stick!) frying pan.

I've tried that, and I've tried adding a little water to the pan which kind of helped but my eggs still aren't anywhere near as good.

That's very high praise.
I so often see the opposite "It was a lot of money and not worth..."

I don't know, I can see that I guess. If I was really going down on a budget, I could skip it and still have an amazing trip. It's definitely a splurge, and you're not just paying for the food, it's a really nice experience. Kind of like going to a spa or something.

Yep! Perfectly normal. No! Really!

:rotfl:

I was also getting bombarded with a million photos of my DD and her BF going to the Junior Prom. I was really sad I was missing it, but it wasn't her Prom, it was his and they weren't even dating when I made these plans so many months prior.
She looks so beautiful!
Anyway, nothing like a turn on the best ride in WDW to get my mind off things, and we were soon boarding our Banshees for an amazing Flight Of Passage! This was Jenny's second time EVER riding it and I think she loved it...at least she was laughing as we exited 😆
It is the best... just so fun!
After that, we all headed out of AK and back to the Wilderness Lodge! I was still so excited to finally meet my new Roomie in person! Of course, I was also kind of nervous wondering if I'd like her as much in person as I do in her trip reports....Spoiler Alert...I did! The amazing Kari, @kastoney is just as much fun in person as she is here on the boards! But I'm getting ahead of myself...
Kari is awesome....I am glad you two got along so well!
I was in the room relaxing and waiting for Kari, thinking she would come drop off her luggage in there, when I got a text from her saying she was in Territory Lounge with everyone so I headed over there...
I am sure everyone had fun there!
We had a lovely boat ride over to the MK and were through the gates by 8:49 am when we noticed the old time trolley/bus was running. I don't recall whose idea it was to hop on, but hop on we did and had a great view of an early morning on Main Street, USA...
Perfect!
As I was saying (just 11 short days ago :blush:), we were all enjoying our snack when I suggested we go for a ride on the Liberty Belle. For one reason or another I had never been on. I was going to try last trip but it wasn't running for a while. Since we didn't have any immediate plans and had some time to kill before our next FP, everyone agreed.
I love the Liberty Belle but would not have been a fan of those love bugs!
After the plan was made, I kind of boogied over there
but did not manage to get there before the heavens opened up.
I was happy I had my raincoat, but I was still soaked.

Jenny and Joe and a couple others were a couple minutes behind me and when they came in,
they said they had just run into Tim and Jen Tracker on their way there!
I was super jealous! But they were more drenched than me, so there's that :P
The Odyssey centre sounds like a great place to meet up and your food looks great! I wanted to get there in March but never made it over.
I had Red and Jenny had White. I actually didn't think it was all that bad,
but Jenny was a little horrified that she was served Sangria…from a BOX!
She must've said it at least 20 times that night, with the emphasis on BOX! :rotfl:
I honestly will never look at Sangria again without thinking of Jenny and this night
That's the best!
Why was everyone so fancy, you ask? We had a VERY special reservation to get to.
I was so excited since this would be my first time ever eating here.
I had made, and subsequently cancelled, this reservation a couple times in the past
and was now finally getting to see what the fuss was all about.
Plus, I was really excited to get together with the whole group again :thumbsup2
That brunch is awesome!! Bill and I enjoyed it so much in July!
And one of my buffet plates…I loved the salad and the deviled eggs :lovestruc
Was that the bacon and egg salad? I was obsessed with it!
I can't see myself doing this every trip, but I definitely want Mike to experience it next March and honestly, it's perfect because he celebrates his birthday while we are down there.
It definitely is expensive but worth it for a special treat.

Thoughts of this will have to have to hold me over for the next 6 1/2 months :sad1:
That'll go by quick. :)
I've tried that, and I've tried adding a little water to the pan which kind of helped but my eggs still aren't anywhere near as good.
Hmmm... fresh eggs? That makes a difference too. Added water... just a bit for steaming I presume?
I don't know, I can see that I guess. If I was really going down on a budget, I could skip it and still have an amazing trip. It's definitely a splurge, and you're not just paying for the food, it's a really nice experience. Kind of like going to a spa or something.
I'm happy to spend a bit more for experiences. That sounds like one of them. :) I'm typically not one of those who complain about the money spent.

She looks so beautiful!

Thank you! :-)

I love the Liberty Belle but would not have been a fan of those love bugs!

I might have to try again when it's NOT Love Bug season!

Was that the bacon and egg salad? I was obsessed with it!

I think that's it! I'm so bad at remembering what I ate…hence, why I never do dining reports. But I think you're right, and I definitely had a couple servings of it too :lovestruc

That'll go by quick. :)

I hope so. If nothing else, it gives me something to look forward to this winter :sad:

Hmmm... fresh eggs? That makes a difference too. Added water... just a bit for steaming I presume?

Possibly. I kind of gave up and literally microwaved my eggs yesterday because I was lazy. I bet they don't do that at the California Grill :rotfl:

MAY 5, 2019
BACK TO THE TOP

What better way to end this day that started at the top of the world at California Grill,
than to head to the Top Of The World lounge at BLT!

I have stayed at BLT a few times and have gone up to the TOTW to watch fireworks a couple times,
but I have never actually been in the actual lounge for food or drinks.
I've now discovered that I was really missing out. It's an amazing place to go relax
and I'm sure I'll be trying to get up there each trip now.
You are all welcome to join me if you'd like!

We arrived in time to enjoy this gorgeous sunset...

Seriously, so pretty and pictures just don't do it justice.

We ordered some drinks and small plates to enjoy while we waited for HEA to start...

Love these girls :love:

And these peeps too :love:
And look! No Terry! :rotfl:

I don't recall what everyone ordered, all I have a picture of is my Margherita Flatbread...

When the fireworks started, we made our way out to watch from the observation deck...

In all the excitement this night, I completely forgot to check into my Southwest flight at 8 pm.
I was kind of kicking myself for not getting EBCI for at least the way home
because by the time I remembered to check-in, at 8:06pm, I was assigned boarding group B51.
In the end it turned out okay since I was alone and I easily found a seat
right about where I normally like to sit…on an aisle in the first few rows.
In the future, I think I'll add EBCI for my return flights just so I don't even have to give it a thought.

We headed out around 10 and went back to the WL via boat...

I'm going to guess we went back to either Geyser Point or Territory Lounge,
but since I have no pictures from there, I honestly can't say.
We did say good-bye to Ariane and Jenny this night since we wouldn't be seeing them the next day :sad:

I also took a bunch of WL pics since I realized I hadn't done so already.
I'll post those next...

Last edited:
MAY 5, 2019
RESORT PICS

The Wilderness Lodge lobby...

The looonnnggg ramp we had to walk down to get to our first floor room.
I admit, at first I was really disappointed in our location,
but I ended up loving being so close to Roaring Forks and the lobby...

Sadly, there was not enough time to enjoy this gorgeous pool...

The door leading back in to the lobby...

I've been in the WL before for a dining reservation at Whispering Canyon Cafe,
and to Geyser Point last year with Mike, but this was my first time staying here.
Even knowing that it was @ariane37's and @kastoney 's favorite resort,
I wasn't super dying to stay here.
I've definitely changed my tune and would happily stay here again if given the chance.
It's a lovely, relaxing resort with some awesome dining options
and the added convenience of the boat to the MK.
I still love the CR and Poly, but this would definitely be in my top 5, along with the Beach Club and POFQ. Someday I'll have to stay at the GF and see where that fits in.

That last pic was taken at 11:40, so I'm sure I headed to bed from there.

Up next, our last day :sad1:
But first, Kari and I head to the MK!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter