French Quarter to the Fantasy With an EPIC Cherry on Top…Spring 2019! Updated 10/25!

The bus sign kept changing times, but I was hopeful...
I hate that... unless the time gets sooner... which it never does.
we made it to DHS at 6:50.
We felt like we were the only people there...
Heh. Try it with SWGE now. You will not feel alone.
Nicholas could barely contain his excitement this morning...
My goodness! The excitement meter is off the charts! :laughing:
My poor mom, who is cold when it's 80 degrees outside, was absolutely freezing this morning.
So what was the temp?
we tried to kind of stay in the middle to shield ourselves from the breeze…
Love that gif. :laughing:
They are huge roller coaster fans and I thought they'd love it as much as I do.
I'm not surprised they didn't, though.
Love this! :love:
The kids ended up being kind of unimpressed with SDD…whomp, whomp.
I guess it's not thrilling enough for them. My mom, on the other hand, loved it!
Yep. Not surprised. It's a fun little coaster, but to a coaster thrill junkie... It's too tame.
I still love it, though. :)
It's kind of an ongoing joke that my mom seems to get lost or separated from us everywhere and we were laughing because we could see she didn't know where we went even though we told her...
:laughing:
Like this. You look cute in your little saucer.
But if you think the kids were unimpressed by SDD, imagine how unimpressed they were with this.
:lmao:
After having experienced both now,
I would definitely prefer that they had just left it there.
Not that Backlot Express was bad…the food was pretty much the same…but I liked
the proximity of ABC Commissary to TSL, as well as the layout of the food and tables.
Thanks for that observation. I was wondering...
Sorry, no matter which way I rotate this, it looks upside down...
Looks delicious in any orientation.
I think after making them go on it so many times, it kind of grew on them and they kind of liked it.
Good!! :)
Allie did her best David Lee Roth impression on the way...
"Jump!"
My mom waited in her favorite secret spot while the kids and I plunged to our deaths...
Nooooooo...
Once there, my mom, Allie and I all got Mickey Bars...
Always time for Mickey Bars.
but Nicholas, being the growing boy that he is, got a burger...
<sigh> I remember those days. Down a burger and fries and burn it all off in minutes.
(and then a Mickey Bar!)
Ah! Good. :)
The view from right outside our room 2329...
Nice location!!
PHOTOPASS DUMP (DIFFERENT FROM THE SLINKY DOG DUMP, @Steppesister :P)
(It also reminds me that there is no replacing a real-life photo pass photographer, but that's a different story :()
Oh? Standing by...
She changed her outfit. Such a girl. :)
This boat ride just sealed the deal for my newfound love of POFQ.
What a lovely way to travel :love:
::yes:: I love the boat ride to DTD.
I won't say too much about it, except that it was really way cooler than I thought it would be…
even for an old mama like myself.
Huh! I don't know anyone that's done it. Maybe I'll have to look into it.
I left them and went over to D-Luxe Burger by myself.
I need to get to this place some day.

:rotfl:

That picture cracks me up, and it is so like them to have the exact same face in pictures at times...
:laughing: Twins!
I was happy just getting coffee, but Nicholas had to get some Mickey Waffles and bacon to go with it...
See previous comment about being able to eat like that...
We unanimously agreed on our first ride...
Yussssss...
This is right after they added to new cameras here and we didn't know about them.
We got the most flattering pictures
Other than the price tag hanging off, she's totally believable as a Pirate, right? pirate:
Totally! Absolutely pirate-like.
Those of you who are paying attention might have noticed that that is definitely not 7DMT.
I was wondering. "Uh, Kelly? You accidentally posted a PP photo, here."
We were actually heading there when the kids decided they didn't really want to go on :sad1:
I'm sorry... what??
I know some of you will think we're nuts, but we all love this little cruise :love:
Yes. You're all nuts.
Personally, I feel a little banged up after riding, but I'll go once or twice per trip.
I feel the same way. I'm happy to skip it now. I'll ride it if I'm with someone who insists on going, but...
I kicked my mom over on her seat so I could get my shoefie…is that what you call it??
Anyway…proof...
Shoefie! I like that! New word!!

It can go along with "tapstile".
Then I sent Mike a pic of his favorite girl.
A selfie of me, of course, I'm sure you're thinking..
But by the time we caught up to the kids they were having the dumbest argument about…
of all things…
the stupid Splash Mountain ziplock bag :sad2:
Nicholas had gotten one and Allie wanted to see it but then Nicholas wanted it back…
I'm not even sure, but it was so ridiculous.
I handed my bag over to Allie to keep the peace and that pretty much ended it
but honestly…what the heck??
:sad2:
I am very familiar with this phenomenon.
One whole day together and they were already annoyed with each other :rolleyes1
Took a whole day, huh?
We decided to put Ziplock-gate behind us and try for another FP.
"Ziplock-gate"... :laughing:
Up next, a new…and very gross…WDW experience for us!
Uh, oh... wonder what that will be.

And I'm all caught up!! :)

Nicholas and I are the same this way! Nathan is learning to just feed me whenever he notices I'm getting particularly cranky. It usually does the trick.

Smart man!

I always tell Nicholas that there is absolutely NO excuse to be hungry/hangry in WDW! There is literally food everywhere ::yes::

I also secretly enjoy IASM. From the song to the different scenes to the drunken hippo... it always makes me smile.

Maybe the two of us should join a secret club. My DH loves it too so we can allow him in as well :rolleyes1 A 3 person club of people who love IASW :love:

My Mom would have just taken it away and left neither of us with a bag. I like your way better LOL :)

I like her way better! That never even occurred to me!

Well that is quite a cliffhanger

And I'm sorry I've left you all hanging! Life gets busy! Hoping to have an update soon!
I was thinking the same thing about the Skyliner!! For some reason, I ride all kinds of crazy rides and the Skyliner scares me and I'm convinced we're going to get on it with people who will do something to get us stuck lol

Wait…did we predict the whole Skyliner 3-hour debacle?? We wrote this before that happened…it never even occurred to me that we might actually have to relieve ourselves up there in front of strangers…or worse…that they would have to relieve themselves in front of us! :scared1:

Now you I can personally attest to, but a teenage early riser? I didn't know that existed in the wild

He's a nut, and he's always been an early riser. When he was a toddler, I'd wake up at 4am to find him in his playroom watching tv and eating from a box of cereal. He hasn't changed much since then :laughing:

I can't see the picture for some reason, but no chance it beats our little gem

Nothing beats that one, but since I know how much you love it, I won't post it again.

Can you see the rest of my pics? That's so weird. Can you see these now?

Oh the "joys" of sibilingdom that Casey will never know

But it's taught me so much…how else would I ever develop the skills to break up a fight over a ziplock bag?
(If I keep saying this it will be true.)

Also, Casey will thank you someday :rotfl:

Did Nicholas graduate this year? My boys graduate in 2020 and I can't believe we will be done with public school. :(

He did, he started college and he seems to be enjoying it…so far ::yes::

Um is that your infamous black jacket in the Space picture?

Ummmm…nooooo. Harrumphhh.

It's my other Disney staple…my little black sweater I carry everywhere because it's always freezing inside. Keep it straight. :P

Please keep telling these stories it makes me feel better! Today I had to take Ricky to the mall to a jeweler to figure out his ring size to order his school ring. Yeah he could have gone himself but he's a PITA. Chris needs new sneakers and asked me to,take him so I said he could come with Ricky and I.

Ricky"oMG why does Chris have to come???"
Chris "I'm not walking by Ricky and his thing better be quick"
Ricky "I don't care you're an @@@hole I don't want you walking by me"
Chris "you can't even go measure your stupid finger yourself you need mommy"
So that was a fun mall excursion. Toddlers are the worst!

OMG, this story! I am SO happy mine are the only ones :rotfl:

My dad probably would,have blown up the bag and then popped it if my sister and I were fighting over it 😛

How come you guys are giving me all these great ideas now?? Well, I'll be ready next time!

So excited for this part of the report!

Thanks! Sorry it's taking so long to get here!

Noooo! I was a little unimpressed on my first ride when I rode near the front. It's definitely more thrilling in the back!

I think they did prefer the back, now that I think of it, and you're right…I'm sure that's why ::yes::

Am I going crazy, I thought she has really curly hair?!

Not crazy at all! I think she straightened it for a dance comp right before we left and she hadn't gotten it wet yet. It wasn't straight like that again the rest of the week.

What a cliffhanger! I need to know what was gross, immediately!

Well, you were there in May, so you have an idea...

That's nothing!!!! You would be surprised and amazed by some of the things Joe and I witnessed last month. Your kids are angels (and super cute too)!!!! :love:

You're always the sweetest, Jenny :hug:

They gave up a 7DMT for PP? That's a new one! LOL! Kids annoyed at each other? NO. WAY! :laughing: My trip was not entirely devoid of the moody business either. :sad2:

I think it's inevitable with siblings :crazy2:

I think Disney Springs also has the Wreck it Ralph one. And out here, we will get an Avengers one!

I think I read we now have the Avengers, too! Mike loves Marvel and all those movies so we will have to do this for sure!

I'm not able to see your photos!

Boo!

Kari said the same thing…was it just these photos? How about now?

Caught up. Loved seeing your TSL EMM experience. I had that booked for us, but ended up cancelling it.

That's too bad…I would literally do this every trip if I could.

I may have laughed just a little bit at the story, though

I'm totally laughing right along with you now! But at the time...:sad2:

So what was the temp?

I think it was around 60, but it was a little breezy so it felt really chilly 🥶
(I'm sure the Canadian in you is :sad2: )

Thanks for that observation. I was wondering...

Not that it matters now, but I'm still hoping they bring it back in some form ::yes::

I was thinking, "Dancing in the Street," but that works too!

Yes. You're all nuts.

It's such a "Walt" ride…maybe that's why I love it so much. And I love the dolls by Mary Blair, the music by the Sherman Brothers…classic Disney. What's not to love? :confused3

Shoefie! I like that! New word!!

I thought it was a thing…I must've read it in someone else's TR…I just cannot remember whose it was!

Took a whole day, huh?

Probably not…I'm sure there were many other minor grievances leading up to this, but none so egregious as stealing a (free) ziploc bag o_O

I think it was around 60, but it was a little breezy so it felt really chilly 🥶
(I'm sure the Canadian in you is :sad2: )
So hot! Were you sweating profusely?
I was thinking, "Dancing in the Street," but that works too!
First thing I saw when I looked at the first pic. "She's jumping"
It's such a "Walt" ride…maybe that's why I love it so much. And I love the dolls by Mary Blair, the music by the Sherman Brothers…classic Disney. What's not to love? :confused3
Well...

The Dolls, with their soulless eyes, doomed to perform the same robotic, monotonous gestures for all eternity all while being subjected to "music" designed to have the same effect on the nervous system as fingernails on a chalkboard.

But other than that... Sure! What's not to love?
Probably not…I'm sure there were many other minor grievances leading up to this, but none so egregious as stealing a (free) ziploc bag o_O
The horror!

So hot! Were you sweating profusely?

No, but I'm sure you would be. But then, you live in a place where it snows in early October 🥶 🥶 🥶

The Dolls, with their soulless eyes, doomed to perform the same robotic, monotonous gestures for all eternity all while being subjected to "music" designed to have the same effect on the nervous system as fingernails on a chalkboard.

Aw…I can see I'm not going to change your mind. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one :-)

Hi everyone!

Sorry to leave you with such a cliffhanger and then not return for so long!
I've been busy working, and celebrating Allie's 16th birthday.
We had not one, but two parties for her and I am partied out!
I'm glad I had one of each because Nicholas couldn't care a fig newton about birthday parties
after the age of 12, but Allie thinks her birthday is a national holiday!

Oh, and she started driving this week so that's been fun :crazy2:
She gets behind the wheel and doesn't stop talking the whole time.
I think it's nervous chatter, but again, Nicholas never did that.
She narrates everything she's doing while she's doing and when she's done doing it,
such as, "Oh…that was good…a little too fast…oof, I need to straighten out…that was a good parking job…ew, rough stop…etc."
As if just driving with her isn't petrifying enough, I have to listen to that the whole time:rotfl:

Anyway, back to the trip report...

APRIL 4, 2019

THE START OF THE INFESTATION

No, the gross part wasn't Tony's, although that's where we went next...

One of our favorite traditions is having a late lunch at Tony's
and watching the Festival of Fantasy parade from there.
We were seated by 2:20 and were lucky enough to get a table outside...

But shortly after we were seated, we started to notice all these weird, little bugs flying around
and they kept landing on our table. After swatting them for a few minutes,
it dawned on me that these were the infamous, "Love-Bugs."
I know I talked about these previously in the TR, but that was from May
and since we're now back in April, this was the very first experience I had with them.
They were super gross and we were all getting kind of annoyed at them
and kind of regretted our decision to dine al fresco.
We have gone on many April trips and this was our first time running into these little critters.
Of course, they were NOTHING like they were in May and luckily,
this was the only time this week I remembered seeing them at all.

We kept a constant swatting vigil and I believe we were successful in not consuming any bugs with our lunch :P

You know I don't do dining reports, but we started with the bread...

We all really like this, but we tend to love carbs anyway.
We asked for more when we finished this since Allie could eat that whole thing herself!

I got the ravioli...

From the menu-Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli, Heirloom Tomatoes, Wilted Chard, Hazelnut, and Lemon-Parmesan Crema

I had gotten the raviolis last year and absolutely LOVED them.
This time, sadly, they weren't great.
Of course, last year they were served with a spicy blush sauce and some shaved veggies on top and they were super delicious. Here is a pic from last year for comparison...

It was my fault for not reading the menu more carefully,
I guess I just assumed they'd be the same this year.
I think the lemon-parmesan creama was too acidic and didn't go well with the raviolis.

Nicholas got a pepperoni flatbread...
I managed to steal a piece and it was better than my raviolis.

Allie and my mom both got pasta...

Everyone else seemed to enjoy their meals and although I was slightly disappointed with mine,
I will definitely be back to Tony's.

Just as we were finishing our meals, the parade reached Town Square.
It's so relaxing to sit and watch from a nice, shaded porch.

Some people had a hard time seeing some of my pics in the last update
so I'll just post the old-fashioned way which means I'm out of space already!

Parade pics coming up...

Last edited:
Your ziplock bag story is funny, it reminded me of crabby Andi day. The first day in MK when she was snarky, she gave me a lecture while we were in line about the misuse of plastic bags! She basically was mad Disney was handing these out and that I took one, ugh!!

My bag came in handy for goodies later on and I was happy I had it!

That is a great idea to get a reservation around FoF time! Do you have to ask for the porch area? I would like to do that on our next trip. I have Tony’s on our list because of the vegetarian choices. I know you mostly always enjoy eating there!

Last edited:
APRIL 4, 2019
GALACTIC HERO

This will give you an idea of the view from Tony's...

The view is not the greatest,
but I've seen it enough that having the best view isn't as important to me as being comfortable.
This is especially true when I go with my mom…
we tend to run her ragged and she appreciates the break now and again.

While at lunch, we were able to get a FP for Buzz, so we walked over to Tomorrowland…
I had no idea this would be the last picture I ever take of this sign...

My mom is sooooo into this...

I can never hit a thing in here…I have no idea what I'm shooting at.
So even though I know the secrets about what to shoot at, I always do poorly.
On the other hand, I shared the secrets with Nicholas once and of course...

Galactic Hero!

I'm out of picture space again, and I think I have just one more update for this day,
then one more day in Animal Kingdom and then it's on to our cruise on the Fantasy!

Happy Birthday to Allie! I've always been like her about birthdays, too. How funny about her narration while she's driving!! :rotfl:

Sorry your meal at Tony's wasn't as good as the time before. And the love bugs sound disgusting!! We've been lucky not to run into many of them on our trips, but once when we drove down in May they were absolutely everywhere when we stopped for gas in the Carolinas. Gross!! :scared:

No, but I'm sure you would be. But then, you live in a place where it snows in early October 🥶 🥶 🥶
Gee... thanks ever so much for the reminder. :sad2:
Aw…I can see I'm not going to change your mind. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one :-)
Actually... (don't tell anyone) While it's not my fave and I prefer to skip it then go on it...
When I'm with someone who does want to go, I do and it's fine.

Except that song is stuck in my head for the next hour or so. :rolleyes:
Sorry to leave you with such a cliffhanger :-)laughing:) and then not return for so long!
You're evil! You should be wearing that Devil costume!
Allie thinks her birthday is a national holiday!
Allie is right. At least that's how I feel about my birthday!
Oh, and she started driving this week so that's been fun :crazy2:
She gets behind the wheel and doesn't stop talking the whole time.
Ah yes... I went through that same thing.
As if just driving with her isn't petrifying enough, I have to listen to that the whole time:rotfl:
We were seated by 2:20 and were lucky enough to get a table outside...
Nice!
But shortly after we were seated, we started to notice all these weird, little bugs flying around
and they kept landing on our table.
Oh, Lord....
We kept a constant swatting vigil and I believe we were successful in not consuming any bugs with our lunch :P
I can't even imagine accidentally eating one of those. Apparently they have no natural predators because they have a taste that other animals don't like.
You know I don't do dining reports
You and me both. :)
Allie and my mom both got pasta...
That's what I would've (and have!) chosen.
Just as we were finishing our meals, the parade reached Town Square.
It's so relaxing to sit and watch from a nice, shaded porch.
:goodvibes
This will give you an idea of the view from Tony's...
Like you said, not the best, but... sitting? Relaxing? ::yes::
I had no idea this would be the last picture I ever take of this sign...
I had a similar thing.
I took the photo and someone said "Nice you got that before they took it down."
Huh??? What???
My mom is sooooo into this...

:lmao:
But Allie looks like she's set to be Galactic Hero.
I can never hit a thing in here…I have no idea what I'm shooting at.
So even though I know the secrets about what to shoot at, I always do poorly.
Start shooting before you enter the first room so you can figure out which dot is yours. It helps!
On the other hand, I shared the secrets with Nicholas once and of course...
:lmao: Of course!
Galactic Hero!
Get out! He got a button?? Not a sticker?

My Mom always makes me tap her on the shoulder to let her know what side the camera is on! haha

The ziploc fight reminds me of a fight my brother and I would get into. Always over dumb reasons! lol

Sweet 16 is so fun!! I think my Mom was super grateful that I was so much older than Calista lol I actually helped a lot with teaching her how to drive! haha good luck!

Lunch sounds great! I'm sure it was nice to be able to see the parade without having to stand in the hot sun!

The first day in MK when she was snarky, she gave me a lecture while we were in line about the misuse of plastic bags! She basically was mad Disney was handing these out and that I took one, ugh!!

:rotfl:

That's too funny! I'm glad you got some use out of it later…you really showed her :P

That is a great idea to get a reservation around FoF time! Do you have to ask for the porch area?

If it's a nice day we always ask and have always gotten it. Sometimes we have to wait a little bit but that's why I make the reservation for 2:15-2:30.

Happy Birthday to Allie! I've always been like her about birthdays, too.

Thank you!

I've never had a fun birthday and now that I'm old, I'd rather they just slip quietly by :crazy2:

Sorry your meal at Tony's wasn't as good as the time before. And the love bugs sound disgusting!! We've been lucky not to run into many of them on our trips, but once when we drove down in May they were absolutely everywhere when we stopped for gas in the Carolinas. Gross!! :scared:

It's weird how this was the one and only time all week we noticed them. I was actually thinking that, "Jeez, these aren't bad at all…why does everyone complain?" And then I went in May and TOTALLY understood what everyone was complaining about!

Except that song is stuck in my head for the next hour or so. :rolleyes:

You're welcome :goodvibes

Ah yes... I went through that same thing.

Oh, and yesterday while she was driving and chattering away, she busted out with an accent. I said, "Why are you suddenly speaking British?" and she's like, "I'm not, I'm Australian."

Ooookkkk….

I had a similar thing.
I took the photo and someone said "Nice you got that before they took it down."
Huh??? What???

Are we the only two who didn't know? I had no clue they were changing it. :confused3

Get out! He got a button?? Not a sticker?

Apparently, they were out of them so the CM wrote the button for him.

My Mom always makes me tap her on the shoulder to let her know what side the camera is on! haha

Could you sit behind me on my next time on Space Mountain, please? Thanks :-)

Sweet 16 is so fun!! I think my Mom was super grateful that I was so much older than Calista lol I actually helped a lot with teaching her how to drive! haha good luck!

That's a good point. Nicholas can't help with Allie driving because he's only been driving 2 years and the law says he has to be driving for 4 years or be 21 years old. And Mike drives a standard so he can't help either. It's all me :bitelip:

and were lucky enough to get a table outside...
I've always wanted to eat outside at Tony's. Nice score (except for the stupid bugs).

it dawned on me that these were the infamous, "Love-Bugs."
I know I talked about these previously in the TR, but that was from May
and since we're now back in April, this was the very first experience I had with them.
They were super gross and we were all getting kind of annoyed at them
and kind of regretted our decision to dine al fresco.
They were bad in September too. I've never seen them sooooo bad in Orlando.

I will definitely be back to Tony's.
We will too. Its become a fav.

You're welcome :goodvibes
nooo.gif
Oh, and yesterday while she was driving and chattering away, she busted out with an accent. I said, "Why are you suddenly speaking British?" and she's like, "I'm not, I'm Australian."

Ooookkkk….
:lmao: What the heck!?!?
Are we the only two who didn't know? I had no clue they were changing it. :confused3
I asked around and took a poll.

Yes. We were the only two.
Apparently, they were out of them so the CM wrote the button for him.
button>sticker

I've never had a fun birthday and now that I'm old, I'd rather they just slip quietly by :crazy2:

:rotfl: This made me laugh. (Not the never having a fun birthday, that's unfortunate, but the being old bit.)

Birthdays have still been fun for me up till now, but I anticipate they're about to get less fun. My husband is a few years older than me, and he's about to turn 30 this weekend, and the reality of that is suddenly starting to dawn on him. He keeps having these little early mini-midlife-crisis moments where he's, like, taking stock of what he's done with his life so far! :laughing:

I've always wanted to eat outside at Tony's.

Strangely, it's not that hard to get this request as we've done it many times. Maybe it's because not a lot of people want to eat lunch at 2:30 :confused3

They were bad in September too. I've never seen them sooooo bad in Orlando.

Ew. Are they only around in May and September? That was my first time in May and I've never been in September…maybe that's why I haven't come across them :crazy2:

My husband is a few years older than me, and he's about to turn 30 this weekend, and the reality of that is suddenly starting to dawn on him. He keeps having these little early mini-midlife-crisis moments where he's, like, taking stock of what he's done with his life so far! :laughing:

Sometimes these decade birthdays are a good thing as it really is a good time to figure out if you're happy with your life and think about where you'd like to be in the next 10 years.

And then there's the for-real mid-life crises…my ex-husband is 1.5 years younger than me and he's totally having one right now. I even told him he was but he won't see it. Mike's brother totally had one too and started doing things REALLY out of character for him.

I think at 30, N is safe…for now! Just watch out when he starts pricing out fancy sports cars or getting a new sleeve of tattoos that he never mentioned he ever wanted :rotfl:

I love your tradition of eating at Tony's to catch the parade! Do you ask for the porch area every time or just go with the luck of the draw?? We've only eaten there once, and we were pretty disappointed with our meal, but it was also at the end of our trip and we were kind of crabby with each other, which may have spilled over into our experience. We really should give it another try!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter