Free dining & park tickets/timing

Jedimom

Mouseketeer
Considering doing a split stay if they offer free dining in Jan/Feb. We'll be staying 10 nights, and I had thought of spending the first 5-7 nights off-site, the final 3-5 nights on-site (POR). The reason for splitting the stay is that, quite honestly, I think too many days of Disney food would be the death of us.

We plan on spending quite a bit of time at Disney parks -- 6-7 days -- and I'd like them split up throughout the vacation. I realize we can't take advantage of the free dining on any but those final days when we're staying onsite.

But could we 1) purchase the park ticket package for more days than we stay on-site and 2) activate the park tickets *before* we begin our on-site stay?

This is from a "Sticky" on the theme park page that you can go read:

Picking up Package Tickets Prior To Start Of Package

In cases where Walt Disney World Resort Guests would like to begin using their Package Tickets prior to the day of check-in (up to three days in advance), the Guests will be directed to visit any Theme Park or DTD Guest Relations location and request Early Ticket Pick-Up. (Note this cannot be done at a water park.)

It is only valid for people with packages at a Walt Disney World owned and operated Resort. You can be staying off-property at the time you pick up the tickets. Note that if you have a package which includes Dining, although you can pick up your tickets early you cannot get access to the Dining until you have actually checked in to your Resort.

Note that since August 2011 the Call Centers have been telling Guests this cannot be done. However it is still a valid procedure and can be done with no problem at Park Guest Relations Windows.

There is a possibility that if your package and the stay prior to the package are at the same Resort that you will be able to get the tickets at the Resort and not have to go to a Park Guest Relations Office.

And the tickets issued will be valid for the entire stay; they will not receive valid tickets when they actually check-in to their resort. There is a strong possibility that the tickets you have received prior to check-in cannot be added to your KTTW on or after check-in.

I would suggest you copy down the following information if you are planning to upgrade promotional tickets. If the person in the window is hesitant to upgrade these promotional tickets, ask them go go into The Hub >> WDW >> Work >> Ticketing >> Processes & Business Rules >> Early Ticket Pickup For Resort Packages where they will see the procedure.

Jedimom said:
Thanks for the quick response!!! I'll head over to that forum and start reading.

Honestly it can be done but... Is it just invites problems at the start of your vacation or possibly later that you really don't need to be dealing with. If I've learned anything over the years it's if you're acting outside the normal operations you just invite trouble. ;)

You don't save a dime by booking a package versus room only you really don't... If it was me I'd buy the tickets separately and just get a room only Disney package.

But could we 1) purchase the park ticket package for more days than we stay on-site and 2) activate the park tickets *before* we begin our on-site stay?

Yes, you can get more park days than you have nights at a Disney resort (i.e., if you are staying 3 nights at a Disney resort but want to go to the parks for 7 days, you can get a 7 day park ticket with that 3 night resort stay). As you can see from the info the pp posted, you can pick up your park tickets up to 3 days prior to your Disney resort stay, with the tickets being good for 14 days from activation (unless the non expire option is purchased). If free dining is not offered for your dates, I agree with the pp that booking room only for those last 3 nights and purchasing your park tickets separate would be the best way to go (that is, unless you want the dining plan regardless of whether or not it's free; in that case, you would need to book a package with tickets).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter