Free Dining a thing of the past?

Jenngoofys

Goofyjenn
I know I know Don't Kill me!! But I was thinking with New Fantasyland now being open, and Everyone saying there is really no Low crowd time of year any more, Do you think Disney feels they don't need to offer Free Dining to get people there?
Kind of a "If you Build it They Will Come" Philosophy? Do you think enough people want to visit New Fantasyland, New Test Track, The Captain Jack Sparrow walk through, Splitsville, and anything else I may have missed, that these are enough to bring in the crowds without offering Free Dining?

I know in the past they offered free dining a year before, and early in the same year, and we are now 2 months in and still nothing.

I've been thinking the same thing...I keep reading threads on when late summer or early fall dates will be released for FD. But if they haven't done it yet this year, not sure what makes anyone think they will at all. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE free dining for late summer, had it last year, but I'm trying not to hold my breath for it as it isn't looking too positive. :(

There is a rumor out that the only free dining that will be offered will be the quick service option and it will be offered to the moderate and deluxe resorts. There won't be free dining for value resorts.

They didn't offer any free dining for this past January and early February, when in the past it had been offered. So I have a feeling it is going to be offered less frequently, if at all.

I really hope we are all totally wrong but I always felt like the FD promo was to get people used to feeling like they "had to have it". Now that so many people use it automatically, why offer the discount?

Maybe ONLY code or Bounce Back (my case) to get you to spend money TWICE or more in a year ! No need as too many wait, some with dummy reservations making it appear to be full thus no offer!

I know I know Don't Kill me!! But I was thinking with New Fantasyland now being open, and Everyone saying there is really no Low crowd time of year any more, Do you think Disney feels they don't need to offer Free Dining to get people there?
Kind of a "If you Build it They Will Come" Philosophy? Do you think enough people want to visit New Fantasyland, New Test Track, The Captain Jack Sparrow walk through, Splitsville, and anything else I may have missed, that these are enough to bring in the crowds without offering Free Dining?

I know in the past they offered free dining a year before, and early in the same year, and we are now 2 months in and still nothing.

Instead of "Free dining" they have tried the "Play, Stay and Dine package"...I'm not sure how successful that was. I'm sure if it wasn't a hit then they will hopefully go back to the "Free Dining" promo

I just know that if they stop offering free dining promotions a lot of people will never be able to afford going to Disney. I know many who cant afford it even with the promotions!!

Jenngoofys said:
I just know that if they stop offering free dining promotions a lot of people will never be able to afford going to Disney. I know many who cant afford it even with the promotions!!

Deep discounts like free dining play a huge part in why WDW is thriving in this terrible economy. Disney isn't going to shoot themselves in the foot. They have been offering FD discounts since 2005, so going on 9 years. The fall free ding offers we're first created to fill the parks during the previously dead hurricane season. August and September is still the height of hurricane season. Do you think if they stop offering huge promotions like free dining during this time frame that the crowd levels would remain as high ad they have the last few years? No way. They may cut down on some of the various weeks they offer free dining but they aren't getting rid of it just yet. Those marketing geniuses know what they are doing and anytime they need to fill resorts or the parks they will roll out an FD offer.

Jenngoofys said:

Also, the August/September free dining dates aren't ever released until March, sometimes April, so they are not at all behind on releasing the free dining promo.

Have you called to see if you had any pin attached to your name/ number ? I got a free dining code for jan, feb of this year. ( I got an Email back in october) I just got home two weeks ago and used the free dining code . Good luck!

I know in previous years they have released free dining as early as a year in advance. And in other years I had received a Bounce back offer in my room, and I didn't last year. I am not in need of this this year as I am using leftover DVC points, But I do have a lot of friends asking me if I can keep an eye out for them. I know they usually offer a second round of Free Dining discounts in the Spring, but this time around it will be the first offer for those times. And yes with the New Fantasyland and other new / refurbished things I believe it will still be very Full.

Jenngoofys said:
I know in previous years they have released free dining as early as a year in advance. And in other years I had received a Bounce back offer in my room, and I didn't last year. I am not in need of this this year as I am using leftover DVC points, But I do have a lot of friends asking me if I can keep an eye out for them. I know they usually offer a second round of Free Dining discounts in the Spring, but this time around it will be the first offer for those times. And yes with the New Fantasyland and other new / refurbished things I believe it will still be very Full.

In 9 years of Free Dining promos they have released the August/September FD dates a year out 1 time. Releasing the August/September free dining dates in March/April is the norm. Releasing them 1 year out was a one time exception. We were just at WDW in December 2012 and we had a free dining bounce back on our room for the dates of August 18 - September 28, 2013.

Also, have you seen the new Fantasyland expansion? It's a bit underwelming. The theming is very nice, but its basically one ride, one show, a snack stop and a gift shop. Not going to pack in the crowds or get the word of mouth that say Harry Potter is getting for Universal. And have you read the reviews for Test Track? Does anyone think it's better than the old Test Track? Disney is bringing in the crowds because of the discounts they are offering. They end those discounts and the crowd numbers will fall.

In 9 years of Free Dining promos they have released the August/September FD dates a year out 1 time. Releasing the August/September free dining dates in March/April is the norm. Releasing them 1 year out was a one time exception. We were just at WDW in December 2012 and we had a free dining bounce back on our room for the dates of August 18 - September 28, 2013.

Also, have you seen the new Fantasyland expansion? It's a bit underwelming. The theming is very nice, but its basically one ride, one show, a snack stop and a gift shop. Not going to pack in the crowds or get the word of mouth that say Harry Potter is getting for Universal. And have you read the reviews for Test Track? Does anyone think it's better than the old Test Track? Disney is bringing in the crowds because of the discounts they are offering. They end those discounts and the crowd numbers will fall.

I agree with you 100% yes I have seen the Fantasyland expansion, and Test track. I am going on the idea that not everyone knows what its all about and books planning on it being something big. If I wasn't on Disboards I'd be booking for all of the new things. Splitsville, and more!! And not everyone knows that not all of Fantasyland is finished you see it on TV and it looks finished and amazing. Not everyone investigates like us Here on the Dis. So yes with all the advertising I think a lot of new people will be going, and on the other side of that coin they wont investigate enough and will probably end up there at the more popular times, and we will still get Free dining LOL So I do see it :D I know 3 families waiting for this offer!! And I will be helping each of them. 2 first timers and 1 second timer who did it on their own the first time and spent way more than I ever would ;)

My family will continue to go, but likely it will be every 4-5 years, rather than 2-3. Even with Free Dining we can't afford to go every year. And the extra year to save will still make Disney and option, just not as often.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter