Fred, Wilma and Family do Disney Pre-Trip Report

wilma-bride

<<This space intentionally blank>>
Disclaimer: The publishing of a pre-trip report in no way obliges the author to produce a full trip report post holiday (although I probably will if I have the time)

What is it about Disney? It makes you feel like a child again, lose yourself in the ‘magic’ and do irrational things. Like inviting the in-laws to come with you on your next trip :scared1:

Back in February 2007, high on the euphoria of having discovered Disney’s ‘Best Kept Secret’ and purchased our own little piece of the magic (namely DVC at Disney’s Saratoga Springs), I mentioned to the in-laws that they should join us on a future trip. And so, here we find ourselves, just fourteen l-o-n-g months later, all packed and ready to head off for our 6th trip to the World. But this is no ordinary trip. Not only will the in-laws (I promise I will stop calling them that and introduce them properly in a minute) be joining us but, more importantly, this will be our first ever family trip. Yes, all of us will be discovering the magic together. Having taken five trips previously without the youngest member of the family, we finally decided he was old enough to fully appreciate the joys of a family holiday to Orlando.

So, it was decided. The seven of us would travel together on this holiday. The ‘when’ was fairly simple. It needed to be during school holidays, although the thought of paying ‘school holiday’ prices somewhat irked me. None of us fancied the idea of July or August, the hottest time of the year in Orlando (and most probably one of the busiest). I couldn’t possibly wait until September. In order to use our DVC points, it needed to be before September and so we chose to travel in the Easter holidays. I immediately started pricing up flights and was overjoyed to discover that Virgin Holidays didn’t seem to have cottoned on to the fact that many LEAs had switched to the 6-term year and, therefore, the Easter holidays fell outside of the normal Easter period. I quickly booked a flydrive for us all before VH realised the error of their ways and hiked up their prices. Reservations were duly made for 8 nights at Disney’s Villas at Wilderness Lodge and a further 6 nights at Old Key West. We will be staying in a 2-bedroom dedicated villa at both resorts and are very much looking forward to staying somewhere different.

I must admit to having taken a rather laid-back approach to this trip, due to many factors – the main ones being a) I have never travelled with a 5-year old before and have no idea what he is likely to be capable of in terms of early starts/late nights and b) I have never travelled with 2 pensioners before etc. etc. So, rather than blather on too much, allow me to introduce everyone.

Me (Joh aka Wilma-Bride) - I have introduced myself countless times in previous trippies and the detail never changes ( I just get older!) I love all things Disney (in fact, Disney is growing on me more and more with each and every trip) but also (gasp) love the Universal parks and Sea World. I am really looking forward to visiting Aquatica on this trip.

DH (Gary) – DH never ceases to amaze me when it comes to our trips to Orlando. I have always said that he humours me and indulges my need for an annual trip to the World but, in reality, I am becoming increasingly convinced that he loves it as much as I do and secretly longs to go back. He is the ultimate adrenalin junkie and prefers the Universal parks to Disney (but I can forgive him for that).

Me and DH taken on the Disney Wonder in Aug 07

FloridaAug07405.jpg

DD1 (Sian) – Having just turned 15, Sian is at that ‘Kevin’ stage. I never know, from one day to the next, whether going to Disney World is cool or ‘meh’ (from the Oxford English Teenage Dictionary). Sian is also an adrenalin junkie and is really looking forward to her favourite rides, Rock’n’Roller Coaster and Duelling Dragons.

Misc001.jpg

DD2 (Rhiannon aka Rea) – Rea turns 14 the day after we arrive in Orlando and is really excited about celebrating her Birthday in the Happiest Place on Earth. Our first day will be dedicated to her and she has made all the choices on where we will go and where we will eat that day. She doesn’t ‘do’ rollercoasters or fast rides but makes an excellent ‘bag minder’ ;)

misc001a.jpg

DS (Daniel aka Danny Boy) – This is Daniel’s first trip to the World. He is really excited (obviously) and is most looking forward to seeing Mickey Mouse and the Power Rangers. Since the day we booked, he has been convinced that he is going to eat ice-cream for breakfast every day while we’re there (maybe once – we are on holiday, after all).

misc038.jpg

DMIL (Doreen aka Reeny) – Mother (as I call her) is almost as excited as me (no mean feat, I can tell you). She is looking forward to Kennedy Space Centre and the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot. We get on really well (at the moment) and I just hope we are still on speaking terms at the end of the holiday.

DFIL (Charles aka Chuck) – Charles is the most easy-going, laid-back chap you could ever meet. He is a wonderful guy and, although he is not in the best of health, I have no doubt that (despite his protests about giant mice and ‘happy people’) he will join in with gusto and enjoy himself immensely. He is also looking forward to Kennedy Space Centre and, obviously, meeting the big cheese himself.

Me, Chuck and Reeny at DSIL's wedding reception

102-0253_IMG.jpg

So, there you have it – the whole clan. Due to mega work commitments in the last few months and the aforementioned factors, I am ashamed to admit we don’t have an itinerary as such. We have a few ADRs (some of which I suspect we won’t even keep – don’t worry DISers, I will cancel the ones we can’t make it to) and a couple of other things planned but, other than that, this is going to be a bit of a free-for-all. It remains to be seen whether that kind of approach will work when there are seven people to consider. We all have different ideas of what kind of holiday we want (and expect) and I suspect that the next fortnight won’t be without tantrums and frayed tempers (although I’ll try my best to control myself ;)).

So, I bid you farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Adieu – and see you all in a fortnight!

Thanks for filling us in Joh

Please do a trip report on your return - no matter how brief as it always makes great reading.

Have a brilliant time

Tam

About bloomin time mate !! and if you think you are getting away with doing a full trippie you can think again :lmao:

DD1 (Sian)[/B] – Having just turned 15, Sian is at that ‘Kevin’ stage.

What are you inferring?
I think you'll find that the 'Kevin' stage is a wonderful place to be. :hippie:

Have a great family trip. I do believe you are correct in that Gary is starting to enjoy it all as much as you. :thumbsup2

Kev

Bon voyage, Joh, Gary and clan.

I'm with Danny Boy--ice cream for breakfast. It's mostly milk and eggs and isn't that what you were going to give him for breakfast, anyway?

Everyone have fun and then, Joh, you tell us all about it.

fabulous to see another flintstones trippie coming up.
hope you all have a wonderful time and can't wait for the updates

Disclaimer: The publishing of a pre-trip report in no way obliges the author to produce a full trip report post holiday (although I probably will if I have the time)

Oh yes it does...........

Have a wonderful trip!

Have a great time Joh and go with the flow :goodvibes
Wishing everyone in your party a fantastic time :yay:

Have a fab time Joh. I love the photo of you and Gary in Tritons, it's really nice :thumbsup2

I know I've missed you. I hope you're duly ensconced in the Hilton as we speak. I see the estimated departure time of your flight tomorrow is 17:30 - a 6 hour delay. Yikes! I hope you can chill out and take it in your stride. Still, at least my Danny Boy (did I give him that moniker?) is likely to sleep on the flight which assuages one of your worries.

Have a marvellous time. I hope you all thoroughly enjoy yourselves. :goodvibes

I do believe you are correct in that Gary is starting to enjoy it all as much as you.
Yeah, right! In the same way that Tam is starting to enjoy it as much as you, presumably? Wishful thinking on both your parts, I fear. :rotfl:

Sorry I missed this before you left Joh. Have a wonderful fabulous time with the whole family. (Very cute photo of Daniel by the way) We demand you do a whole trip report!

Deb, you are right in that we are currently experiencing a 5 hour and 15 minute delay. Danny Boy has been behaving himself so far and we got £15 vouchers each from VA, which we can use for food and drink. We decided to pay for the Servisair lounge and, to be honest, it's been a Godsend. I am determined not to let this minor setback get me down, though, and am just looking forward to getting there now. Speak to you all soon :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter