Fred and Wilma - 'The Keys' to 'The World' Day 14

wilma-bride

<<This space intentionally blank>>
Saturday 25th August – Hollywood Studios, a Meet-Up and Man v Food - The Sequel

Before I begin, I completely forgot to mention something in ‘yesterday’s’ report. Remember this?

We bought Daniel a one-day ticket at the ticket window. When I asked for a child ticket, the CM asked Daniel “How old are you buddy”. I’m not entirely sure why I was relieved when Daniel responded that he was 9, since that’s how old he is. I must be paranoid. The cost of the ticket was $40.47 with tax (this will be relevant in a couple of days’ time).

Well, having seen the forecast for the next few days, we had made a decision that we may well need to visit Disney Quest again during the remaining few days of our trip and wanted to see if it we could upgrade Daniel’s MYW ticket to a MYW Hopper Plus. While we were at DTD on the Friday afternoon (After checking in at the Beach Club) we went to Guest Services and asked whether it was possible to upgrade Daniel’s 6-ay MYW Hopper to a 6-day MYW Hopper Plus – it was! I also then explained that we’d bought a 1-day ticket to DQ a couple of days earlier and cheekily asked if the cost of the ticket could be offset against the cost of the upgrade. The friendly CM gave me a little smile and said he would see what he could do. After a little bit of discussion with a colleague, he typed a few things in to the computer, disappeared out the back and then came back and gave me a weird look. I thought maybe he was going to congratulate me on my audacity and inform me politely that he couldn’t apply the cost of the DQ ticket but, no. Instead, with a small grin, he informed me that he had upgraded Daniel’s ticket, offset the cost of the 1-day DQ ticket and applied the remaining amount that THEY OWED ME to a gift card! I was astonished. Apparently, the cost of the new ticket was less than we’d paid for the old ticket (or some such nonsense) and so we actually made on the deal. Only at Disney!

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled viewing and our first day at Disney. We woke up to a beautiful sunny morning, which was a relief after the poor weather of the last few days. Since it was EMH at Hollywood Studios this morning, we were up bright and early.

This was the view from our balcony – much better!

1426_zps5550a2ba.jpg

We were soon showered, dressed and walking down to the lighthouse, where we waited for the Friendship Boat to DHS. There were quite a few people waiting and, although there was no line as such, there was the usual unspoken rule that those who had been there less time held back to let the others who were there first board. Except for one family (there's always one), who arrived at the same time as the boat and calmly strolled up from the end of the pier, barging their way through to try and board first. Appalling behaviour! We were soon all herded on though and it was standing room only as we approached the Swan and Dolphin. The captain only let a few people on here and apologised to those waiting but explained there’d be another boat along soon. The other CM on board was admiring Daniel’s t-shirt (Kermit the Frog) and said his nickname was Kermit when he was a child. I love that the CMs are still so willing to engage with the kids even when they’re not young and cute any more.

We eventually arrived at Hollywood Studios, disembarked and headed into the park. First stop was Toy Story Mania for Fast Passes. We then had time for a quick ride on Tower of Terror before meeting our friends, Peggy and Gary (and two of their sons). We had met Peggy and Gary on the cruise we took back in October 2011 and were very excited to get the chance to spend some time with them.

We had a quick breakfast at Starring Rolls and I was able to cross the first snack off my snack list (yes, I was sad enough to prepare a list of the snacks and treats I wanted to try at WDW this visit). Daniel and I shared the extremely delicious Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcake.

One snack down, several more to go…

1391_zpsd1044cca.jpg

Cross-section

1392_zps0b49ee92.jpg

Gary had a chocolate croissant and a hot tea – boring!

Pain au Chocolat

1389_zps878b5348.jpg

After our healthy breakfast, it was time for a Hollywood Studios classic – The Great Movie Ride. Daniel found Kermit’s handprint (?) outside.

Kermit and Kermit

1393_zps2a107146.jpg

After the GMR, we decided we would try out the new Star Wars ride as we hadn’t done it since it changed. It was great fun, a big improvement on the previous iteration. After the ride, we watched the Jedi training for a while and then Daniel decided he needed a drink so we wandered off to get some water.

We had a little bit of time to spare before our FP return time for TSM so we took a vote on which ride and Rock n Roller Coaster was the clear winner. On the way there, Peggy and I ran across a guy who was recruiting contestants for The American Idol Experience. Since Peggy and I had proved our singing prowess while on board the Disney Magic, we were very tempted to enter…but, luckily, common sense won out and we decided just to have a photo with the guy instead.

For our fellow Karaoke buddies – love ya Char and Wendy

1399_zps29d948ed.jpg

After Rock n Roller Coaster, we just had enough time to pose for some Photopass pictures before bidding Peggy, Gary and the boys farewell.

Aaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhh

Photo1917FourBySix_zps1c47b276.jpg

Since we still had a little time before our TSM Fast Passes were active, we decided to catch the Beauty and the Beast show. We were a little peckish by now so time to tackle another yummy treat off the list. Daniel and I went off to Min and Bill’s to grab a couple of pretzel dogs while Gary popped across the way to a little stand to get some drinks. The pretzel dogs came with chips so I got two, figuring that would be plenty between the three of us.

I had asked for both of the dogs without mustard and, in hindsight, I guess I should have checked. However, when we got seated in the theatre to watch Beauty and the Beast and unwrapped them, there was mustard on both. I left the boys in the theatre and hot-footed it back to Min & Bill’s. Did I mention it was pretty hot today? By the time I got there, I had a bit of a sweat on. As soon as I approached, the CM knew what I was going to say and pre-empted me. She apologised profusely and gave me two freshly cooked hot dogs, two more packets of chips and a couple of huge cookies by way of an apology. I gave her back the packets of chips, explaining we already had some and didn’t want any more, thanks.

I rushed back to the boys, praying that they’d saved me some of the drinks since I was parched now.

My timing couldn’t have been better as the show was just starting.

Pretzel dog – no mustard!

1405_zps2ff83747.jpg

It might look boring (without the mustard) but it was really very nice. A definite ‘will have again’.

Lemonade Slush – very refreshing

1403_zpse70cf85f.jpg

Raspberry Lemonade Slush – delish!

1404_zpsd43d3554.jpg

HUGE cookie

1407_zps31e374b9.jpg

The cookie was very nice, if a little bit melted. Daniel polished it off with no problems.

As far as the show went, I’m afraid I was a bit disappointed. It was a different Belle and she really wasn’t very good. I do hope this wasn’t a permanent change as this was always my favourite show at Disney World. Fingers crossed, the ‘old’ Belle will be back when we go in November.

Finally, it was time for Toy Story Mania, which was great as always.

Since it was quite a nice afternoon, we decided we would head back to the Beach Club and spend some time by the pool. We were going to walk but saw a boat approaching and, being lazy, decided to hop on. Being a stickler for spelling, I couldn’t resist taking a picture of the sign next to the boat jetty.

Spot the deliberate mistake

1415_zps028cb029.jpg

The pool was really busy so, as we were walking through, we decided to grab a couple of loungers before heading up to get our swimming stuff.

We arrived at an empty set of four loungers at the exact same time as a couple with two small children so made a deal to split them, two each! They offered to keep an eye on the loungers for us while we popped up to get changed.

We picked up our wristbands on the way out, quickly went back and got changed, grabbed my Kindle and came back to the pool where I settled myself on one of the loungers while Gary and Daniel went off into the lazy river.

Stormalong Bay

1419_zps75152aef.jpg

We won’t lose him in those shorts!

1420_zps7dbd2111.jpg

Lazy River

1422_zps5fcbc99b.jpg

It wasn’t long before I felt the need for something cool and refreshing.

What to have, what to have

1432_zps78ca3b4b.jpg

I eventually settled on a Poolside Plunge. I asked the CM if it was similar to the Poolside Lemonade which I was so fond of at AKV. Apparently it is exactly the same. Happy days! I made my way back to my lounger and spent a very pleasant couple of hours relaxing, reading, slurping and people watching. I was beginning to like the Beach Club a bit better now….

The perfect duo

1435_zps58740a22.jpg

Daniel was having an absolute whale of a time. There were plenty of poolside games going on and competitions for the kids and he was in his element. It almost seemed a shame to drag him away but we were all just starting to recover from our sunburn so didn’t want to push it. So we all went back up to the room for showers and to get changed for dinner.

We had decided to head to Beaches and Cream for dinner tonight as Gary had a point to prove. After a quick change and a pose for photos outside the villas, we strolled round to B&C.

Beach Club Villas

1448_zps1ef8671c.jpg

When did he get so tall?

1449_zpscccd7d67.jpg

My two handsome fellas

1451_zps692acbb7.jpg

Continued in the next post...

We didn’t have very long to wait for a table at Beaches and Cream but it was still fairly early. Daniel had wanted to sit at the counter but he can be a bit of a fidget so I managed to dissuade him and we were given a small, round table in the middle of the restaurant.

We ordered sodas all round. Gary chose diet coke with cherry syrup, I opted for Sprite with orange syrup and Daniel chose diet coke with orange syrup.

We all ordered different things – hot dog for Daniel (despite one earlier in the day), burger with added cheese and bacon for Gary and chicken burger with added cheese and bacon for me. I know this place is nothing special but we really do enjoy the food here. It is great for a decent burger fix.

Hot dog (with added ketchup)

1466_zpsdb3b4549.jpg

Cheese and bacon burger

1463_zps9c5d8a33.jpg

Chicken burger (hold the salad)

1465_zps95b25994.jpg

Surprisingly, we did have room for dessert and Gary was determined to make up for his poor performance at Yoder’s the previous week. He ordered the massive No Way Jose – ALL TO HIMSELF!!!

In all its glory

1468_zps1d208054.jpg

Daniel and I were sensible and chose to share a Hot Fudge Sundae.

This dessert is as big as my head

1469_zps8477dfc4.jpg

Daniel and I epically failed to finish even half of our dessert, however in the battle of man versus food….

Man won!

1474_zps64f71f31.jpg

We were all absolutely stuffed so settled the bill and decided to take a slow stroll around the Boardwalk. As we were so near to International Gateway, it would have been rude not to go into Epcot. We could hear Off Kilter playing in Canada so headed round there and found a seat, where we sat and watched them finish their set. Daniel wanted to do an Agent Perry mission but it was getting quite late and we didn’t think we’d be allowed to start one. We were due to come back to Epcot the next day anyway so he was comforted a little by that thought.

We stopped on the bridge to France to have a couple of pictures taken but ti was obvious that Daniel’s good mood was disappearing with the setting sun.

At least try and smile, Daniel

Photo2293FourBySix_zpsf1db195c.jpg

This is why I love the Boardwalk

1479_zps337505a8.jpg

So beautiful

1484_zps654e3ad0.jpg

We decided to just head back to the room and watch some television before settling down for the night.

Glad to see another day up Joh.

A lovely day meeting up with friends and lots of lovely food. Well done to Gary on finishing off that mega sundae on his own.

Looking forward to more soon :thumbsup2

Tam

What a lovely day Joh :goodvibes

Cool that you ended up getting money back for Daniel's ticket - like you say, only in Disney :)

We love Beaches and Cream, but my word those ice-creams are HUGE. I got them to make me a "mini" No Way Jose last time and it was heaven in a sundae dish :woohoo:

What a great day, such a fab result with the ticket refund.
Stormalong bay looks fun would love to stay at the Beach club again but it is always fully booked when we go.
Looking forward to reading more.
Oh ! Broadwalk is such a lovely place to stay too ;).

Great review! I love cupcake pictures almost as much as cupcakes! :love:

For our fellow Karaoke buddies – love ya Char and Wendy

I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to... :rolleyes1 ;)

I made my way back to my lounger and spent a very pleasant couple of hours relaxing, reading, slurping and people watching. I was beginning to like the Beach Club a bit better now….

Stormalong Bay is the best :cool1: but I'll bet it's even better with a Poolside Plunge!! :drinking1 :thumbsup2

Surprisingly, we did have room for dessert and Gary was determined to make up for his poor performance at Yoder’s the previous week. He ordered the massive No Way Jose – ALL TO HIMSELF!!!

Daniel and I epically failed to finish even half of our dessert, however in the battle of man versus food….

Man won!

:worship::worship::worship:

Delighted to log on and see another day up :) And holy cow Gary is the new Adam Richman after polishing off that sundae lol. Sounds like it was a great day all round!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter